Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Transferring to Berkeley
By Thisisanxiety (Thisisanxiety) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:26 am: Edit

Does anyone think transferring to Berkeley is possible if:

I'm transferring from a community college
3.1 GPA (constant improvement trend)
anthropology major
and a very strong essay?

By Botheredone (Botheredone) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

I don't know. Doubtful, I'd assume. Though my statistics are similar. I however have a lot of work experience/extra cirriculars, also a strong essay and a Philosophy major. Plus I'm an honors student.

We'll both know on the 30th of April

By Thisisanxiety (Thisisanxiety) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:31 am: Edit

ugh. i would do anything to go there.

By Alpinesun (Alpinesun) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:31 am: Edit

funny how everyone seems to have a "strong" essay

By Botheredone (Botheredone) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:32 am: Edit

If you would do anything your grades probably should have reflected that, no offense. Plus, did you do major preparation?

By Thisisanxiety (Thisisanxiety) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

"i would do anything" is different than "i could have done everything"

By Botheredone (Botheredone) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:36 am: Edit

Well then, I like that attitude. I suggest researching everything there is to do. I happen to know UCB has several community college transfer programs that could highly increase your chances.

By Mocksimus (Mocksimus) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

i would chop off my own genitals and feed them to my hamster then eat my hamster to get in

By Thisisanxiety (Thisisanxiety) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:40 am: Edit

Botheredone: is there anything you can you can think of that can be done, considering I've already applied for the fall of this year? It's strange... I never really knew where I wanted to go until it was right here, standing in front of me.

By Botheredone (Botheredone) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:46 am: Edit

Unfortunately no. I suppose there are some drastic measures that can be taken, but you need friends in high places. Like trying to rally some clubs before they make their decisions. My sister went to Berkeley out of high school with a 3.1 GPA for sports. Crazy, isn't it? And she doesn't even care about the school. Though her graduating this year I think should increase my chances exponentially.

You really can wait a year if you don't get in and try again.

I'll ask again, did you take the appropriate steps? Have you completed IGETC, did you do the major preparation as outlined by assist.org

Did you speak to a counselor on what a successful essay for Berkeley should be? Believe me that counts, I'm hoping for UCLA. I've spoken to several people well versed on the school who said 'Write about overcoming an obstacle, they like that'

I don't know what Berkeley likes. I've been told by a counselor I have better chances at Berkeley than LA because of grades, that they're not the biggest factor for that school. I recently was accepted to UC Davis, so I'm thinking I did something right on my application.

By Thisisanxiety (Thisisanxiety) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:50 am: Edit

I have completed IGETC. I have only used assist.org for IGETC-related things. Mostly, I have stuck to the path recommended at my school, by a counselor. I did write about overcoming an obstacle, too.

I'm thinking I did something right, too, because I've gotten accepted by SC and SB so far, and they are the only two I've heard from.

I'm just not sure if the "something" i did right is right for Berkeley. I really hope so.

By Botheredone (Botheredone) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:01 am: Edit

Berkeley and LA are huge on major preparation. I have a friend that was rejected from LA because he didn't complete a course in his major before transferring from a community college.

By Thisisanxiety (Thisisanxiety) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:04 am: Edit

ah.
well, thankfully, I will have taken every anthropology class my school offers, so that's good. I've taken a lot of humanities-related classes -- and I filled my math requirement with a calculus class, which is pretty good, i think, for an anthro major. right?

By Botheredone (Botheredone) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:08 am: Edit

You need to look it up. Political Science at Berkeley not only requires Political Science classes, but History, Literature and Statistics. (Not to mention several Asian History classes)

This is why I applied under Philosophy (my second choice for all the schools I applied to, except Berkeley, where it was my only choice)

By Sardonia (Sardonia) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:45 am: Edit

thisanxiety:

To be honest with you, most likely not. The transfer admins over the phone told me that they knew somebody who got in with a 3.4. In comparison, the transfer admins had 3.8's.

Put an application in anyways, though. You have zero chance if you don't bother.

By Sardonia (Sardonia) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:47 am: Edit

Mocksimus: you would chop off your genitals to get in? Well, if it would get me in, you can chop off mine.

Life as eunuch wouldn't be so rough!

By Sardonia (Sardonia) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:51 am: Edit

I am worried myself, even though my GPA is 3.7, I am an honors student, blah blah.

Come to find out that I will be two IGETC classes short of an IGETC shipwreck. Even though I took english 102 in a different state, they may not count it. I also need one other class.

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask them if this will keep me from being accepted. If it does, then that would *totally* suck.

What do you guys think? I'll have about 70 transferable units and will be two igetc classes short. No berk or UCLA for me?

By Botheredone (Botheredone) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Well lucky for you, actually, Berkeley and UCLA don't exactly shout out, "IGETC!" But that's only because their individual programs for transfer from community college are so specific.

Hope you have some extra curriculars. I'm so done with IGETC, I hate that crap.

By Derbisblue (Derbisblue) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Hey ThisisAnxiety, when did you hear about SB? Good luck to you, keep praying, hope you get into Berkeley!

By Sardonia (Sardonia) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

I do have extracurriculars.

I am so eager to get out of community college, I am ready to start teaching the classes to myself!

This wait stinks!

By Thisisanxiety (Thisisanxiety) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Derbisblue, I heard from SB about 2 weeks ago. I'm definitely praying -- thanks for writing. I'm pretty discouraged, though. This GPA thing sucks so much. I really hope they consider everyone and look at all factors, especially if someone like me has a GPA that's constantly been rising (after a slow start).

By Thisisanxiety (Thisisanxiety) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

A woman I spoke to in the admissions department said that there is a real TECHNICAL cutoff, but that it is 3.0. In other words, anything beneath a 3.0 cannot be admitted. Does anyone know if applications are "thrown out" BEFORE W-I-P (work in progress) updates? My GPA was bad when i first applied, as the semester in which I was replacing two bad grades was still underway. I sent them a letter AND a note on the WIP update about my GPA being higher than 3.0.... is it possible it was still "thrown out?"

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page