Likely-Letters

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Likely-Letters
By Dolleykinsss (Dolleykinsss) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

In all honesty... do only minority students get "likely-letters" from top-ranked colleges.. please don't turn this into a racial disscussion.. it's jsut that i'm a white girl.. praying that i still have a chance at Duke... if someone who is not a minority got a "likely-letter" from a top ranked college (Duke.. Darthmouth) please post

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

No, all types of applicants seem to be getting likelies this year, yes that includes non-URM academic superstars.

By Giants (Giants) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

All types of people get them. Kid in my class last year (white male) got them to Dartmouth and Williams. He's now at Princeton.

By Striderb (Striderb) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

I don't know how prestigious your suggesting, but I'm a white male and received one from Stern at NYU. In fact this is funny because I heard so many people state the opposite- that only rich, white kids are receiving the invites . . . if that consoles you a bit.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Perhaps you're exaggerating a bit? Only one poster said that.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

I know a white male with a likely from Dartmouth and an Asian male with a likely from Duke and Dartmouth.

By Striderb (Striderb) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Candi, perhaps your assuming a bit? I do speak to more people outside of this message board realm :)

By Alex614 (Alex614) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

I got a likely letter from Harvard, and I'm Hispanic.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Maybe I was assuming, but I find it hard to believe that "many" people walk up to you and say that rich white kids get these invite. :)

By Striderb (Striderb) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Well maybe your assuming once more (and hopefully for good), considering "many" people share opinions in "group discussions". But I'm sorry, I must have directly implied that people "walk up to me" with the issue. How silly of me . . .

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Please understand my position, I'm not trying to be rude, but you can understand my natural incredulity.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

All students get them, regardless.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page