Amylase's goals for year 2004

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Amylase's goals for year 2004
By Amylase (Amylase) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

1. Be a better user/master of english language, eloquent speaker/writer. Polish my writing skills.

2. Get multi-lingual. I will do French and be fluent in it, and if time permits, a little bit of German.

3. Do more studies in areas: european history, comparative politics, english language, phsych, human geography, French language, world history, writing and other disciplines of social sciences, with or without AP courses. Just be a scholar. Do extensive readings in wide range of fields literature, history, social studies, science. what particularly interested me is reading the writing of voltaire, rousseau, montesquieu (the french trio) and other intellectuals in the age of enlightenment, or napoleanic era or what ever era as long as the writer is a master of english/eloquent and has a strong principle behind his writing (see i can't effectively convey my feelings and meanings through this english language, that explains why i want to polish my writing/do more reading to get more eloquent), and the reason that most of those writings are in French explains in part why i want to learn french.

4. reduce the time previously allocated to natural sciences (i'm already pretty good in this area). if possible, seek some research opportunities (very likely it won't be possible, cause i tried it this year/failed).

5. better my basket ball skills, do more dribbling, and shooting practices, and be a super-player.

6. Do regular exercise and body-building, weight lifting in conjunction with a proper diet. Build my body close to, if not as strong as, that of arnold schwarzenegger.

7. I know practically nothing about visual arts yet. Do some studies on the history of visual arts (italian renaisance, impressionist and romanist forms and other stuff i know nothing about).

at last, i found goals and ways to improve myself in year 2004. i wish each and every of you a productive 2004.

Hope i can get into the college of my dream and good luck to your college hunt

HOOAH!

By College_Kid (College_Kid) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:47 am: Edit

Post deleted for language and attitude. Poster may go on to give advice on other board.

--Moderator Obiwan

(I'd suggest)

By U2rules (U2rules) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

lol........

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:59 am: Edit

College Kid
How rude, Amylase was simply making a positive statement about her goals. Also if you are so above these boards don't comment on them or read them.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:22 am: Edit

Uh, I think Amylase is a guy:

"6. Do regular exercise and body-building, weight lifting in conjunction with a proper diet. Build my body close to, if not as strong as, that of arnold schwarzenegger."

I don't think many girls want to look like Arnie. Anyway, I thought he was a girl for a pretty long time too. Not really sure why.

By Exy1e (Exy1e) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:40 am: Edit

thats probably because his name is "amylase", so you get that "amy" i thought girl too...

By Mrblueskies (Mrblueskies) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

Good for you Amylase. College Kid that was really mean.

By Katkitkit (Katkitkit) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Yup. I must admit, I always thought Amylase was a girl. Never ever crossed my mind that it could be otherwise. Oh well.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

WHAT DID COLLEGE KID SAY!!! Someone tell me LOL

Have the good sense not to ask people to repeat unacceptable posts.
Moderator DoveofPeace

By Nikelaos (Nikelaos) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

amylase, that's great to have goals and ambitions. Very few people do nowadays and automatically dismiss them as naive and pointless... good for you, really.

And how appropriate to be reading Enlightenment-period works whilst trying to accomplish all this ;) I'd suggest some Humanist pieces (Rabelais if you want to read something by a French author... Although I don't particularly like his writing style, it might encourage you to pursue your goals ;]) and Existentialist works too (again for French authors, I'm sure you've heard of Sartre or Camus. And if you want to dabble in German, of course you have Nietzsche, Heidegger and Husserl...)

And again, that's great that you're taking an interest in visual arts... It REALLY has an importance in society, which less and less people realize. Get a strong foundation in the classics, and move on to modernity (and post-modernity, and so forth ;]) as well.

In any case, all the power to you. Good luck, and keep your eyes on the goal. :)

By Claybellinger (Claybellinger) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I thought he was a girl as well, and I'm not sure why either. It might be the name.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Isn't amylase an enzyme that breaks down the sugar amylose?
Wonder why he picked that name. Sometimes I wonder why people do choose their names on this board - some are obvious others.... NOT.

I think this post was nice and I think everyone should have goals.
Good for you, Amylase.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

It's good to see he isn't as depressed at he is normally...

Must be prozac.. haha j/k

By Alex614 (Alex614) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Amylase, I noticed you had an interest in learning visual arts, I recommend a book called They History of Art by Janson. I currently take AP art History, and that book is the bible for anyone interested in art history/ visual arts.

By U2rules (U2rules) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:06 am: Edit

Use good sense and don't repeat unacceptable posts that moderators have been deleted or you, too, will have to find other boards on which to post.
Moderator DoveofPeace

By Upandover (Upandover) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:38 am: Edit

I never catch any of those posts before they were censored... *sighs* darn it. It's so darn mysterious.

I always thought amylase was a girl! Not so much the name but the language, how he's quite emotional sometimes. Not really generalizing here but...erm... actually it is a generalization. haha. But we all have to generalise sometimes.

By Mrblueskies (Mrblueskies) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 08:44 am: Edit

Well Amylase is chinese so (I dunno), why did he choose that name?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Dude, everyone thinks you're a girl. Do something!

