How recognized is the U of Toronto?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: How recognized is the U of Toronto?
By curious as hell on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

In the USA, how recognized is the U of Toronto? For students in the USA, have you ever heard of the U of Toronto? And for those who are knowledgeable, how recognized is a U of Toronto degree of some sort? For example, if i'm a U of Toronto educated Plastic Surgeon, would i make just as much money as a Plastic Surgeon from Berkeley or whatever? How recognized is the U of Toronto in general? What about Canadian universities in general?

What about the same for Queens? If no, what Canadian university would you say have great programs? Even compared to US schools, and internationally, not just to other Canadian schools.

I've heard all this stuff about how Canadian University diplomas are recognized world wide. I don't believe things so easily, and thus i want personal input. What do you think of Canadian universities, would you attend one, how do you think they rank up against other international (or US) schools? Be honest, my feelings don't get hurt that easily.

By c a n a d a on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

There are definately some world class Canadian institutions. U of Toronto is one of them!

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

Waterloo beat MIT in a mech engineering competition, so that's pretty damn good, u toronto is very good too, number 1 in Canada, prolly with Waterloo ranked number one too, both sharing ranks cuz in maclean's magazine, waterloo isn't ranked, but it's very competitive.

By rohan on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:26 am: Edit

I'm from India,and I applied to University of Toronto.

By rohan on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:27 am: Edit

should have read the University of Toronto

By bump on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:10 pm: Edit

bump

By Hi on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

I am sure U of Toronto is a great school. However, the ordinary American will have no idea about U of Toronto. If they hear the name, they will probably say, "It's in Canada, so it must be second class."

Most people in this forum, people who care about colleges, will probably recognize U of Toronto and other Canadian Universities. In general, however, Canadian Universities are considered a giant step below American (and even British) Universities.

By P.S. on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, if I were to compare U. of Toronto, I would probably say it is a very snall step below schools like UC Berkeley, UCLA, U Michigan, and very far below the blue chip U's (Ivys, Caltech, MIT, etc.). I would say it would be at the same level at good American state U's such as UT Austin, UNC-Chapel Hill, etc.

By oi on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

What about Waterloo? It beat MIT in a few competitions...

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Yea, there are a lot of asians there, haha, cdn universities accept on merit, not this AA crap, so you only see asians, and many whites and indians too. They have a very tough computer engineering program, as well as electrical and mech.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:40 pm: Edit

Oh, if you want really good medical, go to McGill, hope i spelled that right, haha, other than that, it's utoronto and mcgill who take the top for med school, as far as i know, i know i might be missing some place

By Sabzevarian (Sabzevarian) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Ya the minority rate in UBC and Toronto is around 50%. And they all deserve to be there. There is no need for AA (a few native people might get some advantage, but they have basically no effect on the admission averages).

By me on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

Hey, Mitwannabe, i think Queens and the U of Alberta would be up there somewhere.

By Kbeez012 (Kbeez012) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Winning in a few (mostly student-sponsored) competitions does not mean anything. Everybody wins sometimes and loses others. The best engineers do not want to always participate in a "build a robot" competition, they're probably off developing nanowires for semiconductors. Publishing and acquiring funding is a better indicator than some competition that focuses on engineering principles discovered in the 60's. If you want to really understand the difference between american and canadian colleges. Check out this time article.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/intl/article/0,9171,1107990329-22869,00.html

I thought about going to Canada for university, but the educational system is definitely below top american universities that have tons more funding, better professors, newer facilities, more nobel prizes, more discoveries, more publications, more political clout, etc.

So I'm now graduating from Harvard.

By Ivyleaguer (Ivyleaguer) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

who was it that said Canadian Universities weren't up to par with U.S ones? please. U of T is the harvard of Canada. Read this from USnews.

Rigorous too. But cost is only part of the appeal. Montreal's McGill University, Queen's, and Toronto are often compared to Harvard and Yale in terms of the rigor of the academic
experience.

here is the link to the complete article: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/articles/brief/02cbschools.htm

so don't speak about Canuck schools if you don't know anything about them.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page