Community Service- How Much and what Effect

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: February 2003 Archive: Community Service- How Much and what Effect
By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

I would like to be serious for a moment, but I have a question on community service.

This is going to be the weakest part of my application, so I wanted to ask for your advice.

If I had, say, 100 hours of community service (with a good chunk of it being with the "marginalized" population), how would it affect my application to an Ivy or an almost-Ivy like Georgetown or Northwestern? Grades and tests are not a problem, recommendations are fine, the essay will be my strong point (I love to write), interview I can't say, and EC's should be passable- I have my few, dedicated clubs that I enjoy.

So could Community Service completly knock you from the running? Or could you compensate for it in other areas.

By grammar correcter on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Affect

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 10:44 pm: Edit

??? I used "effect" correctly... effect meaning "what effect would it have" not "how would it be affected". I think you should change your screen name.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

I have similar problem.. my community service is weak, mainly beacuse I can not find any oppurtunites to take. What do you recommend that I can do for community service?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

Because many (or at least the majority) of colleges out there tend to lean towards the left, things like joining environmental cleanup groups of charity groups would look good. But perhaps your guidance counselor would have more info. Good luck.

By To Mattymatt on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 02:43 am: Edit

Mattymatt - call a local elementary school. They're always looking for tutors.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page