ANGRY ABOUT UCSD

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: ANGRY ABOUT UCSD
By Satin94 (Satin94) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

I got REJECTED! Since when was UCSD as competitive as UCLA? Its a friekin public school and its not in the top 25 and they should admit really good qualified people like me! I hate them right now! How do other rejected people feel?

By Mocksimus (Mocksimus) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

are you a freshmen or transfer reject? and UCSD has been getting harder for both groups.

By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

I feel you. I also got rejected from ucsd, despite the fact that I got accepted to ucla and usc. I speculate that UCSD rejected me is because I got into ucla.

What further depressed me is that, today I went to school and discovered some people with signaficant lower stats got in, I mean SIGNAFICANT.

Asian(Taiwanese)
SAT V+M LESS THAN 900
SATII W460M660CL800
UC GPA 4.3

URM
SAT 940
SATII I don't know
UC GPA 2.9

Asian( Taiwanese)
SAT 1200
SATII W430M620CL800
UC GPA 4.5

P.S. That is quite ridiculous. And I hate them,too. I probably will go to USC.

By Charlez (Charlez) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

yea
thats what my counselors told me this year
"UCLA and UCB and UCSD are going to be extremeley selective this year"

next year ALL the UCs will be selective

my friend who got into UCLA got rejected from UCI

=/

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

I know! I don't know WHAT is up with UCSD this year, but I did not get into there, yet got into UCLA. arghhh

By Haruko (Haruko) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

I don't think Taiwanese are considered URM.

By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

-Haruko

You are absoultely right,Taiwanese are not URM.

You probably misunderstood.

What I mean is that it is VERY UNUSUAL that UCSD accepted those from my school who are NOT URM, and have lousy stats.

I am Taiwanese too, but rejected!!!!????

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

Shrug. UCSD is just another college that has more qualified applicants than they have slots. And for the 9,357th time, stats put you in the picture, higher stats improve your percentages, but it's not a stats-driven process. You want a stats-driven process, apply to a Cal State.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

I agree with Thedad here. In addition to that, take a step back and look at how arrogant you all sound; "they should admit really good qualified people like me"- those who are and are not "qualified" are decided by the admissions committee, not you.

-Jesse

By Mocksimus (Mocksimus) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

could not agree more with welshie, if you guys come off in your essays as the annoying little shi** you do here no wonder you were deemed to be not qualified enough for UCSD

By Sdgirl (Sdgirl) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

UCSD is very challenging to get in. Last year, a friend of mine who only scored 1010 on her SAT, and a GPA of 3.7 got into UCLA. I heard that UCLA is giving a big chance to Asian students with low income. But the point is, just because UCLA has a good reputation doesn't mean it's a good school. Personally, I think UCLA is overrated. UCSD is actually better and more challenging. UCSD has the second best science field in the nation, and for the rejects, please pick a college not for its reputation, but for its education.

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:31 am: Edit

Accepted @ LA, rejected @ Davis.

With all these people getting in with sub 1000 scores, I'm surprised to find that LA's average is "1300+"

By Satin94 (Satin94) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:37 am: Edit

I don't think I sound arrogant. I worked incredibly hard in high school, and I mean incredibly hard. I took all the hardest classes and I struggled so much just to get good grades. I think I deserve to get into UCSD. I think they would agree, and maybe they rejected me because they were comparing me with someone who had higher SAT scores? I'm not sure. But THAT is unfair.

By Smartnsweet (Smartnsweet) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:59 am: Edit

I agree with thedad who said it's not a stats-driven process. The UCs are looking for much more than just good grades and high SATs. They take into consideration many things like educational environment, special circumstances, and enrichment programs.
check out:
http://admissions.ucsd.edu/dev3/info/comreview.html

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Nmoreno, you're close to having it figured out: for every "low score", there are *many* high scores to balance it out. It's very steep odds for a low score but it does happen; much better odds for a higher score. But anyone who has a sense of entitlement that they "deserve to go to X school" is one of two things: lacking comprehension about the process or excessively arrogant, take your pick.

Btw, UCLA's average admitted SAT score is reported to have jumped 20 points this year. This is a huge movement when you consider they admit somewhere around 10,000 students. I don't know how UCSD fared this year.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

"I think I deserve to get into UCSD?"

Are you serious? Satin, no one owes you *anything.* You will soon learn that hard work good test scores will only take you so far. If in your essays you sounded like you do here, I can tell you *exactly* why you got rejected. They had plenty of humble, hard-working, and yes BETTER QUALIFIED people to admit. I don't understand... you were admitted to UCLA which is arguably just as good or in some fields a better school than UCSD. What's the problem? Be happy you got in, and stop whining jsut because you can't have a larger collection of acceptance letters.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

^^^^^^Agreed.

By Usmelllikeyuck (Usmelllikeyuck) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

I got into UCSD as a GTO

stats:

GPA 3.6
SAT Is: 1210
SAT IIs: didn't take
Extra curriculars: none

...seriously, though. I got in.

