UC Riverside

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: UC Riverside
By Sk88er (Sk88er) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Is anybody going to UC Riverside? How does it compare to other UCs? Thanks.

By Toxicity01 (Toxicity01) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Riverside and Santa Cruz are often battling for the title of "Worst UC". I believe Santa Cruz holds it right now.

By Ilovethe80s (Ilovethe80s) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

nah riverside is the bottom of the barrel

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

oops...

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I recently graduated from UCR and it is not the "worst UC" it has many great programs and just because it is not next to the beach or a large city some misguided people believe it is bad. I suggest you look beyond brand name labels, even though going to any UC is good. UC Santa Cruz I believe is below UCR in the rankings but I would not call either school bottom of the barrel. UCR has an established business program, the only other being at Berkeley. It also has the largest science library on the west coast. The pre-med program allows a student to graduate in three years and they are almost guaranteed a spot at UCLA med school if they are in the top 10%. Engineering program has classes that are smaller than most. PH.d professors who are known in their fields teach the courses, instead of TA's. UCR is also the most affordable UC (according to U.S. News). I was accepted to many UC's when I applied as a freshman but chose UCR because of the cost. The dorms are very nice and I saw some very dilapitated ones at other UC's. The professors are approachable, which makes it easy to make good connections and get letters of recommendation. I hate people who are completely misinformed making assumptions and causing other students to shy away from, or feel disheartened about attendeding UCR. Sk88er I would suggest you research the major, and if possible visit UCR. If you go to the department it is very easy to meet with the dean of the dept. Also, many of the students at UCR have gone on to graduate school at the Ivy leagues and other "prestigious" institutions. College is really what you make of it and UCR may not be a huge party town but are you going to college or on vacation?

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Sorry for the double post!

By Sk88er (Sk88er) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Thanks Azteca199 - great advice. I am considering a double major - business ad with engg. - so your post sounds good.

By Roh (Roh) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

UCSC > UCR

that's for sure.

according to U.S. News, UCSC is ranked 70th in the whole nation, and UCR is ranked 86th.
here's the link: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php

By Mommydog (Mommydog) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Azteca,
What do you know about the Honors' Program at UCR?

By Ilovethe80s (Ilovethe80s) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

im not saying ucr is a bad school, its just that the other UCs are generally better

By Sk88er (Sk88er) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Thanks Roh - for the US news link.

Ilovethe80s - 'better' is always a relative word. My parents think all calif schools suck (they're from schools back east) and that I should go away from home for college; I don't want to leave OC and Riverside is closest UC out of the county :)

By Qwerasdf (Qwerasdf) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

You like to say UCR is a bad school, but UCR is definitely better than UCSC in engineering.

You gotta compare programs man...

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Sk88er, my boyfriend is a mechanical engineering major and believe me they are definately the darlings of the University. The department is relatively small and professors are extremely approachable and classes are small. They have a 24 hour computer lab, just for engineers! They have 2 buildings and one more on the way. My boyfriend already has an internship, as do many of the other people in the program, but the career center goes beyond and above the call of duty to find students research opportunities and internships. Right now he is doing his senior project, which is a funded research group project, about 3-4 people, his is to build a microliter pump for a nano-chip. The business program here is really good in that they guide you and the majority of the people graduate in four years. You are considered pre-business until you take certain classes and they generally tell you what you need to take. I graduated a double major in humanities, but it is very possible to do the double major you want to do. I know people who were biology and humanities double major. Good luck Sk88er and let me know if you have any other questions

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Mommydog, my roommate, who is on his way to Cornell Law was in the honors program here at UCR and he said some of the best classes he ever took were in the honors program. He said seminars are held with professors where they limit the class to 12 students. A plethora of activiites available to honors students. They get priority registration for classes, which for freshmen is great. They have a wing in the newest dorm on campus reserved for them. Also honor students have discussions with the professor instead of a TA. This is what I know of the underclassmen honors program, there are department honors that upperclassmen with a certain gpa are invited to join. I heard that more students are being allowed in the honors program so it is growing, but I don't think it is a major problem. If you haven't been down to see UCR I really suggest you try and visit, most of the tours are given by honors students.

