GET AHEAD OF THE GAME

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: GET AHEAD OF THE GAME
By Araesova (Araesova) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

I am a high school senior and I really want to be ahead of everybody else in college. I am going to go to a UC, which one I dont know, and I want to transfer some courses. What I am thinking about is UCSD...do they accept transfer courses so to say without bit*hing, because I heard UC's don't accept transfer courses very easily. If so, what courses should I take to get out of my way, I mean GE requirements. I was also thinking about taking an English course in Community College to get rid of one year because I am majoring in Microbiology. BTW, when I say I want to transfer these courses, I mean I want to take them at a community college. Thanks for the replies!

By Araesova (Araesova) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

bump

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:13 am: Edit

Everyone's gonna hate you in college if you don't dial back the attitude! Don't think "I want to be ahead of everybody else in college," think "I want to take more advanced courses because I'm interested in learning the material" or "I wanna take my general ed's at a community college, where they'll be easier."

No reason to be so competitive!

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:15 am: Edit

The UCs will accept community college courses that are designated as "transferable" on the www.assist.org website.

Also, most UCs (all of the ones I've checked) have their full course catalog posted on the web, so you could read up on how they treat college courses or APs. One can see how they handle AP courses (and that is also an area where at UCSD there is a difference between how the different colleges give credit for the different AP tests). Unfortunately, most UCs, for most AP courses, do not allow AP courses to take the place of GEs.

To confirm for your particular situation , I'd recommend contacting the undergrad adviser for the major you'll be taking, and/or an adviser for the college you will be in, if at UCSD.

By Araesova (Araesova) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:23 am: Edit

Thanks for the help anxious Mom, thats two I owe you lol...

sarbear, please don't think that I mean I actually want to be superior to others. I meant that I want to attain my bachelors early. I want to complete my undergrad in three years, if possible. I stated that incorrectly and I apologize.

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:26 am: Edit

Much better!

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:36 am: Edit

I graduated in 3 years and I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than monetary reasons. I ended up wishing that I had taken my time and smelled the roses more. You're only a young undergraduate once.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page