Thoughts On Carleton College

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Thoughts On Carleton College
By Msiangirl (Msiangirl) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:53 am: Edit

Hi,
I'm an international student who just got accepted at Carleton. Any thoughts on the school? Good, bad, whatever?

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:16 am: Edit

Why apply if you absolutely dont know anything about the college?

By Thelazyone (Thelazyone) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:24 am: Edit

Just because you ask for the opinion of others does not mean you are knowledgeless yourself.

By Dagnytaggart (Dagnytaggart) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:01 am: Edit

I haven't been there, but as of yet, everything about the school has been wonderful. Today I got a call from a professor who wanted to answer questions--I thought usually college students did that. Anyway, that was really nice. People hate on Minnesota, but I don't see why. The campus is beautiful (I hope pictures are accurate...) and academics are top-notch. The school is pretty quirky, which I love, and I am most likely going to go there. A review at www.studentsreview.com called Carleton a "celebration of nerdiness." Nice, eh?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:43 am: Edit

Carleton is one of the top liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Excellent academics, caring faculty, close knit students. I have one friend who graduated from Carleton, went on to get his PHD from Princeton, did post-grad work at Cal Tech. I also have a close friend who taught at Carleton as a visiting professor for a year (she graduated from Harvard and got her doctorate from Princeton). She has also taught at Princeton, Cornell, and Harvard and said that she would push her child to attend Carleton over the ivy's for undergrad because she was so impressed with the quality of academics, opportunities available for students, and the interactions between students and faculty. She said she felt that the students at Carleton were much more engaged in their studies and more intellectually curious then most of the students she had elsewhere.

In short, Carleton is a very, very good choice. Congratulations on your acceptance.

By Msiangirl (Msiangirl) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Thanks for the info everybody. I'm still waiting on Cornell and Williams but Carleton is given me a full ride with the Starr Scholarship, making it verrryyy attractive.
By the way, wjk323, there's only so much brochures and websites can tell you. Second opinions help.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page