Foggiest UC's

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Foggiest UC's
By Calimom (Calimom) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

Anyone familiar with the year round weather in the various UC locations?

My D knows the weather around Berkeley and Davis, but we're not so sure about conditions at the other schools she's admitted to, the four along or near the coast: UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, and UC Los Angeles.

Is there constant California sunshine or do they get the ocean fog?

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:08 am: Edit

San Diego for some reason is gloomy a lot of the time. Maybe it's because it's near the beach, because Santa Barbara is like that also, just more sun.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:26 am: Edit

Ya, UCLA and SD, espessially in the spring will experience fog until like midday when it burns off, and then it reappers at around 5pm.

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:54 am: Edit

I grew up near UCLA and the weather is great. It is never uncomfortable, and "winters" are relatively short. Summer is a bit warm but that's what the beach is for!

By Coureur (Coureur) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

Most of the UCs are near the coast so they are going to get some fog at least part of the year. San Diego has fog in the spring. Davis has fog in the winter. Riverside doesn't get much fog - try that.

By Sac (Sac) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

UCSC has a long rainy season. I recall at one point their catalogue said: "rain is confined to the months of September through May."

By Haruko (Haruko) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

There could never be constant CA sunshine. Ever watch the weather man on the news? It's a shifty sky up there. Right now we have foggy weather, but everything gets pretty deeper into spring and the fall is nice and bright.

By L_J (L_J) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

If you happen like fog.....and cool tempratures.....cal state humboldt, san francisco state and univ of san fransisco will make you as happy as a clam in mud

By Araesova (Araesova) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

I think UCLA has the best weather, and at nights, boy does it get foggy!!! But in the summer it is the best there. Haven't been to other UC campuses, but from everything that I have heard, UCB has horrid weather, UCSD has pretty good weather, UCSB has decent weather, Davis I have not heard of, UCSC and UCR I don't know, Irvine I heard was actually pretty good. Again, I have not visited any of these campuses except UCLA, which was awesome.

By Calimom (Calimom) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

UC Davis must get a lot of tule fog. I just found this page on one of their websites (one dedicated to the Putah-Cache Bioregion Project) filled with haiku dedicated to the tule fog:

http://bioregion.ucdavis.edu/what/haiku.html

By Sdgirl (Sdgirl) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

san diego has the best weather!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page