Accepted at UCLA but not UCSD?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Accepted at UCLA but not UCSD?
By Zachb (Zachb) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Hi, I just checked my app at the UCSD website and it said that i was rejected. I already got into UCLA and am wondering if I should appeal the decision. Here are my stats.
760 V/720 M onetime,
760 V/740 M overall
770 US History, 750 Writing, 750 Math IC
3.56 UW, 3.96 weighted,
good ecs, very appropriate for the music technology major i applied for(ICAM)
vert good main essay about music
I got a 4.2 my first semester 12th grade. I got a 4 in AP physics, and a 5 in US history, also taking 4 APs this year. Also nearly hardest schedule thruout highschool
Also I Am a NAtional Merit Finalist
Lastly, on the UC app i listed my HP CHem and HP spanish 4 classes as non-HP, since it was not one of the preset options, but in the extra info, i told them that i took these two for HP credit. I know people who have very similar grades but much worse scores who got in, do you think that i have a viable argument for appeal? thanks for any feedback

By Plopfkop (Plopfkop) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Same here, in at LA, out at SD. I dunno, I consider UCLA to be the better school. Do you really want to go to UCSD enough to go through all this trouble?

By Sammywu (Sammywu) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

I got in to ucla's math major and expected at least got into ucsd's math. But I got rejected.
it is my first rejection.~_~

By Sovereign (Sovereign) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

UCLA > UCSD.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

UCLA is awesome. Please don't appeal just to add acceptances to your list. But if you're sure UCSD is the school for you, then go for it.

By Zachb (Zachb) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

thanks for the feedback, yeah i know UCLA is better, but they dont have the program i want and i have to decide whether i want the program or the better school, and id just actually like to have this option. So does anyone have any thoughts on the merit of my appeal?

By Plopfkop (Plopfkop) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

If something has changed between now and when you applied, like your senior grades are up drastically or you did something or won an award that one could logically expect you to get from your pre-senior year accomplishments, then maybe you have a chance. Otherwise what reason do they have to change their minds?

By Munkey113 (Munkey113) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

at least you got in to one of them...:(...lol

By Sdgirl (Sdgirl) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:41 am: Edit

For those that said UCLA is better than UCSD, I totally disagree. Just because UCLA has a popular reputation doesn't mean it's a good college. If you care about your education, UCSD is the place. It has the second best science field in the nation. UCSD ALLLLLLL the waaayyyy! UCLA sucks, I heard they admitted a lot of students with low GPAs and SAT scores. It's one of the reasons more people get into ucla than sd.

By Qwerasdf (Qwerasdf) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:09 am: Edit

UCSD is awesome for bioengineering and biology. UCLA is an all around school, its great for finance, econ, business, med school. UCSD cannot match it in all fields. UCLA has a better EE, CE and CS program too, but when it comes down to CS and CE, its a razor thin margin.

UCSD isn't a bad choice either. I would consider it still, because its much smaller than UCLA, you probably will have an easier life and will know your profs better, but who knows. Unless I am able to transfer into biomed engineering at UCSD, I'm not going there.

By Sdgirl (Sdgirl) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Qwerasdf, actually, the biggest UC campus in California is Davis, and then San Diego. So LA is not as big of a campus as UCSD. I believed that UCLA is overrated, UCSD is actually climbing up the ladder every year! The students are genuine and honest, no arrogants....

By Adrockmikd (Adrockmikd) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Last year my friend got into Berkeley but not UCSD or UCLA. It happens

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page