Are 5 APs significantly more impressive than 4?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: February 2003 Archive: Are 5 APs significantly more impressive than 4?
By someone on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:33 pm: Edit

My senior schedule:

AP Calc
AP Eng
AP Spanish
AP Gov
AP Bio
Band
Gym/health (required)

Would taking an elective (probably journalism) instead of AP Bio be very damaging to my schedule? I would have had AP Chem this year. I really am not interested in science and cannot stand dissecting. I'm confident that I would do well in the class, & would take it if itwould give me a huge advantage, but I'd really perfer not to.

By asdf on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Well, if you want to have another year of s cience, take ap bio, but if that doesn't bother you, take journalism.

By Me on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

I don't particularly want another year of science. I have an A in AP Chem. this year, but I´m really not interested in it, while I am passionate about journalism. I´m just concerned about what colleges would think if I didn´t take it. Thanx for the advice.

By Journalism on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

As long as you're not going to be a math/science/engineering major, take journalism.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Follow your passion.

My daughter is taking a non-AP Shakespeare elective next year instead of AP Econ, AP Psych, or AP Bio and I think it's great.

By John on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Is 14 too much? I am in the IB program and will end the schoolyear with 14 or 15 cause I am in the rigid IB Program.

By 4 on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

John, the thing is will you beable to study for all 14-15 exams? I know IB is packed with the good stuff (hands on experiments every week, and tests/exams every week, with a whole bunch of facts on what defies this law and that law etc). But a lot of the stuff you forget, since there's so much thrown at you. When i looked at the APs available out there, it seems like i'm qualified to take almost half of them, but this doesn't mean i could get 5s out of all of them (since half the material i already forgot). Can't study for all of them, unless you start really early, and that would really suck. But if you think you can study that much, sure, it would be enough.

Make sure you take all the AP math exams, sciences, english and literature stuff. That alone is like 7 APs (those are actually the only AP exams i am going for).

MAKE SURE YOU DO WELL! Getting seven 5s then seven 1s on the rest doesn't look too good.

By wolfsterx on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Ya, following your passions is great; however, you still should consider taking A science course next year regardless of level. Too bad you have to take health in your senior year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page