USC Spring Admits

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: April 2004 Archive: USC Spring Admits
By Gillianaire (Gillianaire) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

I am so excited I got into USC!!!
The only thing is, I got in for spring semester and I don't know if I want to wait. Now it's between NYU GSP or spring at USC. Aahhh! Decisions!

Anyway, how many of you got into spring instead of fall? If so, are you going? I am so torn.

Let me know your opinions and advice. : )

By Ninjatoad (Ninjatoad) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

I got into the spring semester too, I was kind of diappointed at first, because it wasnt my ideal situation, but then I realized that this is awesome. I got into my top choice school which is really hard to get into and who cares if it is in the spring. As of now I am probably going to take my scholarship at the University of Arizona for the fall semester take some classes and then transfer to USC in the spring. It might be hard to get adjusted with our class, but we wont be alone Im sure there are a lot of people who are doing it this year. Plus there is always that slim chance that a spot may open up in the fall. That is my decision as of now, hope this info helps.

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Hey, I was accepted for spring also......what do you guys know about it exactly....? The FAQ wasn't exactly inclusive and I fill like I have a million questions I need answered. That's interesting tho, that you're going to U of A for a semester. Why not just go to a community college? That's what I'm planning on doing even though it's gunna suck for 1st semester......

By John2004 (John2004) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

People accepted for spring...what are your stats?

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

crappppy 1180 SAT. 4.3 weighted gpa.....editor in chief and co-founder of newspaper, writer for the Orange County register's teen movie panel....vice president of JSA, Link Crew mentor, NHS, CSF, Key club...excellent essays...

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

There are two girls on my floor that came in for the Spring semester this year. They fit in perfectly, and one of the girls is like closer with some of these girls than I am, and I've been here all year.

The school also does a lot of things over again that they did at the beginning of the year. They have the Club Fair, bus tours of L.A., etc.

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

o yah, do any of you kno if there's any kind of USC organized extension program......like Berkeley has for its spring admits? Do you think we can appeal.....for fall? Or would they be all, you should be happy we admitted you period!?

By Ninjatoad (Ninjatoad) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

usctrojan34, yeah I am going to the U of A because I got a full scholarship so im gonna take advantage of that for a semester and then go on to USC. My stats were ok nothing spectacular

SAT/ACT:1290/29
GPA: 4.6 weighted
APS: AP Calc AB 5
AP Chemistry 4
APs currently taking: French Language, Spanish Language, English Lit, Physics C, and Calc BC
Good EC's nothing spectacular
and pretty good essay

I also have a million questions so im prolly going to call on monday and ask the counselors there like they suggested

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Yah, that's not a hald bad idea......sure beats a community college. I got a scholarship from U of A as well, but not big enough to go even for a semester...:-) USchicka- what dorms are you in? I was thinking that since we'd be coming for the spring semester...we'd be forced into te Radisson? Not like it's bad or anything. Doesn't the overflow go there? And I'm also REALLY worried about the "freshmen experience...." more like will i be able to have the FULL experience? Am I not a USC member until january or do I still get a student id card and all that first semester? I'm majorly bummed because won't I be missing the entire football season? I'm an obsessive sports nut haha........and I've waited all of HS for the college sports atmosphere....specifically USC....so am I just going to miss out on an entire year of that? Also, do you kno if during first semester, if I'm able t participate in any other university activities.....or am I just totally isolated at some community college for the semester? thanks!

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

lol, I'm actually in the Radisson. Not all students get put there. The 9th floor here opened up for new students, and some others went into random spots that opened up here (like if someone moves into a frat or sorority house). But openings pop up in any dorm, so you may end up anywhere.

I don't know anything for sure, but you probably won't be able to get an ID card until you register. Unfortunately you would miss the whole football season (but it's definitely worth waiting for!). You could always find a student on campus that has an ID card with an activities pass, and borrow it to go to the games. :) Basketball season will be going on when you get here, although our team kind of sucks and not everyone's into it. So although you miss football, and the rest of the fall sports, you won't miss out on an entire year of the college sports atmosphere.

I don't know what other university activities you mean. As I said above you can go to games if you don't mind paying or if you get a student's ID card. For rallies and concerts, they're outside so if you wanted to you could just show up. I'm not sure what activities you mean... If you have a whole bunch of questions you can always email me or go through AIM.

By Gillianaire (Gillianaire) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Yeah, I was wondering if it is even possible to do that, where you go somewhere else for the first semester and then go on to USC for January. Wouldn't you have to send in two SIR's and isn't that not allowed?