By Trojan03 (Trojan03) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

Does anyone know if UCR is being more selective this year? I had two friends of mine who did not get in. I guess UCR has joined other UC's in being more selective.

By Bballplaya (Bballplaya) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 02:27 am: Edit

I'm considering ucr, but im from norcal so im just curious about the environment. For those that are around the area or been to ucr, how is the area like? is it really out in the desert and away from civilization? lol or is its a good area for a good education but also a good scoial life?

By Mocksimus (Mocksimus) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 02:35 am: Edit

it is in the 909 area code, the area is a complete wasteland unless youre looking to live in trailer and pickup a meth habit id go to another uc

By Roh (Roh) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 02:56 am: Edit

ucr = no fun
ucsc = fun! (i mean, at least you have stuff to do at santa cruz, riverside is just boring)

By Roh (Roh) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 02:59 am: Edit

btw, i'm from bay area.
so i prefer ucsc over ucr. :)

but hopefully, i would get into uci.
or ucd (for appeal!)

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 03:33 am: Edit

Bballplaya,
I had many friends from nocal who enjoyed UCR. I am not going to lie it isn't a hub of excitement but it isn't a trailer park as someone else suggested. The campus is actually very nice and there is a town center, it is called the University village with coffee shops, movie theatre, and restaurants. The campus is growing and it used to be a commuter school but not so much anymore. There is a fraternity prescence, if you're interested (it wasn't my cup of tea) so they throw parties. There are lots of student clubs, so whatever you are into you can find your niche. These groups have events going on all the time, so there is enough to do to keep you occupied when you're not studying. UCR is division one so there are a lot of good basketball games. Riverside is not a big city but I believe there is more to do, and it is closer to big cities, than Santa Cruz. I would characterize it this way, you can have a good time but not get carried away so much as to warrant your parents dragging you home.

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 03:49 am: Edit

Trojan03,
I do not believe UCR has gone select yet, but UCR used to accept a lot of students who had gpa's or scores that were below the minimum requirements and they had to take classes to be accepted. I guess this year they could not do that, since a lot of students are not going to be accepted to other UC's and it will trickled down. Also, a problem at some UC's and especially CSU's is impacted majors, majors that already have more students than they can accomodate. If your friends have grounds to appeal I would encourage them to do so.
Sorry for writing so much but I want to dispell the myths and working for various departments in the university and being an alumnus has given me insight into the process. Every college, has their problems and I have often been at odds with the administration here but it is a good school, that I would recommend.

By Kakael (Kakael) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Azteca199, you're doing a great job in pointing out the many positive attributes of UCR! Yes, there are some negatives as you readily admit, but you and others received a great education at a very fine school.

By Sk88er (Sk88er) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Azteca199 (especially) and everybody else, thanks! This is helpful. A few people I know have been rejected too from UCR this year. Don't know what that means though since one of them also got accepted into UCI.

Is anybody else from OC attending the UCR Chancellor's receptions next week or the overnight stay program in April? What should I expect from the Chancellor's receptions?

By Caparanoia (Caparanoia) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

I want to know about the Chancellor's reception too.

By Sfbbgurl (Sfbbgurl) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

UCSC is probably a better college than UCR. First of all the reputation of a college really says nothing about what the college has to offer. I mean you can't rely on what other people have to say until you have actually experienced it yourself. Santa Cruz is first of all in a gorgeous location and offers great courses and teachers you can actually get to know. Forget the reputation of a school and actually learn what is has to offer.

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Sfbbgurl,
I believe Qwerasdf was right in that you have to look at the programs at each school. I wouldn't rate either school overall higher than the other, but would definately rank the majors. I think the choice between UCR and UCSC is a personal lifestyle preference. But I agree reputation should not be considered, as many people have many misconceptions.

By Azteca199 (Azteca199) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Sk88er
I wouldn't expect too much out of the Chancellor reception, it is a bunch of older folks talking about the university, maybe a slide show, but some find it useful. I would put more emphasis on the host program, where you stay the night and take tours of the campus. Most hosts try to show you a good time.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page