By Nikelaos (Nikelaos) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

What does amylase being chinese have to do with anything? ahhahaha

In any case, for some reason I always knew he was a guy... maybe I read in some earlier post about him stating that he was male. And yeah, I always associated "amylase" with the natural enzyme in our organism, not "amy-lase" hahahaha :P

By Upandover (Upandover) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

BTW, What happened to Moderator Obiwan? Haven't seen him/her (I think it's a him) in a while..

Why do you ask?

--Moderator Obiwan

By U2rules (U2rules) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Dear Moderators
Why do you guys hate me so much.
I'm guessing you guys are american.
America is the greatest democracy on the surface of the earth which promotes freedom of speech,freedom of thought and freedom of expression.
Sure everything is best in moderation and I understand the need to ban racially,sexually offensive posts.
But dont you guys think that you sometimes take it a little too far.I understand that your trying to run a business(no sane person could possibly maintain this website for a hobby).
You aspire of making your website accesible to thousands of students thereby increasing your marketabilty.
But you cant get ahead unless you seriously change your whole outlook of this website.Moderators go easy on harmless posts.
Tip-make a user data base like the PR board where users can post their stats and their decisions.
The PR discussion boards are inferior compared to cc but yet they are more popular.
Your obviously not doing something.Change the bg color or the layout of the site.
"Why tinker with a well running machine?"
the only constant on this earth is change so prep yourselves better.
Dont get too pissed off with my post.just adding my 2 cents.
Peace

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

There will be new software and look to the board sometime in the next couple of months. However, we will continue to be consistent in our philosophy about posts that we edit or delete, restricting OT threads, etc. If something harmless is also excessively dumb, it dilutes the value of the board as a resource. While the board is obviously fun and has recreational aspects for some posters, it's primary purpose is as an educational resource.

If you have concerns, you may e-mail us. But your terms of service explicitly forbid arguing with moderators.

If you don't like having posts or threads deleted, perhaps you need to find another board.

--Moderator Obiwan

By U2rules (U2rules) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:30 am: Edit

there you go again
your turning away people from your boards.
I'm guessing you didnt major in marketting in college

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:28 am: Edit

(Pours a bucket of cold water on them)

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:32 am: Edit

Lol, just relax guys ;)

By Amylase (Amylase) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:51 am: Edit

College Confidential is the best college discussion board on the net. Even the name "College Confidential" is something so lovable, an experience i will definetely remember all through my whole life.

I think i'm very fortunate, because i found this website when i received my six rejections last year. Ever since then, it has been my source of information and more importantly, inspiration. I take every rejection and setback as a motivation to revigorate myself. In 2003, i set my goals primarily to improve my academics and test scores (1600 on SAT and 5s on APs). I never reached my goals set for 2003, but i got very close to them. I know test scores and stats aren't everything, but still as i recall what i did last year, i feel satisfied and proud of what i did.

I tend to get over emotional quite often. Most of what i had done is on some sudden/constant (they are so frequent as qualified to be said 'constant') bursts of passion. After some very intense thinking, i set my goals for 2003 which many people considered insane, and it is just that insane passion and this College Confidential that supported me most.

I live in China, and I'm not from a large affluent city like Beijing or Shang Hai, but from a city so small and unimportant that you probably won't even find it on the map. It is from those large cities like Beijing and ShangHai that most U.S. colleges drew their incoming freshmen. We don't have the advantages of those people in large cities. When I first planed to go to college in U.S., I only have some vague ideas about what to do and how to do them. I know nothing about the U.S. admission system, SATs and extracurriculum activities. Those are ideas so alien and unfamilier to me that I could never understood without the help of this board.

As far as i know, most of you american people have a college counselor to consult your college matters, and in addition to that, you could consult with your friends/classmates etc. I don't have a counselor. Ok admitted we have a counselor, but not in american sense. Her job is to descipline us and indotrinate school, government, communist rules and values on us and that's it. And my classmates know nothing about college admissions in U.S. They only know United States teh country, and even on that subject all they know is that 'the U.S. is the imperialist empire on the other side of earth'. May be it is a littel exaggerated, but it's pretty much what is it like in a small city like mine. This has made College Confidential particularly valuable to me.

I'm sorry if i bothered some of you by starting new threads so frequently about myself for selfish ends.

And regarding my screename "amylase". hehe, well when i first get here College Confidential, i was doing animal digestive system in AP biology, and "amylase" is the enzyme i just learned and the first word came across my mind when i created this account. lol

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

So are you a dude or a chick?

By Happykid (Happykid) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

I have always enjoyed your postings, Amylase. You are so enthusiastic and open to learning new things. I, too, thought you were a girl.

I am so glad you have found CC helpful. Living in a small city in China really put you at a disadvantage in the US college admission game.

I am so proud of how you set such awesome goals for yourself ( and continue to do so) and stayed in for the long haul. You are amazing. Keep us all posted on your successes.

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Notice to U2rules: Stop arguing about board policy. NOW. The next post from you on that subject will be your last. Is this clear enough for you?

You don't have to like our policies. You don't have to agree with them. But if you post here, you do have to follow them. And arguing with the Mods, arguing about the board, etc., is against your TOS.

For what it's worth, our customer feedback disagrees with you by a wide margin. We are looking for a certain kind of environment. If all we wanted were absolute numbers, we could get more people by having on-line wrestling in virtual vats of lime Jello.

You may start your own board with your own philosophy. Here, drop it. NOW.

--Moderator Obiwan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page