When is need-blind NOT need-blind?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: When is need-blind NOT need-blind?
By Shopmom (Shopmom) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Does this seem sketchy to you?
A girl applied to a "need-blind" LAC which typically accepts 46%. Her stats were miles above the school's averages and her EC's and essays outstanding. Interview went great. However, two different people (the interviewer and a seperate alumn) warned her not to give her name when calling the school about a financial situation. (She would not be able to attend without very good financial aid.) When she called the school she was asked to fax a letter to them that same day, so no doubt they knew her name.
Yesterday she was offered a place on the waitlist for this school which was considered a safety. In the same envelope, a letter from financial aid accompanied the admissions waitlist letter. It said that if she is ultimately offered admission she will get zero financial aid for at least one year.
Granted overqualified applicants are denied every year - and maybe if she hadn't received the same warning from two separate people this wouldn't seem so sketchy to me, but it does. Is it just me?

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Hey there...

Both of my wait list letters came from schools that don't guarentee to meet need. My stats should have placed me in the top-25% of all applicants.

The two schools I was wait listed at were Kenyon College and Northeastern University. I was stunned, although I figured that they may not have liked my essays or recs. I used the same stuff for all my apps.

I needed some financial aid, so it would make 'sense' if I was wait listed for that reason. I would understand if I could attribute it to that. What made me crazy was that I had not heard from some of my schools, which are traditionally harder to get into.

Ultimately, I was accepted to a couple of ivies, a top-50 university, a top-50 LAC, and a top-25 LAC, as well as others. Accepted at Yale & URochester and wait listed at Northeastern. Accepted at Grinnell and wait listed at Kenyon.

Weird, weird, weird.

Rob.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page