Do colleges find out if you get arrested?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Do colleges find out if you get arrested?
By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Hey! I was arrested last year for shoplifting a replica of the bennifer ring, I'm a crazed fan of J. Lo, they didn't take me to jail or anything but they gave me a fine. Do colleges find out if you get arrested? And do they consider that in admissions?

By Eliel (Eliel) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:20 am: Edit

I dont know!...I have never been arrested...haha!
I hope they do and they REJECT your DUMBASS!!!
hahahahhah...hahaha

By Mr_X (Mr_X) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

Eliel, don't be a dick.

Hey Liek0806, I wondered about that too. I got arrested too. I had an SAT class in the summer, I asked the lady who taught it, and she said they probably do. I dont think they would tho, cos what does getting arrested have to do with admissions right? *shrug*

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:50 am: Edit

Probably because of the people they want. Uhm no the thing is that I don't know if it went on my record or not.
As for Eliel, stop hating, if they reject me, I wont be tripping because at least I know I don't regret anything I do and if a college doesn't what "the kind of student I am" then it's better for me because at least I won't have to fake like I'm some part time intelect and the other Mother Theresa. You only live once, why live restristed.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:54 am: Edit

There's probably a section in the applications that asks whether you've been arrested. Your school will also have to send your school records. That's about it. (Unless they decide to reject you just for being a crazed JLo fan)

By Mr_X (Mr_X) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:56 am: Edit

well if the cops were involved, then u have a criminal record. if not, then u got lucky. besides, i kno person who got caught shoplifting and got into some top UCs. so dont worry.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:12 am: Edit

How can I check if it's on a criminal record.

By Mr_X (Mr_X) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:22 am: Edit

contact ur local police department.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

your innocent untill proven guilty.. if you went to court and were found guilty, then that means you committed a crime... so did you go to court or no? if so you're screwed

By Allena (Allena) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

I'm not sure about undergrad admissions... However I can tell you that if you're aspiring to go into law, you may want to pick another career. In most cases you can't get admitted to a law school with a crimnal record, and even if you do most states won't (Not sure how many, but very possibly all) allow you to take the bar with any kind of record.

You should be ok I think, as long as it was not considered a felony.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

most applications ask a question about that.. i just cant remember whether they ask "have you ever been convicted of a felony"... or if they ask "have you ever been convicted of a crime" ...if the latter is the case the op will have to report it.. unless she severely lacks integrity

By Eskimo (Eskimo) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Juvenile records are confidential in virtually every jurisdiction. Meaning that a school would not be able to verify a representation. In any event, applications would most likely ask about convictions, not arrests.

By Apricot (Apricot) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Most schools ask if you've been arrested (and you do NOT want to lie about it). Also, I'm pretty sure that you school would know about it, and your counselor would tell the schools about it on the school report.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

I don't understand so what do I check if they ask me if I have committed a felony or convicted of a crime. Because all that happen was that I got arrested by the security they took me in to the back room and my parents picked me up and then they billed me a fine, i payed it and i think they gave me some statement of release. I know that if some application asks me if I've ever been arrested I'll check yes but what is this considered a felony or conviction of a crime?

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

I don't understand so what do I check if they ask me if I have committed a felony or convicted of a crime. Because all that happen was that I got arrested by the security they took me in to the back room and my parents picked me up and then they billed me a fine, i payed it and i think they gave me some statement of release. I know that if some application asks me if I've ever been arrested I'll check yes but what is this considered a felony or conviction of a crime?

By Starladki (Starladki) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

i don't think you were arrested...don't the cops have to get involved? or, like, take a mug shot or something? (or have i been watching too many movies...)

By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

liek0806, good luck getting a job.

most companies, not all, will automatically dump your application if you've been arrested or convicted of stealing.

you might want to rethink going to college at all because you just might never get a job.

just kidding. :)

by the way, my friend was arrested for shoplifting but he's still going to college so don't worry about it.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Well, if you're stupid enough to get caught, do you really deserve to go to college?

If you don't have a record, then it should be fine.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

I think your juvenile record gets erased once you turn 18, I think...

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

If you're under 18, the file gets sealed. So I hope you're under 18...

By Claswim (Claswim) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

Even if you do have to tell them you usually get to explain exactly what happened, so if you had a good explaination (what, I don't know) then it probably wouldn't hurt yout too much.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page