Freshman year at USC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Freshman year at USC
By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I'm British so it took me a while to get a grasp on the US college system (v. different to over here). I know that in most colleges, during freshman year you study a broad range of courses and can pick courses in pretty much any area you like as well as electives from your intended major area of study, right...before you actually declare your major at the end of freshman year?

So in year one at USC will I be able to chose from loads of different courses in all sorts of areas? Or am I restricted to courses offered in the Annenberg School of Communication, where I am accepted??!??

Help me, I'm clueless.

p.s: is anyone else having problems with the search feature on this forum. I haven't been able to search posts for about a month now! v. annoying.

By Bck118 (Bck118) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Hey im going to USC at the Marshall School of Business. And i went to Oxford for a semester last year and I understand what you mean, its WAY different. Anyways at USC, you don't have to declare your major until like sometime your sophmore year i believe. Also first year u have to take like General Ed./Liberal Arts kind of classes which include English/Lit, Math, Language, and tons of different electives from your intended major or any other subject that interests you. You will have an advisor that you will meet at orientation/registration, and they can help you decide on classes and the course of your college studies.

By Evrythingonebad (Evrythingonebad) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Honeymoon, when did you receive your acceptance letter?

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

All USC students have to take a required core of courses. The University has requirements and Annenberg will also have introductory course requirements for each of its majors. Some of those requirements may overlap. Most students need to take these core courses the first two years. You may be able to waive out of some of the courses based on placement tests, IB or AP scores. For example, based on his placement test, my son was able to waive out of the language requrement in the film school. All students have to take the writing course.

A description of the USC core requirements can be found at: http://www.usc.edu/dept/LAS/general_studies/Core/ and consist of general education, diversity, and writing courses.

Frankly these courses are more interesting and sound like a lot more fun than when I went college

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

Thanks guys that helps alot! I received my acceptance packet earlier this month... like the 9th or something... I'm not too sure.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page