I am really curious because I would like to go to New York for first semester too.

I am also really bummed about missing football season and the whole "going away to college in the fall" thing. I am REALLY happy I was admitted, but I wish it could have been for fall.

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Thanks for the info USCChicka. Some of the other activities I'm walking about are major related (broadcast journalism). I was really looking forward to jumping the gun freshmen year and becoming as involved as possible with the Annenberg TV News and the Daily Trojan and Trojan Vision......assuming that freshmen ARE allowed to participate which it seems is the case if you look at their staff pages. And another biff I have with coming in the spring is I'm not going to be familiar with the football team and otehr fall teams......and I'm an aspiring sports journalist so going to the games and getting acclimated with the teams is kind of important. Isn't it expensive to go to fball games without the student ID card?

I know what you're saying with just showing up for campus events and stuff but my problem is, i don't really have any friends going to USC so I don't see that happening lol. I've actually always been intrigued by the Radisson idea and living in a hotel and stuff. Is it really a BIG social issue? I'm the study hard party hard type.....so does living there dramatically affect this?

I'm going to make an appointment with an admissions counselor this week like our letter suggests. I wonder why I didn't get a bigger packet to begin with......like from Annenberg and stuff? Of course all of this won't matter if I don't pull up my C-/D+ in math right now. The anxiety from possibly getting my admissions rescinded is threatening to ruin spring break haha! Do you know if it is a C- that gets it rescinded or a solid C or a D or what? I wonder if they'd let a spring admit student retake a course first semester at a community college since it's not like they'll be at USC anyway......I'm probably dreaming with that one hehe...

By John2004 (John2004) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

About getting your admission rescinded with a C-...I just found out that my dad misread the USC website...lol

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

lol, so we CAN get a C- then?

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

If you want to keep up with the football team and other sports, you can keep up with the athletics site usctrojans.com, as well as message boards like wearesc.com and uscfootball.com. I must admit that these help me procrastinate a lot, just like this website. The message boards have a lot of seasoned fans of USC and they discuss the football players, future games, etc, which could help you learn a lot about the players and team.

Yeah, games are expensive without an activites pass. $45 for regular games (I think that's up $10 from last year- look what success does!) and $65 for UCLA and Notre Dame games. Or of course you could just spend $260 and buy season tickets ;) Or of course you could try to find some random student that isn't going and use their ID card. :)

Living at the Radisson isn't a HUGE social issue. You still meet people and do floor events (we went to Price is Right on Monday and had a barbeque the Sunday before). But the lack of a community bathroom makes you have less interaction with other people, and the wider hallways and heavy doors that close if you don't put something sturdy to hold them open, prevent a lot of people from keeping their doors open. I'm like you, and so are a lot of students at USC, I think, with the study hard, play hard attitude. Even though I'm not in the typical dorm I still find people to party with.

So, to sum the Radisson up:
Positives-
bathrooms, A/C/heater, big rooms, big beds, fitness center/pool/spa, downstairs store, maid service, elevator, TVs with 4 HBOs
Negatives-
not as many floor activites, not as many people running around, not as many doors open

I have no idea about what gets you rescinded. I think that it's not a for sure thing that you get rescinded, but it's grounds to get rescinded I think. lol, I don't know :)

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

ok cool, thanks for the info. I actually think I'd prefer the Radisson but I know you can't apply for it. I was just looking on the radisson's website.......are the USC floors configured in any special way.......or are the rooms the standard 2 bed seperated by a night stand...etc? How high up are you and do students actually use the pool/fitness facilities?

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Sorry, i thought of another question for u....i was looking at the GE requirements and the CORE classes and I noticed math was noticeably missing from the GE requirement......and basic english/science classes as well. Was I looking at the wrong thing or are they really not required? That would rule my world haha....

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

1) USC floors are just like typical hotel rooms (except they've added a closet and a desk). Some students have turned their beds sideways in order or make the rooms bigger, but other than that they are basically the same.

2) The USC floors are 3-9 (there are 11 floors). I'm on the 3rd floor.

3) Students definitely use the fitness room. It closes at 10 though, which is inconvienent for a lot of people. Students use the pool and spa too (although you're not allowed to bring guests).

4) Now that I think about it math isn't required (I've never really thought about it- but that's AWESOME!). A lot of majors, however, require that you take math. There are 2 mandatory writing classes (one you take freshman year and one you take junior year that relates to your major).

There is an Arts and Letters course you have to take where you read. It's neat, though, because there is such a wide variety of courses you can take. If you like science fiction you can take a class where you read sci fi. If you like religion, you can take a class where you read religious texts. Like history? You can take a class where you read historical novels. You can take a class that reads books about Los Angeles. Even if you don't like to read, you can find a class that interests you, I'm sure.

