Rank these colleges for investment banking recruiting

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Rank these colleges for investment banking recruiting
By Swilson001 (Swilson001) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

I'm a junior looking at colleges to apply to, and I hopefully want to get a good Investment Banking job and then an MBA. Could you rank these schools for which would be best to obtain a job in investment banking?

UVA business school
Emory business school
Georgetown school of foreign service
Georgetown business school
NYU business school
Vanderbilt economics
Duke economics
Michigan business school

By Ghewitt04 (Ghewitt04) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

NYU
Michigan
Duke
Georgetown BS
UVA
Georgetown SoFS
Emory
Vandy

By Dadx (Dadx) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I would say NYU ought to be slightly lower. UVa above G town, I think. Agree with rest. Wharton and MIT would be at top if included.

You should consider not going to business school as an undergraduate, especially if you plan to get an MBA later.

By Swilson001 (Swilson001) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

So if I were going somewhere such as Michigan, you think it would be better to major in economics or something like that, rather than going into the business program?

By Massdad (Massdad) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

It's been discussed elsewhere, but to repeat, there is a widespread sense among us, er, older folks that business is a slacker major. Try econ, for instance, as an alternative.

None of the schools you list are prime recruiting grounds for investment bankers. Even for that, you would need to be at the very top of your class. Of your picks, I'd probably put Duke at the top, and maybe NYU because of geography.

By Dadx (Dadx) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

I dont think undergraduate school business is a slacker major at the schools mentioned, but if you need to get an MBA to end up where you want to, why spend the four undergraduate years doing things that you will be required to repeat? If you want current data from the horses mouth, call Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, or any number of others, ask for their investment banking recruiting coordinator, and briefly and politely ask him/her where they interviewed for undergraduates this year, and where they hired them from. You'll learn more that way than from us.

The econ v bschool at UM is a tricky one to answer. Not sure....at places where there IS a undergraduate B school, there may be a monopoly on interviewing for B school only. Usually, however, engineers are considered highly, so I'm not sure how they set it up.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

just go to Penn!

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

I'll give you some data. I worked at JPMC last summer in their investment bank training dept, so I have access to lists and lists of new hires. Here's a random sample of new analysts:

Harvard 10
Yale 2
Princeton 0
Cornell 8
NYU (stern+other schools) 22
Fuqua 1
Wharton 25
U Chicago 18
Columbia 20
Georgetown 10
Wake Forest 1
Tuck 7
Stanford 6
Boston U 3
MIT 7
UCLA 4
Michigan 7
Vanderbilt 2
Kellogg 13
Emory 4
Berkeley 1

Make what you want of it. But it takes hard work to get in and stay in. The best analysts are kept in the company and never have to attend business school; they're designated as A-to-A's (analyst to associates) and later promoted. A school's prestige only counts so much. Trust me on this. It's more based on hiring location and how possible it is to find an apartment in NY. NY residents have a head start; others don't.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Again as a I said go Penn! (above: Wharton most recruits)

By Dadx (Dadx) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

MZH

Interesting that you are going to Princeton having been in possession of info like the above :) I don't think you meant to say random, either.

Your list may include MBAs, as Tuck is only a graduate program, as is Kellog, and I doubt that that many Chicago undergrads are interested in Wall Street.

On other lists, you will find Princeton more highly represented.

Be careful at NYU. Its location is a big advantage, but there are banks that don't conduct formal interviews there and you may be on your own on a walk-in basis. Of course, its a great deal easier to walk-in from uptown than it is from Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, or Durham.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

As I've mentioned, I took a *random* sampling of both analysts and associates. Princeton certainly gets their students recruited, as do many liberal arts colleges - Williams and Amherst are very common. Please don't gain the conception that no one from Princeton makes it to Wall Street - that's certainly not the case. LAC's are also a very powerful presence, but I just didn't see any in the list I opened. However, I have perused the resumes of many LAC hires as well as hires from an assortment of colleges.

Prestige only gets you so far. The people hired at JPMC all tend to be at the top of their class. They know their stuff - the school never "makes the student" 100%.

To answer the OP's question, just go where you feel like. All the schools you mention give you a high chance of getting recruited.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page