WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: WHY!?WHY!?WHY!?
By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Today I got rejected from UCSD's math major. I was shocked, considering that I got into UCLA and USC. What more shocking is that one of my classmate who is also a Taiwanese like me, got accepted to UCSD.

My stats:
Accepted to UCLA, USC
Math Major
V580M710
W630 IC780 IIC740 CL800
GPA>4.5
ELC
Good EC's

The other classmate's stats:
rejected from UCLA
Life Science major
V530M670
W430 IC650 IIC 610 CL800
GPA>4.5
Good EC's

Could anyone tell me why I got rejected but not him. Thanks in advance!!!

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Ok, you need to calm down. You got into UCLA and USC, two great schools. Was UCSD your first choice?

By Karen182 (Karen182) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

It's a mystery. We can guess, but no one can tell you for sure. For one, maybe your friend's essays were better. Or maybe it was just a different person reading the apps. Don't fret, you're into two incredible schools.

By Polly (Polly) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

don't worry too much.. my friend got in SB but got rejected from Riverside..

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

Different applicant pools between UCLA & UCSD, different adcoms.

Sammy, this isn't directed solely at you but when are you !@#$%^&*! hs students going to drop the obsession with comparing stats? Stats are vital but they aren't everything. If it were solely a stat-driven process, there wouldn't be adcoms building a class. It's entirely possible that there 20 people with your exact profile and they took 12 of them. Which 12? Why? Who knows...consider it random.

But get over it, move on, and drop the freakin obsession.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Btw, if I were on an adcom--and I don't think the UC's work this way, they work only by the numbers, but some of the privates do--I'd ding you for not challenging with your SAT II's, doubling up the Math with both the Ic and the IIc and taking Chinese Language when you're a native speaker. The 800 in the last is impressive if your last name is Halloran or Schmidt, not Wu or Kang.

By Heartsofpaper (Heartsofpaper) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

hehe, sammy, there are so many people who would do anything to be in your position right now. ucla's a great school (even better than ucsd, imo) don't worry so much!

By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

Guys, thanks for the inputs.

Actually, UCSD is my 3rd ~4th choice. I didn't feel too bad for myself when I got rejected. I just think the rejection came out of randomness, which is a part of college admission which we will encounter whatsoever.

What really make me angry is that I work so hard in HS and see someone with an inferior stats got in. How would you feel? It is my first rejection. And I am now learning to deal with it. Yes, stats are not everything. But I just can¡¦t stop feeling indignant of the whole admission process.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

Rejection is a part of life.

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

"What really make me angry is that I work so hard in HS and see someone with an inferior stats got in."

While our culture places a tremendous emphasis on the value of hard work, American institutions--yes, including colleges--see it as only a small piece of a much larger puzzle.

By John2004 (John2004) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

"What really make me angry is that I work so hard in HS and see someone with an inferior stats got in."

I don't see what you should be mad...you already got into UCLA and USC!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

Look in the mirror and repeat 50 times: It's not all about stats.

Or, to but it in math language: stats are necessary but not sufficient.

Sammy, your GPA > 4.5 doesn't matter; UC maxes the number of Honors/AP credits it calculates. And with your SAT I's, you actually beat the odds on getting into UCLA.

By Bigfatty (Bigfatty) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:32 am: Edit

My brother would have been happy just to get into one between UCLA and UCSD.

By Plopfkop (Plopfkop) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

You must...be kidding. This exact same thing happened to me (in at UCLA, out at UCSD). I would never choose UCSD over UCLA. Apparently neither would you. I laughed about it. SO SHOULD YOU!! Your first rejection was for a college that you do not want to go to! I mean...cmon.

By May_1 (May_1) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:51 am: Edit

Oh come on! WHO CARES! Even you admit that UCSD was your 3rd or 4th choice. I honestly never get why people get so worked up over others' rejections or acceptances. Just focus on where you're going instead of getting into some sort of p*ssing contest about who get accepted where. I'll echo what other have said, you should consider yourself fortunate. There are quite a few people (on CC and at my school) with significantly higher stats than you (sorry Thedad) that were rejected. With your logic, why should they have been rejected and you accepted? Hmmm?

By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:15 am: Edit

Again, thanks for the inputs.

Well, I think I will go to usc or rpi. I now feel much better. thanks guys.

"I'll echo what other have said, you should consider yourself fortunate. There are quite a few people (on CC and at my school) with significantly higher stats than you (sorry Thedad) that were rejected. With your logic, why should they have been rejected and you accepted? Hmmm? "

Yes. You are right. But from what I know. UC (like UCLA) gives certain number of acceptances to a school(not too many or too few). I think that the reason I got in UCLA is that my school is so lousy which gives me advantages.

I'd not be surprised if "the other classmate" got in as an URM but he is a Taiwanese like me. And we are from the same school.

I know now I sound like an idiot.well

Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,everything.Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,everything.Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,everything.Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything.Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,everything.Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything,Stats aren't everything. .

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

Sammywu,

I find it silly that you decry AA when you take the Chinese w/ Listening and obtain a free 800.

By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:35 am: Edit

I remember we had discussed about it before. Start another thread if you want to talk about it again.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:43 am: Edit

Don't remember it at all, though I believe you. However, I'm not going to start a thread simply to argue with you about it.:)

By Bz_Cp (Bz_Cp) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Post removed for offensive language and flaming.
Moderator DoveofPeace

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

hahahahahahahahahahah x 23987834

By Bz_Cp (Bz_Cp) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Edited. You are skating on thin ice and further inappropriate remarks may make it necessary for you to post on other boards instead of College Confidential.

Moderator DoveofPeace

By Tirednweary (Tirednweary) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

i hear u man...same kinda thing happened to me.
my fren tiRed got into harvard EA u see..hes got ok stats..1500+ sat 1, 2300 sat2 n other stuff..but i didnt..i cant see why..ive got 1180 on the sat1 , didnt give the sat 2 but it cant be that difficult.. this really makes me mad u know..how come he got in n i didnt???
feel sorry for weAry y'all..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page