And there are science GEs. One (category 3) is your basic science- bio, chem, physics, etc. Category 4 ranges from science-y courses to courses on drugs or linguistics. So Cat. 4 doesn't really have to be a science class, but Cat. 3 does.

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

For USC sports also go to www.usc.rivals.com. The rivalsí board is strong on football, weak on basketball. They also have a "General Discussion Forum" where you can probably ask all the questions you want about USC. I found one contributor "Domer" very helpful when I wanted to know more about USC.

Be aware though, if you're politically liberal you might find most of the threads in the "General Discussion" forum somewhat off-putting.

By Mdblonde (Mdblonde) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Were you people accepted for Spring 2005 also waitlisted for Fall 2004?

By John2004 (John2004) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

I was accepted to Spring 2005, but not waitlisted for Fall 2004...were you?

By Mdblonde (Mdblonde) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

I got accepted Spring 2005 and waitlisted Fall 2004 for Univ. of MD, College Park. Is it just me or am I in the second most ideal situation to my first choice college (after acceptance of course.)

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

I wonder if us spring admits are placed higher up on the fall waitlist than the people who were waitlisted for fall......wouldn't that only be fair since we were ACTUALLY admitted?

By Gillianaire (Gillianaire) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about too. I hope so. I think I am going to call the admissions office tomorrow and check.

By Mdblonde (Mdblonde) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

so were u all officially waitlisted and placed in spring 2005 as well?

By Fitzy (Fitzy) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

I'm a Spring admit and headed to USC but I'd like to consider a fraternity....do any of the frats take guys in the spring or am i screwed?
I'm from KC and am totally clueless on what i'm going to do in the fall!

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Fitzy- frats do both fall and spring rush, so you'll have a chance to go through the whole process.

By Rydia (Rydia) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

I wasn't exactly accepted for Spring adimssion in the traditional sense but I was offered admission for Spring 2005 on the condition that I complete 18 units with straight A's at another college by fall 2004.

Has anyone heard of this kind of thing before? There's no doubt that I'll take this offer, but I feel as though they want me to further prove myself before letting me in. It's much better than a flat out rejection, but I'm still really disappointed that I won't be able start in the Fall with the rest of the Freshmen class.

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Has anyone called today to ask about our 50 million questions? If i weren't so lazy I'd do it myself.......

By Bck118 (Bck118) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

USCtrojan...there is NO WAITLIST at USC...there is only the Fall 2004 class that is admitted and then the group of you guys that is admitted for Spring 05.

By Gillianaire (Gillianaire) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

I called today and asked a bunch of questions. Like Bck118 said, there isn't a waitlist, and there is no way we can go in the fall.

I asked the reason for this program, and he basically said that USC really wants us (spring admits), but there wasn't enough space in the fall. He said that admissions "thought USC was a really good fit for you" if you got into spring.

The dorms, he said, they cannot "guarantee" space (because they have to say that), but that for the 6 years they have been doing this, everyone has been accomodated.

I also asked about going to other colleges in the fall, and he said they encourage it strongly.

That's about it. Hope I helped!

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

Thanks for the info. If we're NOT on a waitlist of some kind, then why the heck would they tell us in the admissions packet that spaces open up sometimes in the fall class?

Ok, so wait, what do you mean by "other colleges?" Like strictly community colleges.....im assuming that's what your talking about since I'm pretty sure we can't turn in 2 different response thingies to actual universities....? That'd be way cool if we could tho, but then kinda not cuz we'd get all acclimated then have to leave.

By Usctrojan34 (Usctrojan34) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

O yah, also......did you happen to ask about parking and whether or not it would be guaranteed because I know freshmen stand a pretty good chance of getting parking from what I understand. Hopefully we do.......

By Gillianaire (Gillianaire) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

Well, as far as I know, the man on the phone made it clear that we were in for spring and thats it.

I asked him about sending in two SIR's and if you can do that, and he said yes, but I am definitely getting some second opinions on that, I don't know if he understood what I was asking clearly.

I didn't ask about parking, I guess I just naturally assumed there would be. That worries me. I NEED my car!

By Bmurry (Bmurry) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

I am wondering what the best classes to take elsewhere. I want them to transfer.

By Nyr4silverware (Nyr4silverware) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Bmurry, me too... I was thinking about doing a study abroad semester or a term at sea.

Did anyone find any info about what classes they want us to take in the fall?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page