So um, what is this i hear about this year...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: So um, what is this i hear about this year...
By Jandaportrait (Jandaportrait) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

being the most strong academically? or most difficult for applicants? or something?

By Dday2004 (Dday2004) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

highest number of applicants. highest quality of applicants. you name it.

By Itempest (Itempest) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Every year it increases. I believe it's a general trend.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

It is the second baby boom. Starting a few years ago, applications began to increase significantly each year and they expect that trend to continue through 2009. You have more people graduating from high school each year and, at the same time, a growing percentage of those applying to college.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

It is the second baby boom. Starting a few years ago, applications began to increase significantly each year and they expect that trend to continue through 2009. You have more people graduating from high school each year and, at the same time, a growing percentage of those applying to college.

By Minamora (Minamora) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

GOOGLE "Tidal Wave II" for statistics....

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

I don't know if this happened at anyone else's school, but at D's high school there were twice as many National Merit Semi-Finalists as usual (23 as opposed to the typical 10-12). We also had about twice as many Intel finalists as usual. The competition was insane to get into the top 5% of D's graduating class. She's relieved to be in the top 10% but not being in the top 5% puts her at a disadvantage with college admissions.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Momx, I believe that colleges/universities will consider the extremely competitive nature of her high school while looking over her application.

By Mundanesundays (Mundanesundays) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

My class is actually one of the best classes, academically and artistically, that my school has had in a while, and will have for a while. I'm not just saying that because I'm in it - it's definitely true. We've got amazing intellectuals, musicians, artists, actors, and all sorts. I'm very proud of my class; we're very good.
We had to get rid of class ranking because people with excellent grades were getting bad rankings, just because there are so many people with excellent grades.
The freshmen, however, suck a lot.

That's just my school, though. It probably isn't a nation-wide trend. It is a nation-wide trend that classes are getting bigger, however. So it's getting harder and harder to get into the good schools.

By Augi7 (Augi7) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

same here the v-torian and s-torian were separated by one A- freshman year. thats it!! the rest are not far behind. i have a 3.89/4.0 GPA and i just barely make 10%!!!! i hope they stop that rankings it sucks!

By Augi7 (Augi7) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

same here the v-torian and s-torian were separated by one A- freshman year. thats it!! the rest are not far behind. i have a 3.89/4.0 GPA and i just barely make 10%!!!! i hope they stop that rankings it sucks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page