By Roh (Roh) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

^ wtf?
how come they didn't pick my instead?
the admission process is totally random.
i'm guessing they're randomly picking people from a hat.

By Usmelllikeyuck (Usmelllikeyuck) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Then again, I got accepted with the condition that I'd have to complete lower division work at a JC. I think the community college fees/tuition bunk will be waived, though, so it's pretty much free education for a while.
I probably won't go to UCSD, anyway. I got accepted to Davis, too. I'm awaiting Cal's decision, where I will probably be rejected. Is it really THAT hard to get into UCSD?

By Shhh (Shhh) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Maybe they are trying to lower their standards?

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Interesting how there seem to be a lot of people who got into UCLA and didn't get into UCSD on this thread.

I think UCSD has been getting more selective (higher SAT/GPA) year after year because the people who don't get into UCLA come to UCSD. The people who might have gotten into UCSD in previous years are now pushed to UCI, which has gotten some great students because of it. When will it be UC Riverside's turn to reap some benefits of this UC musical chairs game??

PS: sorry for those who didn't get into UCSD. Two young men I know didn't get in last year (after figuring that they would have no trouble) are thriving at UCI.

By Satin94 (Satin94) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

I don't think I sound arrogant at all. Although I got accepted into UCLA, I want to go to UCSD. I'm not mad just because they rejected me, but because they rejected me and I REALLY wanted to go there. I know people who got in who did not work nearly as hard (I know this for a fact) in high school. They rarely did their homework and they got lower grades than me. I know they got in because they probably did a sport or something random, and thats not entirely fair. That is why I'm upset.

Serdu - I never said anyone owes me something. I think I deserve to go there because I worked really hard, but I never said they owe me an acceptance letter. I'm just saying that I'm not one of those people who slacks off and complains, but one who should be rewarded in some way for their hard work. I called UCSD today and they said that the reason I didn't get in was because they misinterpreted some things I wrote on my essay about leadership and such. I also didn't fully explain a summer program I went to. So that sucks, and I feel upset about it. I have every right to feel however upset I want. I only posted here to find out what other people who got rejected are feeling and so that I could let out my anger. I didn't realize people would be so insensitive.

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

i'm tired of people saying

"OMG LOOK AT THESE PEOPLE WITH CRAPPY LOWER STATS THEN ME, THEY GOT ACCEPTED, I GOT REJECTED!"

arghhhhh. stats aren't everything. if you really feel like they made a mistake rejected you go ahead and appeal... but I mean, everyone gets rejected to some places. there's no magic formula in admissions. it SUCKS to get rejected... but no need to be hatin'.

By Pimpmike (Pimpmike) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

I got into UCSD years ago and UCLA told me suck ••••....well not literally but yeah, stating Computer Science during that time when Comp Sci was big was my mistake. I'm not even Comp Sci anymore but Biochemistry. UCSD is better academically than UCLA because students here study more because there is less to do at UCSD. It's soooo quiet that by 6pm the school is like a ghost town.

By Excusememixed (Excusememixed) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

"I'm just saying that I'm not one of those people who slacks off and complains, but one who should be rewarded in some way for their hard work."

Alot of people work hard everyday and don't get rewarded for anything. Wait until you get to adulthood, and have bills, and kids, and other expenses, along with the daily nightmare called STRESS.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

"I didn't realize people would be so insensitive."

Sajin, all that I'm saying is that there are literally tens of thousands of people who got into neither UCSD nor UCLA. You were accepted to the more selective of the two, and you should be happy about that (I'm sure you are). But if you REALLY feel UCSD is the school for you, then by all means appeal.
Realize that it's a little insensitive on *your* behalf to complain about an acceptance to UCLA, but not UCSD, when MANY people on this board where rejected to both. TRUST ME, I was rejected at UCLA and accepted at two more selective schools. Yes, at times the process is unfair and ludicrous and makes no sense and what not, but you know what? That's LIFE. Welcome to the real world.

By Die_Emperor_Die (Die_Emperor_Die) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I'm sure it's been said before, but "hard work" can only get you so far. I don't know any of you personally, but I know some people who are dumb as •••• who put in a lot of effort and get way higher grades than I do. No offense and I'm not saying you are dumb, but "good grades" in high school aren't as important of a factor anymore in terms of predicting your college success and the UCSD adcom happened to realize this.

I guess I'm one of the "stupid ppl with lower statz" you are referring to, based on my grade point average solely. But from a GPA and SAT alone you can't assume you know every criteria I can be judged upon! So before you say that people with "lower stats" don't deserve to get in you may want to rethink it, because you have NO IDEA about their whole picture.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Applauds Die_Emperor.

By Reality (Reality) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

i've also noticed at my school that a lot of people who i thought wouldn't get in, got into UCSD and it was quite a surprise to almost everyone in our senior class.. i'm quite bitter too i'll admit..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page