How to weigh GPA?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: How to weigh GPA?
By Innsayneidiot (Innsayneidiot) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

Okay, for people who post their weighted GPAs on this board... how are they weighted?
I thought my GPA was about 4.2 but then at some college planning seminar the guidance counselors said to disregard non-academic & freshman classes, which would mean that my GPA at the end of this year (provided I get all As 2nd semester) would be around 4.6.
Since different schools have different ways of weighing GPA do colleges just recalculate them or take whatever it says on the transcript? because my transcript has no weighted GPAs on it. the three it shows are "academic, total and university", all of which are unweighted. (university = academic w/o freshman year)
I live in CA, by the way, so my counselors are probably talking about weighing GPAs the UC system way.
and is UW GPA counting all classes? (i got Bs in freshman PE so my 4.0 got ruined very early on... =( ah well)

By Innsayneidiot (Innsayneidiot) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

bump?

By Karen182 (Karen182) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Colleges say flat out that they recalculate GPA's when they receive the apps. Some schools only count solids, others discount freshman grades, and most delete weighting all together.

At my school, all regular classes are out of 4.0. AP classes are based on a 5.0 scale, as are junior college or university classes (there's dual enrollment here). PE is factored into your GPA, but sports teams aren't...so it's pretty weird. A lot of kids take classes credit/no credit, which is basically pass/fail, and doesn't put a grade on your transcript. (Only for classes like PE or TA or something though.)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page