Need help with EC listing on applications.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Need help with EC listing on applications.
By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Just a quick question, if you participated in some extracurricular activities for a very short time, or really feel you didn't accomplish anything worthwhile in a club or other type of activity (and did not hold an officer or leadership position while you were involved), is it better just not to list it and focus on your stronger activities?

In other words, does "laundry listing" activites look bad?

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Yes, laundry listing does look bad. It's not preferable to list loads of EC's that you had minimal interest in just to fill up spaces on your application. The adcom will wonder, "Where is this student's focus?" It's hard to find where an applicant's true passions lie when they laundry list. And you also will look like you participated in these things just so you could build your resume, another turn off.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:56 pm: Edit

Thank you Candi1657, this is what I was guessing, and truthfully, what I wanted to hear.

By Missj (Missj) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

i agree with candi1657. it's better to list a fair amount of ECs that you kept going at than a few you did here and there for a short amount of time.

hey i have a question. what if you didn't have the chance to join a club junior year, but planned to do so senior year. and the club is one you're really interested in and you want to try out for a position. would anyone include this? would anyone lie and say they did it for two years? or would this be pointless to list at all.

ok and since this thread is about EC listing, would anyone list an award that everyone (in the program you were involved in) got anyways (just for doing it i guess)?

thanks =)

By Missj (Missj) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

oops forgot to add something to my post.
which category would you put internships under?

thank you to anyone's help in advance!

By Mtstudent (Mtstudent) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

I would place it under employment if you have room.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page