Is this not good enough for UCSD?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Is this not good enough for UCSD?
By Bigfatty (Bigfatty) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Hi guys.

My bro just got rejected from UCLA and UCSD. He is pretty depressed and unapproachable right now. These two were the school of his dreams. Guess he will have to attend community college and try his luck at transferring. Well his stats are:

SAT I 1270
SAT II
US HIST 640
Writing 610
Math 1C 600

GPA 3.6

So far:
Rejected at UCLA and UCSD
Accepted at UCR
Pending at UCI and USC

Do you think he also has any chance in the pending schools?

8 AP classes by completion of high school.
Got four on the three tests he took and is taking 5 AP courses in his senior year, excluding 3 years of English Honors and 5 semester of Principle honor roll. He also goes to a very competitive high school.

By Nucleargod (Nucleargod) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

ECs?

By Bigfatty (Bigfatty) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Not many ECs. He was a member of a club his friend started (officer) and was in class of 2004 committee for a year.

By Css (Css) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

he has a pretty good chance at USC and will definitely get into UCI. there's people at my school with stats like that and most of them got into USC.

By Exy1e (Exy1e) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

if he's got some good ECs, then try appealing

By Roh (Roh) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

i don't think it's good enought for ucsd.
if he applied last year, then he might have gotten in.
think about it, his sat I and II scores are not that high, but his gpa is ok.
this year is also very compeitive too....

tell him to attend another UC, then after one year, he can transfer to a better UC.
that's what i'm planning to do.
personally, i think community colleges suck, they have no "university" life at all.

By Heartsofpaper (Heartsofpaper) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

aw man, that sucks...his stats are a little low, and he probably could have used a little more ec's. i wouldn't use the term "not good enough" though.

i hope your bro feels better.

By Bigfatty (Bigfatty) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

My brother knew UCLA was a reach for him, but he is pretty devastated by his rejection to UCSD. He feels now that all this hard work was not worth it.

I'll give him the advice you guys posted. Hopefully will get to talk to him once he feels better and settles down. Thank you.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

When I looked on the UCSD site, for freshmen who entered fall of 2002, only 13% of applicants were admitted who had gpas of 3.3-3.6

Only 53.3% of applicants with SAT verbals of 600-690 were admitted, and only 44.1% of those with SAT I maths of 600-690 were admitted. Only 50% of SATII writings of 600-690 were admitted.

I would assume that admissions this year would be even tougher, because each year, college admissions has become more competitive.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page