Who's attended LEAD or MITE2S?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Who's attended LEAD or MITE2S?
By MD on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

i'm applying to both of the summer programs for minorities and i was wondering if anyone has already attended. Can u tell me of your experiences there and your credentials that got you accepted?

By Nkemdilim on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:15 pm: Edit

I attended MITE2S. I was waitlisted and then accepted. My academic record was all A's and i B at the time. The essays don't factor in too much into the decision but are required for the app. Ask me some more direct Q's about Mites and I'll answer them.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Nkemdilm (and anyone else who knows about MITES),
About MITEs -- what kind of curriculum did you take in h.s,,including what sci and math courses? What were your board scores?

What kind of students were accepted into MITES when it comes to board scores, grades, etc.? What was the education like there, and can you figure out why MIT is doing this? Looking at the average board scores that are posted on the MITES site, it seems the students are extremely bright and wouldn't need extra help. Is this mainly a recruiting tool or do these high achieving students still need enrichment to be on track to be engineers and to go to MIT?

Where did the MITES grad end up going to college? Did most decide to be engineers?

My son is a freshman taking an IB curriculum whose 8th grade SAT scores were 650,550. He's getting As in Algebra II. He is not sure what he wants to do as a career. He likes both the humaities (philosophy) as well as math and the hard sciences. Does MITEs sound like the kind of program that could be a good fit (assuming he's similar when he's a junior) or does it seem too narrow?

I know these are lots of questions, so thanks for reading them, and I'd appreciate any answers you can give even if you don't have time to answer all.

By Nkemdilim on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Mites is a good fit for your kid if he keeps up the good work in high school. The program is mostly to give students a taste of college life at MIT and other top universities.

1. My curriculum involved all honors classes with a concentration in math and science. Before my acceptance into the program, I had taken (Honors for all the following) Physical Science, Biology 1, Chemistry 1, and AP Biology 1. For math I had taken (Honors for all the following) Algebra 2, Analysis and Trigonometry, Precalculus and Discrete Math, and AP Calculus AB.

2. Board scores? I assume SAT and PSAT and SAT 2's then. My Junior year PSAT was 69 Verbal 73 Math 59 Writing, which was good enough to get me to be a National Achievement Semifinalist (I am happy to currently be a finalist now.) My SAT2's prior to acceptance were 690 Math 1 C and 740 Math 2 C freshman year. Sophomore year I got a 760 on Biology SAT2.
(After acceptance) I got a 1560 on my SAT 800 Math 760 Verbal as well as a 680 on SAT2 Writing.
A few kids got into mites with lower scores, though (1 kid had a 1200 SAT that I know of). The drive to learn is the most important thing though.

3. As far as grades are concerned, I'm sure all of the kids had excellent grades at their respective schools (like top 5 or 10 percent of their classes) and took the most challenging courses available at their schools (some kids in the program had no AP or IB classes since their schools didnt offer them).

4. MIT supports this program because it prepares promising minorities for college who may falter otherwise. It teaches smart (and often pompous) students that they need to seek help at times, learn teamwork skills, and time management skills.

I'll answer the other questions when I find the time.

By MD on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:00 am: Edit

Could you tell me my chances of getting accepted into the program?

I recently took the PSAT:
68 Math
70 Verbal

I have a 4.72/4.88 weighted GPA

Freshman and Sophomore year took all Honors courses including Biology, Chemistry.

Math Courses include Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trig analysis, pre-calculus, and now AP Calculus.

This year i am an IB diploma candidate taking IB World Lit, IB American History, IB/AP chemistry, AP Studio Art and AP Calculus.

Extra Curriculars include SGA vice president, Class officer, docent at historical museum, Varsity swim team, among other things.

Please assess.

By Nkemdilim on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

I'd say that you have a pretty good chance of being accepted even though about 11% of applicants to the program (64 kids) got accepted last year. Your academics are good as well as your extracurriculars and overall interest in academics.

By agentd on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:35 am: Edit

Why does MIT have a special program for minorities? Do they have a special one for whites only or something?

I'm confused.

By MD on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 11:34 am: Edit

bump

By MD on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

What about another program Quest. Who's attended?

By MD on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

bump

By MD on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:24 pm: Edit

I remember someone write in their profile that they've attended LEAD. Any more responses?

By MD on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

bump

By Spark on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

I attended LEAD this past summer at the University of Michigan Business school. It was a geat opportunity and I urge you to apply. I really believe it helped my application because I was recently admitted ED to Wharton. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Also I know the user who goes by "MYCHANCES" also attended LEAD.

By MD on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

I've already applied to LEAD and MITE2S. Spark, could you tell me your credentials that got you accepted, and could you assess my chances of acceptance based on my profile above. Also, could you describe your experiences? What did you do, learn?

By Spark on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Sure...my SAT's were 1420, gpa was a 3.7/4.2 although there were seveal people there with a lower SAT's so I don't think they give much weight to SAT's. Basically, the way the program worked was that we would stay in UMich dorms and attend lectures in various topics such as Decision Analysis, Accounting, etc by professors in the business school. On the weekends we would visit different companies. For example in Detroit we visited a Caddilac plant and the headquarters for GM where we'd listen to lectures, etc. There was a lot of free time and for the most part the people were really cool. We also went on some excursions to malls, theme parks, etc. As I said before I recommend it heartily and I really think it could bolster your application.

