Need Advice Concerning Sending Research to Colleges...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: February 2003 Archive: Need Advice Concerning Sending Research to Colleges...
By HELP! on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

I was involved in a research project at a large university in the southeast and we just recently had an article published concerning the project. It is around 25 pages long. Should I send it to all of my colleges? I am concerned because it gets pretty technical, and I doubt that many of the admissions officers would even understand it unless they majored in one of the fields it involves. Do you think that it would just annoy them or could it help? It is pretty impressive, but it will probably make my application folder twice as thick and that may not necessarily be a good thing. If I shouldn't send the article, how should I document this? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

By bump on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

bump

By bump on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 10:45 am: Edit

bump

By HELP! on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

what does bump mean?

By olive oil on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

i think it bumps the forum to the top of the discussion board.

By bump on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

correct olive oil...someone must have some advice...bump for answers! :)

By meryl on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Olive oil, your guardian little here. I know you learned that bump stuff from either me or incognito.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Send the abstract. You're right. They will not read a 25 page paper. The abstract would be sufficient. Often colleges also will get such work evaluated by profs who are expert in the area.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:32 am: Edit

Not necessarily, northstar mom.
1) One of the schools I applied for asks for a research paper, if there is one available. So I sent in my 27-page paper (double spaced, counting the title and bibliography pages).
2) I asked one other school if they would accept a research paper; the answer was yes. I submitted the paper and my counselor said that she put it on my file.
3) My research paper is also on the Internet. For another school, I wrote a mostly fictional essay about the future (year 1950) and specified the link in the essay. After I was accepted, I asked my admission counselor if she actually went there; she replied that she did and that she really enjoyed the paper, said that my writing is very good.

So long papers aren't bad after all. My abstract is very short. I could easily write 20 abstracts in one day -- but would that indicate that I have written actual research papers? NO!

By HELP! on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Quarky...may I ask what schools you sent it to? I know Cornell and Swarthmore ask for a research paper. Was your paper science/health related? Mine is like something that you would find in a medical journal, and it is doubtful that they could follow it unless they have knowledge in the area. Like I said before, I think it is impressive for a high schooler, it was published, etc., but I don't even know if they would follow. I am considering just writing a nice paragraph about the experience in my resume. Any more opinions?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

If a college is asking for a research paper, then of course one should send a research paper.

However, if a college does not ask for one, and one has had a work published, I still stand by my suggestion of sending the abstract. One easily can send a copy of the first page of the published work -- and that will include the abstract,and also will prove that it was published.

Oh -- and if one was one of multiple authors of a published paper, it also would be important to tell the college exactly how you contributed to the research.

As mentioned before, adcoms will send things like that to professors expert in that area - to get an evaluation of the work. An expert wouldn't have to read a 27-page document to be able to comment about the quality of a student's research.

The same is true when it comes to evaluating students' journalism or fiction writing. One can read a page or two and will know if a student has talent.

In addition to getting comments from this site, though, it would be a good idea to e-mail the admissions offices at the colleges where one is applying.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page