How To Help A Friend

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: How To Help A Friend
By Underqualified (Underqualified) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

I have a very good friend who got rejected or waitlisted at every college he applied to, including his safeties, which he should have gotten in to. In all, he got two waitlists and six rejections. My question is, how can I help him move off of the waitlist? His WL schools are Franklin & Marshall and Oberlin.

Also, what are some schools that he could still apply to? Maybe state schools? Any help is appreciated...thanks!

By Sizandy (Sizandy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

your friend = you

ha juust kidding. it pissed me off when someone did that to me though so I really am just kidding.

Anyway, I am really happy you're trying to help your friend. When I try to help a friend and I tell people on the board, they like to wonder why they can't do it themselves or some BS like that. Meh.

offer your friend some sound advice. Getting off the waitlist should be a priority now. As a friend, you can help them by writing a letter to the college (from you) and telling them how good of a person they are or why they would be great students at their university.

By Underqualified (Underqualified) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

thanks for the reply.

so, a college would take a letter from a peer seriously? i had considered doing that, but i wasn't sure if they would consider it. oh, and i am trying to help this friend because nobody in his family has gone to college, so he has no support or advice coming from home...he has no idea how to handle all of this. i will definitely write a letter on his behalf, he is probably the most deserving of a college acceptance of anyone i know.

any more advice is greatly appreciated. thanks!

By Sizandy (Sizandy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

totally. let the college know that you didn't write the letter bc he wanted you to. let them know you wanted to write the letter.

tell them that he's worth your time to write the recommendation. that you know him better than any teacher or counselor out there..and the circumstances of his family and stuff.

By Underqualified (Underqualified) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

i definitely will, if it is alright with him. thank you very much!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page