How to reject a college

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: How to reject a college
By Massie (Massie) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

how do you say it to a college you are not attending? i've never read a letter of this kind and have no idea how to reject those i'm not attending

By Plopfkop (Plopfkop) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

I'm a big fan of the "just don't send them a deposit before May 1st" method.

By Radiostar (Radiostar) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

Send them flashy, expensively-published brochures non-stop for several months, extolling the virtues of yourself and what you can offer as a student.

Then, on May 1st, send them a thin envelope informing them that "while many talented schools applied for my studentship this year, only a very small portion make the cut. I'm sorry to inform you that this year's studentship only had room for one college, and you were not chosen. I hope you have a very promising educational future, whomever you end up admitting."

Then have your photocopied signature at the bottom.

By Punklunchbox (Punklunchbox) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

haha that was great, radiostar

By Ting (Ting) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

wow, cool!!

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

very cool, i think i'm actually going to do that

By Massie (Massie) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

really cute, hope they getat least as upset as i got to my first rejection. so, not sending them the deposit automatically solves everything?

By Demingy (Demingy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

You could just not send a deposit, but that really wouldn't be fair for the WL and fin aid students that really want in (because May 1st is so late, plus the school will probably give you another day or two before "assuming" that you will not be attending). If you know you aren't going to attend, you should either return the card that came with your packet or (if you didn't get one) send a letter telling them that you will not be attending their school..... Or check with the admin office to find out how you need to notify them.

By Najy (Najy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

I really want to do this to the schools I wasn't accepted to..

take their letter and change it around so you reject them.

"Dear BU Office of Admissions:

Your applicant pool was very strong this year, making it one of the nmost competitive years your school has ever seen. With over 25,000 applicants, not everyone can gain admittance. Unfortunately, I am unable to be upset by my denial of admission to your institution.

blah blah blah..."

I just hate the way they pretend to care about rejectees....buck foston university! bah!

By Najy (Najy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

whoops..sorry radiostar...didnt read your post...well we're on the same page at least.

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

lol that's not very fair though, because you're sending this to a school who DID admit you...

but hilarious

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

If you fool around with notifying a college that you won't be attending, all you will accomplish is to make it unlikely that that college will offer admission to anyone from your high school next year.

Write each college you will not attend, and let them know in a brief, businesslike manner. Always be very polite.

Most likely, you will then receive a long-ish questionaire from those colleges. Fill them out and return them.

The colleges have taken a LOT of time considering you. Now it is your turn to be very considerate of them. Doors seem to magically open for people who are considerate. On the other hand, word gets around quickly if you are the kind of person who doesn't answer important mail. When a college mails you an acceptance, that's important! Answer your mail.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page