Still nothing from William and Mary..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Still nothing from William and Mary..
By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

anyone else heard this week..we are out of state.

By Gumbino (Gumbino) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Nope. We're in NJ.

By Iflyjets (Iflyjets) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Still nothing in sunny FL.

P.S. How's your D doing today, Angst?

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Hi Ifly..
She seems pretty good today. I think she would just have liked a YES or NO. She applied EA and it was like oh my when she got deferred and then to get waitlisted that was a tearjerker.
Fortunately she is in UMDCP honors so that is a good feeling.
And she got in despite a lower than normal SAT for honors. So life is unfair ie I dont live in NC so I am not likely to get in but sometimes it works in your favor ie I got a lower than average score than most honors kids at MD but got in Yipee!
We did ask for financial aide at W and M. and sent them a lot of extra info they asked for..

By Iflyjets (Iflyjets) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Hi, Angstridden,

While we checked the block on the commom app that we planned to submit a fin aid request, after running the FAFSA, etc., we ultimately didn't wind up applying for financial aid. I didn't think that W&M would be too generous to out-of-staters with our EFC. The few schools we did send in the requests for fin aid consideration cost more than W&M and asked only for CSS, FAFSA, and 2003 returns, however. Did they ask you to verify a lot of things, or are you self-employed? We have a fairly uncomplicated financial return; just pay it all in taxes (haha).

Glad your D is feeling better. My D received a flat-out rejection from her EA school, and I think she would agree: it is easier to overcome a "No" than to continue hoping with a deferral over her head. Unlike your D, however, her EA choice was not her dream school. We can only imagine that your D's desire for UNC greatly heightened her disappointment. We toured UNC a couple of summers ago. I thought it would be a good match for my D, but she chose not to apply there. Sounds like it would have been a challenging choice to get in if she had applied anyway.

What I think is wonderful is that your D has a terrific choice in UM and it's honors program. And clearly, they really want her to attend; they are inviting her to join the best of their applicants/students. That in itself is something very special. We'll all see what happens after the next few letters arrive (including W&M). Good luck, again, to your D with W&M and all her other choices. Ironically, W&M was the very first college campus my D visited...when she was in 6th grade! Thought it was the quintessential college campus at the wise old age of 11. We'll post the final outcome from here; please let us know which option your D finally selects.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Well honestly I think D. wanted to be accepted but I am not 100% she would have selected it due to distance from home and price being more than MD. But I dont know. She did love the beauty of it and the size.
William and Mary is gorgeous..but I think I like MD better for things to do. I am not sure what she thinks ..if she gets in we will revisit.
I am not counting on her getting in due to SAT and the fact we checked YES we want financial aid on the box.
Where is your D's first choice?

By Cynicalsob1 (Cynicalsob1) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

I'm in California and nothing yet. I'm not expecting it till maybe the 3rd or 4th.

By Waterlogged (Waterlogged) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 07:09 am: Edit

My friend just found out that she got in on Wed by mail. In-state.

By Kco (Kco) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:19 am: Edit

My D applied regular decision. We live in Ohio. Admissions told her two weeks ago that out of state applicants should hear before April 1st. She has not received an acceptance letter as of morning of 3/26/04. W&M is her first choice, but she's in at ND, Miami Ohio and NEOUCOM; all good "seconds." Best of luck to the others who are hoping to attend W&M.

By Txtaximom (Txtaximom) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:38 am: Edit

Nada in TX as of the 25th.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:20 pm: Edit

nothing yet again

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Ok I just called and they said everyones was sent out today! So..anyday now..LOL

By Txtaximom (Txtaximom) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Well seeing as our mail comes via armadillo back, I guess we can leave the mail box alone until middle of next week! Thanks for the info! Someone said Colgate's went out yesterday. Bucknell's went out today.

By Iflyjets (Iflyjets) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

I like that, Txtaximom...Armadillo back! (The visualization on that just makes me chuckle). You must be living in west Texas or the deep hill country.

Angstridden, thanks for calling. At least this way we'll have something to fret (hehe).

Good luck to all our kids!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page