Regents

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Regents
By Xeroeeva (Xeroeeva) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

What's the deal with it? Is it a full ride? When do you know if you got one?

I'm just being curious! :)

By Djblink (Djblink) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

no, they give you an honorium. For UCI, it was $9000, UCSD $5000, and UCLA $5500 :)

By Araesova (Araesova) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

ucsd is 5000? I got a regents scholarship for a little over 15000.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

For UC Davis its $7500 per year. For Berkeley it is $1000.

By Shadow67 (Shadow67) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:41 am: Edit

wait a minute, in the letter, I thought they say they would pay you a lot more money if your family shows financial hardship, doesn't it? So if your family is really poor, wouldn't it mean a free ride?

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:55 am: Edit

If your family EFC is zero, then it is a full-ride. Otherwise, it will be a scholarship up to the full need.

If your family has no need, then the different UCs pay an honorarium annually, UCB has the lowest at $1000 per year, UCD pays $7500 per year, not sure of the others.

By Freelancer47 (Freelancer47) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 03:25 am: Edit

Just wondering...how do you check if you received any scholarships if you didn't file a FAFSA?

By Crunchy (Crunchy) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:40 am: Edit

freelancer, i dont think you could get any scholarships from the college, if you didnt file a fafsa.
moreover, i think its hard to get it from other places too.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:19 am: Edit

Yes, you can get a Regents without filing FAFSA. In the case of UC Berkeley my D was asked to interview for the Regents and was told at the interview that she was also admitted. We haven't heard yet about whether or not she gets the Regents. At UC Davis they awarded her the Regents at the same time she was admitted - no interview needed.

Regents is merit scholarship, so you don't need to apply for financial aid to get it. But they will increase the amount of the grant to meet the financial need of those students who get it.

By Gatesbill (Gatesbill) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Araesova,

For UCSD the Regents scholarship is $5000.
If the scholars apply (FAFSA) for financial aid and haventhe financial need (e.g. EFC = 0). The school will meet the scholars' full need through an additional Regents Stipend.
However, the regents stipend will be reduced by any scholarships or benefits awarded by other agengies (i.e. National Merits, Cal Grant, etc).

By Araesova (Araesova) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

I see, thanks for the post Gatesbill. I have a question though, I won the Regent's scholarship but nowhere does it say that I am a Regents scholar. Could I assume that I automatically am? Thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page