Club Sport Recruiting

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Club Sport Recruiting
By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Can you get recruited or assisted in admissions to a school for club sports?

I'm extremely good at rugby and would be an asset to any team. Rugby is not (save a few) available at the varsity level. I'm talking about schools like LAC and top universities, so not big sports schools or antying.

I've called a few admissions offices or club sports people and i get different answers every time.

By Gpeso (Gpeso) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

It really matters.... I played rugby aswell.. and while some coach's can give you a little boost in admissions...most can only write a letter of rec.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:31 am: Edit

it really matters?

wait..do you mean it really doesn't matter...?

confused...sorry

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:01 am: Edit

I really do not think you can be "recruited" for club sports. However, if you are good at a sport that is a club sport at a college, go meet with team captains or coaches. In your "Why X College" essays, talk about how one reason you want to attend X college is cause they have a team in your sport and you met with so and so and so forth. It does not get you in as recruiting does, but it shows interest in an EC at their campus and how you can contribute. I know my own kid did that at 6 of her 8 schools where one of her lifelong sports that she really cares about continuing with in college is just a club sport, not varsity at those schools. She met with team captains so she could learn more about the team as this mattered to her choice in going to that school. This came up in her letters/application to the colleges. In this case, am talking of alpine ski racing.
Susan

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page