This is not fair =(

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: This is not fair =(
By someone upset on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

I know this isn't REALLY important, but I'm quite upset about it. At school, I'm very involved in the newspaper, and I want to major in journalism and become a news reporter. This is my main passion and has been as long as I can remember. I do the most work of the section editors and have extra responsablities. In selection of the editor-in-chief for next year, someone who just joined a month ago & DOES NOT EVEN ATTEND THE MEETINGS was selected because he is more popular & "looks like an editor." I'm not friends with a lot of the people in newspaper. I don't have anything against them and get along fine while working with them. It is VERY upsetting, however, to see that popularity means everything. This is my passion, and I have wanted to be editor-in-chief for years. I am still staying a member of newspaper, because I am very interested in it and for application purposes, but if most people are not even arriving at meetings until they are half over (including the people who called the mtgs. in the first place), not finishing their sections until two weeks late while my section that is four times as long is always finished on time, and other irresponsable actions, it's really disheartening and will only get worse with next year's choice of editor-in-chief. Even if he were the most amazing editor (which he isn't), I don't see how the newspaper would at all benefit if he's missing in action.

By i agree on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

life is unfair. cry me a river. This guy sounds like a go-getter.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

My son went through similar frustration with his h.s. paper. My advice is to do what he did: find a way to do some work with your local daily or weekly paper.

Particularly if you are in a small town, your local newspaper will probably be happy to have your help, especially since you'd be willing to work for free!

Try writing some columns on issues teens care about. Also try writing some articles -- well sourced, well researched ones -- that are on subjects that teens in the area would care about.

Also call the paper and see if you can do an unpaid internship or can shadow a journalist there.

As they say, the best revenge is doing well.:)

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Get copies of the last two issues of the school paper that you worked on.

Resign.

Wait for the next issue to appear---the first one without your input. This may take a couple months, and will probably be a real POS.

Save the three papers--and submit them (with an explanation) to some journalism schools you apply to.

By Um... on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

That suggestion seems petty and small. I like it personally, because I AM petty and small, but it seems manipulative and may not reflect well on "someone upset" 's morals or ethics.

Jeez, I wish I were in his shoes JUST so I could do that... brilliant, Morgantruce!

But still a no no.

...brilliant...!

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Welcome to the real world. HS is one big popularity contest.

Colleges will NOT care if you were editor-in-chief for one/two years, but rather that you were dedicated for 4 years. Every HS has a school paper- so it's not a critical EC, it shows what you're interested in.

Write stuff for your local paper.

Don't have a nervous break-down over this, it's not the end of your dreams. Just tough it out, write fantastic articles, save them, submit them to college- you can do this without being editor.

By nyguy on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

ahh learn to socialize. i guess its your fault for not garnering the respect of your peers. remember kids, life is hardly ever about how qualified you are, rather who you know and how you present your assets. i suspect that your not being voted editor has more causes than you simply not being vocal. being able to communicate with others is essential unless you want to do everything by yourself after high schools which is a difficult task indeed. I suggest joining a musical, it will most likely help you come out of your shell or youll dig further into it

By Steve on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Yes. I agree. I feel bad for you, but no one cares in life how qualified you are. It's about image and if you can't work on your's get used to failure. Seriously. It's for your own good.

By •••••••• meter ringing off the scale on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Steve - nyguy What a load of crap.
In real life people-employers,clients,patients,
customers- absolutely do care if you are qualified.
Popularity is not ever as important in any other phase of your life as it is in high school.
A go-getter would actually go to meetings and
do the work.
Someone upset- I like the ideas of northstar mom
Work on your journalism skills at a local paper
Ours often has entire sections, including editorials and opinion on current affairs. If yours doesn't have this maybe you can suggest
it. Write up a proposal for the editors-
if successful this would be a great thing for
the adcoms to see that you were ready to go beyond the HS stuff while still in HS. You
know- ahead of your age in your field. You would also get to work with people who are serious about what they do,are qualified and actually show up.My son did this in his field and found that he didn't even like working at his school anymore because there is a high level of the immature crap such as we see exhibited in
some of the postings on this thread.
Good luck.

By Gold on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

In terms of the messages that have run along the lines of, "Get over it," and "Join a play," I'm not sure it's quite so simple to do that: it's far easier to recommend the above if one hasn't actually experienced what "someone upset" has. Ultimately and most basically, though, it is essential not only for someone with ambitions that involve cooperating with others (as an editorship certainly—and, to some, unfortunately—does) but for any young person in this increasingly hectic and cutthroat world to learn how to relate to others in a confident, honest way—no matter what one thinks of their company.
I, too, was in an enormously similar situation last year, although my competitor was very qualified and remains one of my closest friends. I am still surer than ever that I'd be the better person for the job (this is no ego buildup: I don't feel this way about anything else), but the experience, bitter and temporarily devastating as it was, has made me realize that knowing how to work well with others is a necessity. I'm an independent worker by nature (I always feel that the best way to do a project is to work alone, so I can ensure that every part of it is done well), but I've enjoyed the benefits of working well with classmates, etc. more recently. Colleagues are much more willing to cooperate with you if you approach the situation as if you want to share what's going on with them.
I'm sure this post sounds preachy, but I hope you understand what I've written. I've been through the same thing, and know how bad you feel about this.
Don't give up, though, on the aspect of the newspaper you love—whether editing or writing, because no matter what title you bear there your connection with and passion for what you're doing will bring you the most recognition—and, ultimately, happiness.

By pwirth on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Move on and if you can get a job at a local newspaper as suggested more power to you. Four years of working on t he paper will be more to colleges they like to see commitment over time so remember that and remember high school is over soon. In fact however despite the fact that in the real world employers want qualified applicant it is a fact based on studies that in this society looks and presentation of ones person count in many hiring situations and even my dear in getting admitted to some colleges.
Not that this is right it is often just the way it is.

By your local mayor on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

life is unfair, deal with what you've got.

By sauce on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Enjoy the *sauce*!

By Erin (Erin) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:48 pm: Edit

Write your essay about how that kid had cancer and his last dying wish was to be editor of the paper...so you graciously allowed him.

By Blushingclover (Blushingclover) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

i'm really sorry to hear about that. =\ at our school, we select our ed.-in-chiefs based on their committment and aptitude through interviews and past performance as a staffer and editor. I would, as others suggested, write for the local paper in garnering more experience etc. bestest of luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page