Engineering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Engineering
By Idonotcare (Idonotcare) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Cornell vs. Upenn vs. Columbia, which one will you choose?

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

For engineering? Cornell.

By Redwingray (Redwingray) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

Of the three, I'm pretty sure that Cornell has the best general engineering reputation, followed by Penn. On the other hand, I'm told that the Penn biomedical engineering program is outstanding, while Cornell is fairly new to biomedical engineering.

And this brings up my question. Of the engineering disciplines, my interest is almost entirely in the biomedical engineering area. If there were no biomedical engineering, then I'd be more likely to be majoring in physics, applied physics, biophysics, or biochem, than engineering areas like EE, ChemE, etc. I'm told that many of the traditional engineering powerhouses have only recently offered majors in biomedical engineering (some faculty and administrators believing that biomedical engineering is really more of a biology area than an engineering area).

So, assuming that the above is fairly accurate, would a prospective biomedical engineering major be best advised to search out who offers a TOP major in biomedical engineering (to the extent one can figure this out), or perhaps also look at the strength of the science department and/or the overall strength of the college, MORE THAN looking at the reputation of the engineering school. This is relevant, of course, because many of the traditional engineering "powerhouses" don't offer or only recently offer biomedical engineering (UMich, UIUC, Cornell) and, from the opposite perspective, some top biomedical engineering schools are not generally considered to be engineering powerhouses (Penn, Duke, WUSTL, and to perhaps Harvard and Yale).

You'd have to figure that the top biomedical engineering grad school programs would KNOW who offers the top biomedical engineering undergraduate experiences. Wouldn't you?

By Idonotcare (Idonotcare) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

USC vs. Lehigh vs. Tulane, which one will you choose?

By Apguy4 (Apguy4) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Cornell

USC

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page