Complicated Admissions Question - Skipping Senior Year

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Complicated Admissions Question - Skipping Senior Year
By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Hi guys

I have a very complicated question for all of the college admissions savvy people out there.

This summer, I had intended to try to gain admission into Cornell's FALCON program. The FALCON program is an asian (Japanese) language concentration at Cornell that lasts either a summer or a full year. Anyhow, when I did my interview, they were so impressed that I had taught myself Japanese and spoke very well that they offered me a scholarship to come for the whole year - 1/2 the tuition.

I really want to go but the problem is, I am only a Junior. In order to go I would have to skip my senior year. The program would be worth 40 cornell credits in Japanese/East Asian Studies (just about enough to complete and entire major in a year) and I would hold sophomore standing once I entered college. But thats the tricky part - by doing the FALCON program, I would not be admitted into any college. I would still have to apply to cornell next year and other schools that I want to apply to.

My grades are not IVY league standards. I have a 630/710V SAT right now (taking again in May), 28 ACT, 720 Japanese SAT II, 680 chem and 540 Math IC - (calc got stuck in wrong mode have to retake). I have a 4.0 unweighted GPA and I am taking 3 AP classes this year.

But my question is - do you think taking a full year asian language concentration worth 40 credits at cornell will hurt my chances at getting into college, at say, Cornell Labor Relations, Georgetown Business School, NYU, Dickinson, MDCollegePark or maybe even Upenn? (I would be missing my senior year which would include 6 AP classes in math,science, english,etcetc) I would like to major in international business with a concetration/double major/minor in East Asia.

My Passion is Japan and Asia and if it wernt for the impracticality of an East Asian studies major I would major solely in that - but - I feel I need a business background.

So what do you guys think? Go for it, take a risk? or no?

Thank you SO much for your help and time.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

I'm not sure if I'm reading correctly but are you saying you would have trouble graduating or just have trouble getting into a college.

If it's the former, I don't see how you would be missing out. It would only seem like it would help you in the long run. Is it possible for you to finish the credits needed for graduation over the summer (or even two summers)? You should talk to your GC and see if there are any distance learning/online classes you could take while you are at Cornell that would also be used toward your HS graduation requirements. If you did that, the year following FALCON could be spent applying to colleges. I'd say totally go for it if you can. That sounds like a great opportunity.

If it's the latter, I don't think it would hurt you *that* much. If anything, it'll probably make you stand apart from the pack.

By Lalai26 (Lalai26) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Omg.. you sound SO much like me its not even funny... actually, its kind of scary. FALCON is the main reason I am obsessed with Cornell. And I also applied for ILR because of the impracticality of a Japanese major... weird ^_^

By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:18 am: Edit

wow thank you so much for your help. Lalai, wow we do sound a lot alike! I hope that the FALCON program works out for me. Thanks so much!!

By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

Lalai, Did you skip your senior year of high school? How did you like the FALCON program ? Any tips/suggestions for me?

By Lalai26 (Lalai26) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:30 am: Edit

Im not at Cornell yet... but I am a Senior now. If I don't get into Cornell, I will probably take the FALCON course anyway. If I get in, I'll tell yah, then I'll forward as much info as I can to you. Ya know, try and keep in contact, because like I said, the resembelance is uncanny.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page