Hey Look at this! Need good evalution skills. CLICK HERE

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: February 2003 Archive: Hey Look at this! Need good evalution skills. CLICK HERE
By hello on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

I'll give it to you straight up. Do i have a shot at Upenn, Cornell, NYU, Columbia, JHU, UMich?

Top 15 in class of 325
GPA: 4.45+

::Tests::
SAT I- 1500
SAT II-
Math 1c: 760 (10th grade)
Math 11c: 720
Writing: 710
Chemistry: 740

::Clubs::
-Debate Team: Co-Cap of JV team(10th), Officer(11th/Current)
-Chess Team: Founder/Captain (current)
-Science League Team/Club: President(10th)
-Newspaper Press: Chief News Editor(Current)
-Volunteer Club
-Math Team(minimal committment... not planning to put down)

::Sports::
-Varsity Basketball
-JV Tennis

::Community Service::
-Math Tutoring Program: 3-7 grade students- Founder/President: 4 years running
-Highly committed to Youth Group: President(1 year currently)
-Self-funded trip to Honduras to build home for a family (used money from Camp counseling for 3 years)
-Hospital pianist: play the piano for pediatric patients: 1 and half years running
-Youth Aquatic Leader: teach 3-5 years olds how to swim: 3 years (Paying Job): do not do this anymore
-Special Olympics Volunteer: 3 years

::Summer Activities::
all four summers of high school worked at a Kynder Camp: first summer, volunteer; next 3 paying job

Chances? Much appreciated if critized as highly as possible.... but no idiotic "community college cr8p"

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:34 am: Edit

"Do i have a shot at Upenn, Cornell, NYU, Columbia, JHU, UMich?"

Yes, you do.

Questions:
What the V/M SAT I breakdown? It is important for engineering, if that's what you wanna do.
What do you wanna major in?
Your low SAT II math IIC score might hurt.

By hello on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:40 am: Edit

Thanks Quarky...

To answer your questions
1. i have an 780 Math SATI
2. i want to major in medicine. The reason my ECs do not gear towards that was becuase i was advised not directly show that i want to be only a doctor. I varied my interests becuase it was only recently i chose this field to go into.

i have a question for you. Do i have a strong shot at getting into these schools or just an average shot? Possibly give me percentages?

thanks

By bumping on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:35 pm: Edit

bump

By jeez on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Ok, hello, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MAJORING IN MEDICINE!!!!!!! You have to major in something else and then go to med. school, etc.

By hello on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 01:38 pm: Edit

im sorry for the confusion. What i meant was i wanted to go into the FIELD of Medicine. What i am majoring in is biochemistry.

sorry

By jeez on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

yea sure hello. whatever

By hello on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

can u please access my chances with that said.

thanks

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Hello, a 720 Math IIC score is NOT going to be a problem for you in any way. Your volunteer work should make nearly any college proud to have you.
If you have a photo of you nailing on a roof in the jungle---send copies with your essay!

By hello on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

thank you morgantruce. Now is there any aspect of my total attributes which could hurt my chances at these schools?

By dfsd on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

"access" my chances

By my bad on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

assess

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 07:30 am: Edit

I would have to say that the one thing that could hurt your chances at these schools more than any anything else... would be... worrying about it!

If you were sitting on an admissions committee and you came across an application that just reeked of "I just gotta get in to an elite school--no matter what!" what would you think of the applicant? That attitude SHOWS!

Take a deep breath. Really learn as much as you can about the schools you mentioned. After doing so, I guarantee that you will find that 3/4 of them really don't match up to the kind of person YOU are. Apply only to the remaining 1/4 that does appear to be a good match. Look down the field a bit and you will discover that there are many top quality schools that are a good match for you. Find the matches...ignore the rest.

There is NO WAY that there exists a student that matches up best with ALL the elite schools. Colleges just have too unique flavors for this to happen.

Your EC activities show a sense of maturity that very few others have. Let the crowd obsess about elite colleges as if nothing else matters. Apply to a few elites, a few great schools, and a safety---making certain that every one on the list matches your personality and objectives. Finding that list is a LOT of work for you to do---and you cannot do it while listening to what the crowd is screaming about.

By hello on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Thank Morgantruce for the input and i am sure to take that advise into use. It is very hard to deal with the thought of what my future is ahead without worrying. So i will try to relax and enjoy the days i have left at high school. Thanks

If anyone else has anyone input on my chances please go ahead.

By hello on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

bump

By 59 on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:51 pm: Edit

By ye olde fortuneteller on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Based up your stats, I absolutely guarantee that you will be admited to Upenn, Cornell, NYU, Columbia, JHU, and UMich--all of them will give you a free ride (I checked with them this morning.) Additionaly, you will become a doctor, marry a tall sexy woman, have four healthy children, and live until you're 100.

What else would you like to know?

By niceeeeeee on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 08:29 am: Edit

niceeeeeeeee

By 452 on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 11:43 am: Edit

By jhu premed on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

If you want to be a premed, JHU's biology program is tops -but beware- it is hell hard. Judging by your stats, you have a good chance of getting in (i got in with a 1510 and had similar extracurrics) but you might want to improve your writing score- for biology JHU looks at this score more than your SAT verbal. I also recommend taking the SAT II biology M exam- if you get a 750 or higher, youre almost certain to get in.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page