How much do your grades matter for the last semester?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: How much do your grades matter for the last semester?
By Yoyoiamhere (Yoyoiamhere) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

how much do second semester senior year grades matter? i know they aren't important, but how bad can i do? I have like a 3.98 gpa, or something. how low would they have to be for a college (ivy league, probably brown) to cancel my admission? thanks in advance for any input.

By Matth (Matth) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Why would you want to take a chance now if you've been accepted to Brown? I don't understand why people don't continue to work hard so that they don't jeopardize their acceptance.

By Sybbie719 (Sybbie719) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Who fed you the lie that your final semester grades are not important. Apparently you have not done a good job of reading your acceptance letteres because your acceptance is based on the successful completion of your senior years with greades tht pretty much resemble the ones you got admitted with. So yes, if you slack off your offer can be rescinded.

Don't think for one minute that there aren't people on the waiting list who are praying that you do just that.

By Yoyoiamhere (Yoyoiamhere) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

ok, my question hasn't really been answered. maybe i should explain a little more... i haven't been accepted to brown since it's not april yet, but just assuming i get in, i'm curious about this.

matth- i wouldn't want to jepordize my acceptance, and that's why i'm asking this and trying to figure it out. However, there's a lot of stuff outside of school i'm involved in and I don't want to go crazy with the school work if i dont have to.

sybbie719- i know these grades still matter, and thats why i'm asking this. but everyone knows they're not as important as last semester or junior year. And i couldn't have done a good job "reading my letters of acceptence" because i haven't gotten any yet.

But seriously, i'm curious about this. "Pretty much resemble the ones you got admitted with"... what does that mean? I haven't had a B since freshman year, how many B's can i get now? sorry if this is an annoying post, i just really wanna get some info on this.

By Exy1e (Exy1e) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

how about you just keep working hard until the last day. that would solve everything wouldn't it now? wasted energy you might say? or what's the point? it's for your own good! you're going to have to have that drive to learn if you wanna be successful; the train doesn't stop just because you want it to.

By Mundanesundays (Mundanesundays) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

you guys are being really harsh...I think second semester seniors are absolutely allowed to slack off a bit - we've deserved it! I know that I don't want to be killing myself with work for the last few months if it doesn't matter if my grades drop a little.

I'm interested in this too. Does anyone know?

By Karen182 (Karen182) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

My friend got into Yale early, and was told to maintain a 3.0

By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

let's say you've been admitted to harvard or yale or any ivy and you've gotten straight a's through high school and suddenly this semester you are faced with 2 or 3 b's out of 6 classes.

Is that enough to revoke an admission? By the way, it's not that i'm not trying either. My teachers have just actually gotten stricter, much stricter like nazi's.

for instance, 3/4 of my english class didn't do an annotation for a chapter because we never heard her say anything about it and the teacher got pissed off and made it worth 5 times more than a test so basically everyone is failing. I don't know how I have a 'b' with that point hit.

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

You can still get B's, but I wouldn't get anything below a C if I were you. But you don't have to get straight-A's, either.

By Ptm (Ptm) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

3.0 unweighted with no grade lower than a C is in most cases (95% of the time I'd wager) sufficient.

- PTM

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

whew, thank god! right now i'm cruising on that line (i didn't believe in senioritis last year, but this year, hahaha)

By Claswim (Claswim) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

As long as you don't get more than one or two C's you should be fine. Even if it's a few more than that they might question you but they probably won't revoke your admissions.(to do that you'd probably have to bomb big time) A little slacking is to be expected, but don't take it too far.

By Yoyoiamhere (Yoyoiamhere) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

3.o unweighted and nothing lower than a C --- i hear some people saying things like that, does that qualify for a school like Brown too? thanks for the responses.

By Aterashva (Aterashva) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

The American schools huff and puff. At the end of the day, it is very very very very rare that they revoke admissions for the simple reason that there are very few people in the beginning of july willing to accept admissions. yes, even from select colleges.
The aforementioned clause on the acceptance letter is a symbol of weakness. Contrast the British universities: who don't even NEED to make the threat felt. They simply give out conditional offers. All British students know the threat is real.

The fact is that once American decisions are sent out, the balance of power has shifted. And very very very very rarely does it revert.

By Dcmom3 (Dcmom3) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Here's food for thought. Two years ago a neighbor's son got into Tufts and slacked off his second semester (sorry I don't know how much.) Tufts made him come to the back to school orientation a few days earlier, put him on academic probation for his first semester and made him meet with the dean (THE DEAN!) once a week to make sure he was going to be on track at Tufts. Once he demonstrated via decent grades at Tufts that he wasn't a mistake, Tufts eased up. So don't have too much fun!

By Xdtish (Xdtish) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

what about maintaining an 85 average while taking all AP classes ( 5 in total ) ????

I'm REALLLY tired to study now)

By Matth (Matth) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Aterashva, all I can say is you don't know what you're talking about. Two kids at my h/s last year had their acceptances rescinded because they slacked off and their grades dropped. One at NYU and one at Duke. So yeah, two at one school in one year isn't exactly rare. I just don't understand why someone would be so stupid as to risk it. Think about it, how would it feel to tell your family and friends in July that you now have no college to go to in September?

By Oceanblue52 (Oceanblue52) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Yes, its important to maintain decent grades, but most colleges (hopefully) realize that high school is a big waste of time. If you've been getting straight A's I would venture to say that you can probably get away with maybe 2 B's especially if they're AP classes. C's definitley dont look good, and anything below that is bad news. So, bottom line is, dont be neurotic about your grades, but dont completely slack off. If you guys are lucky, only one grade for the year is reported on your transcript, and with a little math you can see how well you need to do the 4th nine weeks to maintain an A or B. I found last semester that I only needed a 70% on the final in AP Govt to get an A in the class. It was nice :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page