Small town chances...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: February 2003 Archive: Small town chances...
By jk9903 on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

hey, i'm a small town kid from southern NJ, i was just wondering if i have a chance at ivies, johns hopkins, etc. like everyone else here, i guess.

1500 SAT - (770v,730m)

SATII - 800 Bio, 790 Chem, 770 math ic, 770 writing

AP's - 5's on Chem, Bio, and US History. Gave up a lunch last year to take Bio and Chem.

AP's Currently taking: Calc BC and Psych independent study, created my own AP Spanish Lang. class, and Eng. Lit, Calc AB, Physics B, and World History.

1st gen. college goer, from a lower-middle class public high school. (no one else received over a 1380 SAT).

Valedictorian, expecting a prize in the Delaware Valley Science Competition but currently a finalist, holding down a job, AP Scholar, National Merit SemiFinalist, 2nd place regional Voice of Democracy, placed 7th in Bio in State Science Day my freshman year, and consistently 1st in my division every year of science league, and some other stuff that i'm forgetting.

EC's: President of National Honor Society and captain of Science League and Knowledge Bowl, Vice Pres of National Spanish Honor Society, and I've been a valuable member of several other clubs including leads in one-acts and playing the clarinet for 7 years.

Excellent counselor and teacher recs, and i thought my essays were good.

what kind of chances do you think i have? and will being from a small suburb and a dumb high school affect me?

By yourhelper on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 12:05 pm: Edit

I think you have chances as follows:

Cornell- most colleges in
Columiba- atleast 60% chance
UPENN- atleast 65% chance
Princeton, Harvard, Yale- I think you'll get into one
Brown-If you're applying to PLME- i don't think so, but for the university-admission looks very likely
Dartmouth- Pretty Sure
JHU-definetely(your safety)

I think you used your location to your advantage, and it can only help you...no 1 in your class, founder of societies..you really made yourself an attractive candidate at all schools except for Brown's PLME prgram that only accepts 2% of the applicants..GOOD LUCK

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page