Question about UCR Chancellor's Reception

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Question about UCR Chancellor's Reception
By Caparanoia (Caparanoia) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

I got into UCR with a chancellor's scholarship and already applied for the honors program. I also got into UCSB and waiting for UCI. My first choice is UCI but what if I don't get in? I'm worried which UC I should go to if I don't get into UCI. From USNews Ranking UCSB is far above UCR and par with UCI. But UCSB is big party school and I don't know how good their academics are. On the other hand, I heard UCR is very underrated just because of its location. Should I go to the chancellor's reception?

By Ucsbheart (Ucsbheart) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:47 am: Edit

absolutely go... but be prepared for the big sell! There will be alot of faculty and schmoozing. BTW, UCSB is generally higher ranked than UCI (from everything I have heard) and isn't as much of a party school as everyone on this board seems to think. But I'm a little biased...

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:19 am: Edit

Caparanoia,
I would definately go, I agree with Ucsbheart, the older folks are going to try to win you over but you may find some faculty from your major or department. Visit the websites for the major, generally all the UC's have good programs but many shine in a couple of majors or departments. Go to the discover days, these are kind of like an open house for the UC's, you can take tram tours of the campuses and dorms. Also every department and student group is on campus and you get a better feel of what the student body and feel of the school is like. UCR (my alma mater) will have its discover days on April 17 and 24. UCSB is on April 3, and UCI on April 7,8,14,15. They may have already sent you an invitation or go to their respective websites and check them out. Good luck

By Caparanoia (Caparanoia) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

Thanks for the replies but the deadline to reply was last week for my local area. I could go to a different one but I would rather go visit the campus.

By Ucsbheart (Ucsbheart) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Call and see if they have room... if they do, they will still let you go! good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page