Should I submit my new SAT scores to colleges?





Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Should I submit my new SAT scores to colleges?
By HELP! on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

I took the SAT I for the first time last June and received a 1410 (V: 760, M:650). I took it again in January and received a 1390 (V:700, M:690). Schools claim that they only consider the highest score from each test, so if I submitted the recent test, it would bring my highest composite to 1450 (V: 760, M: 690). However, I am concerned that the big drop in my verbal will cause the admissions officers to think that the very rare 760 was a fluke. I also know that the schools I am applying to value verbal much more than math because verbal is a better indication of a student's innate abilities and responds less to coaching (or so I am told). I am a senior and have already submitted score reports to all of my colleges, so submitting this score is purely optional. Also, my intended major is not in the math/sciences realm. Does anyone think that I should send the new scores? I didn't prep for more than three hours either time (I was very busy with finals both times!). Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

By Potter on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

You can't hold SAT 1 scores.

By Dori on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

no. don't send it

By HELP! on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Any other opinions? I know I can't "hold" the score, but if I don't send, no one will know but me. See Potter?

By nyguy on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

i think they may be submitted electronically and updated, although im not 100% sure, so they may already have them. very few schools actually use paper scores

By HELP! on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

I checked with CollegeBoard beforehand. They send the scores electronicaly, but not until you pay to have them sent. Why would they automatically send them? Then they would lose the $6.50 per score report. They are a business, after all. Nyguy or Potter, do you think I should pay to have them sent? I'm trying to decide.

By bump on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 01:29 am: Edit

bump

By Mr0range (Mr0range) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm in almost the same situation as you.
The first SATs I took, I got 770 V / 660 M (1430)
I decided to try again to raise my math and got 700 V / 690 M (1390)

So now my best score is higher, but my verbal dropped considerably.

I don't think we have a choice in the matter. Whatever schools you apply to will see all of your SAT scores.

By HELP! on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Mr0range...did you list any colleges for your scores to be sent to on the score report? Given the option, would you send or not? Our situations are very similar. :)

By HELP! on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, what date did you take the first one on? Are you a senior?

By bump on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 05:11 am: Edit

bump

By bump on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:40 pm: Edit

bump for Mr0range...

By C on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit

MrOrange is wrong...they will not see your scores from retakes after you sent your previous scores, unless you specifically request they be sent again and pay for each score report.

By HELP! on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:02 pm: Edit

C: I know. Do you think that I should send?

By dotmom on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

I would talk to your guidance counselor and possibly one or two of the colleges you've applied to. I talked to the admissions office at one school my daughter applied to about this situation and they assured me that they use the highest individual scores. Also, it's just as likely that they'll consider your new verbal score a fluke as the old score. You're probably OK to send the new scores.

By HELP! on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Dotmom: Thank you very much for your advice. Can I ask how your daughter did? Just curious. And what school you called? Did she take the Jan test? Those curves were pretty wicked. :(

By dotmom on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

I called the University of Rochester - because they have a $10,000 merit scholarship for students who score over 1350. So it was very important to us that we understand how the scores were calculated. As it happens, she took the test twice - the last time in December and got a 1430. So we didn't need to worry about it after all. Honestly, her math score is in the top 25% or better for every school she's applying to - and her verbal is at the high end of the middle 50%. At this point, I think her scores are good enough - and if she gets rejected, it won't be because of low SAT scores. I don't know where you're applying, obviously, but your scores are excellent so you can probably relax. (I know that's easier said than done with all of the 1500+ people posting on these boards. Freaks me out sometimes to be in the company of superhumans...) Just remember you're in the top 2-5% in the country and hold your head up really high! Sorry to hear about the tough curve in January.

By HELP! on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 03:43 am: Edit

Thanks for the advice. How do you think the adcoms would view a dropoff of 60 points on the verbal, though? I am just questioning whether 40 points on the math is worth sacrificing the impressiveness of my verbal score. I know the math is way below average for many of the colleges I am applying to, but, then again, the verbal is way above average (BTW, my targets are the Ivies, like everyone else :)). The 2nd score I earned is kind of average in every way, if you know what I mean. Also, I don't want the adcoms to think that I have reached a plateau at 1400. Submitting only one score may make them think that I did it unpreprred and decided to leave good enough alone. The second score usually comes after prep, and if I wasn't able to up it significantly, they may think I am not capable of getting higher. Submitting only one score seems a little more honest.

Then again, 1450 sounds much better than 1410 and the 690 is a lot closer to being in range than the 650. The more I think about this, the tougher the decision seems to be. Does anyone else have any opinions? What would you do? Thanks.

By bump on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:07 am: Edit

bump


Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page