How do people on this board feel about...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: How do people on this board feel about...
By Jandaportrait (Jandaportrait) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

affirmative action?

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

why are you asking?

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

doesn't benefit me, but i'm ok with it.

By Silverliningd (Silverliningd) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

This debate has been run into the ground already, many, many times. Search older messages and you'll get plenty of thoughts on it.

By Jandaportrait (Jandaportrait) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

i'm just interested in it, and my opinion of it is torn. on one side, i'm totally against it. i feel that since we have legislation that everyone is equal (and we've had it for 40 years...) then preferring an applicant because of his race is...well...racist. Not all black people are underprivileged, and not all asians have a such a hard upbringing that they should get a "bump" in admissions solely because of their race. I think economic status/income is more accurate to reflect society today.

On the other hand, there is still de facto segregation. Racism does exist among individuals, and more often (as statistics prove) minorities have a harder life. I think the diversity is paramount on campuses.

By May_1 (May_1) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Oh no...not this again. Well, I guess this is as good a time as any to start these "discussions" (I use that term very loosely). People are getting rejections in the mail, and they need someone to pin the blame on.

So anyone want to make a wager on how many posts before this becomes a flame war? before the mods shut it down?

By Jandaportrait (Jandaportrait) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

i don't want to start any sort of "flame war." i just want to discuss the effectiveness of race in affirmative action, or possible, more accurate methods. if anything i say (or anyone else says) comes off as offensive or stupid, please ignore it!

By May_1 (May_1) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

The thing is, there is nothing to discuss. If you want to read posters' opinions, then do an archive search for Affirmative Action, AA, URM, or black. People tend to write ad nauseum on this subject.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

The only open question is how many posts it will take for the posts to get recycled and repetitive and how long it will take for the flaming to break out. When all is said and done, much will have been said and nothing will have been done.

By Haruko (Haruko) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

I think it has good intentions.

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

"and not all asians have a such a hard upbringing that they should get a "bump" in admissions solely because of their race"
asians get a bump in admissions? what the hell have you been smoking? asians are probably more screwed than whites, we are definitely not urms.

By Glowingamy (Glowingamy) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

I think it's suboptimal, but like Haruko said it has good intentions. Legacies deserve much more hate

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page