I'm not really familiar with the MITE2S program but if you get into both, I say go for LEAD :) It really depends what you eventually want to do engineering or business.

One other thing, you can't really pick your location for LEAD. Michigan wasn't even one of my picks but I was selected to go there. You might want to take that into consideration.

By MD on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 10:42 am: Edit

Spark, do you think it is necessary to have previous business knowledge to attend or get accepted into the program? I have interest in a business career but a lack of knowledge on the subject; this shows in my essay.

By Spark on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

of course you aren't going to be really experienced so I don't think it will work against you at all. My only experience was a part time job.

By MD on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

bump

By a on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/042/metro/MIT_opens_classes_for_minorities_to_others+.shtml

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

that's the best news I've heard in a while! DOWN WITH AA

By dxiw on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

SCREW AA, GOOD NEWS MY FRIEND..

By Nkemdilim on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

About the article:
That's fine with me as long as the program is still primarily for minorities. Good times were had there. No offense, but it would've been weird going to that program with white people.
I hope it remains for minorities only though.

By a on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Right, because it's only racist if it doesn't admit minorities. :rolleyes:

By MD on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

but the program for this summer will still only be for minorities i'm guessing because the application deadline has already passed. Its too late for anyone else to apply. I think if they have this program, it should still be need-based though rather than racial.

By MD on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Spark, has LEAD remained in contact with you after the program and what are the benefits they speak of that continue post-the summer program?

By MD on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Please don't make this post about AA. Who else has attended LEAD?

By Spark on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:06 am: Edit

to MD: There has been minimal contact since the program, but then again only a few months have passed. We all were added to a computer system and, I assume, will update LEAD on our college and career plans. Other than that I'm not sure.

By Spark on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

Also, just to tell you about some of my fellow '02 alumni. One was accepted EA to Harvard, another was accepted ED to Stanford, another ED to Columbia, and then of course I was accepted ED to Wharton @ Penn. Not to mention a high amount admitted to Michigan.

By Aatherealone (Aatherealone) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:47 am: Edit

can i apply even though i am not in the us?

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Mites is u.s. and puerto rico only.

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

i applied too. i hope i get in! i just got a postcard today from them saying that they had recieved all parts of my application.

good luck everyone

By Athene786 (Athene786) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Ickyfoo, good luck to you as well. I applied to MITES too, and recieved my postcard on today. I really hope to get in. I understand it's pretty rigorous academically, but if anyone else has gone to MITES, is there anything you can tell us about the social aspect? Thanx!

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

The social life in the MITES program is very good overall. A lot of it revolves around study groups and fun things like pulling all-nighters in the student center during the school week. The first weekend of the program involves icebreaking and other social activities "Wk 0".
Wk 1 = manageable workload
Wk 2 = It gets hard...quick.
Wk 3 = Hell week.. ask me about this or find out for yourself.
Wk 4 = Still hard, but not hell.
Wk 5 = Hell week 2.
Wk 6 = Finals week. Easiest and awesomest. Several of us played HALO on the big lecture room projectors and plasma tv's and in the dorms for a lot of the time during this week.
There's plenty of arranged events (ask me) and friday nights and saturdays are free for the most part. u can squeeze an hr or 2 of fun on campus during the weekdays. Ask if u have questions!

- Nkemdilim

By Athene786 (Athene786) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:56 am: Edit

Thanks, I have some more questions.
About going off campus: Can you go to a church on Sundays if you want? If you know someone else in Cambridge can they visit you? Can girls leave to get their hair done? What's the process for leaving?

About admissions: Do you have equal consideration if you are a minority, but not the first in your family to attend college, or you don't attend an urban school, or you don't demonstrate a high financial need?
Also, what makes weeks 3 and 5 hell weeks?

Thanks a lot!

By Mina (Mina) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

YES... YOU CAN GO TO CHURCH ON SUNDAYS

IF YOU HAVE TIME TO GET YOUR HAIR DONE... I SUPPOSE YOU CAN GO

WEEK 3 = MIDTERMS AND ENTREPENEURSHIP PRESENTATIONS/INTERNET PROGRAMING PRESENTATIONS
WEEK 5 = ROBOTICS PRESENTATIONS/MECAHNICAL DESING PRESENTATIONS

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

would you have time to do other summer work crap from regular school (like summer reading and other stuff)??

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

About leaving: you can do it anytime during the daytime as long as you tell a TA and you don't have class during that time. I forgot the visitation policy but I didn't see too many visitors. I think that they are allowed though. You can go to a church on Sundays because they are the only completely free days each week. I slept in on those days because I'm atheist/agnostic, hate church, and REALLY needed to catch up on sleep. You COULD leave to get your hair done but there isn't much of a point to doing that. People in the program braided each other's hair quite frequently.

Kids were about 60% non-urban and 40% urban at the program to give you a good idea of the socioeconomic distribution.

Ickyfoo: I really doubt you'd have that much time to do those things unless it is just summer reading.

Who is mina? did you go to mites? I'm MITES 2002.

Hell week consists of what mina said.. and that's in addition to the regular workload.

By Athene786 (Athene786) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page