My NYU Dilemma...Please Help....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: My NYU Dilemma...Please Help....
By Timmy19th (Timmy19th) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Ok, let me start off by saying that I will be graduating in May, but I did not apply to NYU for Fall 2004. I did not apply since I have terrible stats (1040 SAT, 3.2 GPA, 84 out of 460). I really want to go there since it's my dream school. I'm going to The University of North Texas but really hope to transfer into NYU. When would it be best to transfer???, After how many semesters/years of colleges I mean. Also should I take the SAT again in May and take three SAT II's in June?? Any advice would be helpful.

By Ceo1093 (Ceo1093) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

I would suggest you go and read their transfer policies, however, most schools do not accept transfer applicants after their sophomore year at college, or a student with more than 60 credit hours (not all schools though). Besides, when you will be transfering the most important factor will be your University GPA, not SAT not SATII's.. in fact, some Universities do not require you to submit SAT's after certain amount of credits received.

By Timmy19th (Timmy19th) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

bump

By Timmy19th (Timmy19th) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Thanks Ceo, when do you think it would be best to transfer in the first 2 years? after one semester? after a year? a year and a semester??

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

What college are you interested in at NYU? Generally, transfer admission is just as selective as freshman admission at NYU, some programs are even more difficult to get into as a transfer. When you apply as a transfer, your high school transcript and SAT scores will still be a part of the decision process. The further you get in college, the less importance they will have (assuming you have a great GPA in college) but they will still be looked at. You can't transfer until you have spent at least one full year at your college. With your stats, I would recommend, if you truly are intent on applying, that you wait til at least after your sophomore year and work like crazy to get a great GPA at UNT. Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. Normally the admissions office will not recommend that people in college retake the SAT's but in your case, I'd say it couldn't hurt. You might increase your SAT I score enough that it might help. Good luck.

By Ceo1093 (Ceo1093) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

apply after your second semester, no later than 3rd.

By Nanners20 (Nanners20) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

EmilyP you are the most negative person I know. I know you think you are just being "honest" but you absolutely like to discourage people. The saying "it never hurts to try" or there is always "exceptions to the rules" is something you need to remember!

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

Nanners20,

First of all, you don't "know" me. :) Second of all, I do like to be honest with people. What's wrong with that? What did I say in that post that was so negative and untrue? Not a thing. I stated what the procedure usually was here at NYU, which is what the poster needs to know. Would it have been better to say "oh you'll get in for sure, apply after your first semester", when that would have been the absolute worst thing he should do? People know that admissions is sometimes a 'crapshoot' and that there are exceptions to the rule. I don't think it's necessary to repeat it in every post. I told him when and how and what to do in order to have the best chance, and then wished him good luck. I most definitely do not like to discourage people but neither do I like to sugarcoat the situation and give out false information. If my information is so bad, why are you not giving better information on this subject? :)

By Timmy19th (Timmy19th) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Well, thanks everyone so far. I've decided to go to UNT and try my hardest for a great GPA, then try and transfer to NYU after one and a half years.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Emily is probably the most well informed nyu poster on this fourm..dont chastise her for being honest and not inflating false hope...

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Timmy, my nephew burned out 3 ccs before settling into a local college then transfering to an elite school. He was 21 by then. He did retake his SATs and did much better on them. He was fortunate enough to have a fine professor mentor him through the process and this gentleman urged him to retake the SAT1 though it is not necessary to do so and not generally heavily counted for transfers. He told him that maturity counts alot on that test, and boy, was he right.

That said, the two things that are most important for transfer applications are the grades at the school you are and the reason you want to transfer. Colleges like NYU want to see you having taken full advantage of your current school and outgrowing it. That is the optimal situation. My neighbor transfered from a small catholic college into NYU after exhausting the art resources at that school and deciding she wanted to go int graphic design. NYU loved the story and snapped her right up even with a late app! (I don't recommend applying late) This is a classic example of someone outgrowing his school and wanting to go to somewhere that can provide some challenges.

You will be in good stead coming from North Texas to NYC. What a change in venue! What colleges don't like is someone from Penn who wants to transfer to Hopkins because they hate the school. A solid reason for the transfer is quite important, and someone from North Texas can come up with ever so many reasons to move from there to NYC. So you do have a head start in that direction.

Good luck.

By Timmy19th (Timmy19th) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Thanks Jamimom, By saying "full advantage of your current school and outgrowing it", do you mean getting involved in college societies, clubs, and ECs????

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

No. Academics. A transfer student should have a good idea where he is going and an excellent track record on where he has gone. You need to bone up on how NYU is organized, its different schools, what it offers, and what you want that is not offered at your college. It's not sufficient to say, "I want to go to a better school" or "I want to go to New York". Not to say that there are not transferees who have gotten in with general comments, but to have the best chance, you need to hone in on your area of study and explain how NYU can give you opportunities and knowledge that North Texas cannot.

I know a young man who transferred from CMU to UVa. He was an English major who wanted to go into media studies and found that UVa had just such a department. He perused the web site for info on the department and the courses offered. checked out the profs heading and teaching in the dept and then made his case on how UVa specifically could meet want he wants to study in this department that could not be as efficiently met at CMU. He did make the transfer even without the most stellar grades, though grades are very important most of the time.

By the time you are a transfer student, the colleges want you to know what you want to study and how their school can help you meet your goals. It is not as important as a freshman since most kids change their minds several times and it is typical for kids to simply not know what they want to study at that stage. As an upperclassman, the standards change. They do not want a drifter, they want someone with a goal, one that they can help you meet.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page