East Coast People and the UCs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: East Coast People and the UCs
By Yalebulldog04 (Yalebulldog04) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

ok, since first discovering CC, all i can hear you guys talk about it is the UC system. previously the only UC i'd ever even HEARD of was Berkely and UCLA. and i had always thought (incorrectly) that UCLA was a party school. So I'd like to know two things:

1. does it just seem like theres a lot of UC posts because you're all from california? (cause noone i know out here has even heard of most of them-davis, irvine, santa cruz???)

2. Any east coast or other area ppl know what I'm talking about?

honestly, is it just me or what?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

There ARE quite a few people from California on this board. And, quite a few from surrounding states as well. But many people are interested in the UC's. However, for out of state students, my personal opinion is that there are better places to spend $30,000 a year (approx. cost of out of state attendance). Just my opinion - please no one shoot me!

By Eliel (Eliel) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

Well...they are very popular especially since they are cutting back on the acceptances!(all 8 of the UC's)!!!
Since many students want to "study"(party) in California the UC's are extremely competetive now!!!

Exuse mi misspelling tooo!

By Chochoad (Chochoad) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

Well, a there are a lot of california residents on here purely because california has the most number of high school grads in the country. Add that to the fact that the UC system is the best, more prestigious public school system in the United States and you have a bunch of worried, anxious california residents whose everyday lives revolve around learning about their competition for their dream (UC) school. It's not that california grads don't like schools outside of california; it's just that their best bet is to take advantage of the universities that are right in their own backyard. Also, out-of-state applicant numbers are low because the acceptance rates are low for out-of-staters and tuition is higher. Hope that helps (coming from a worried, anxious california senior right here!).

By Clashkev (Clashkev) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

Which is kind of odd. If so many posters are from CA (like me), then why is the time on this board EST?

By Chochoad (Chochoad) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:01 am: Edit

Haha. Maybe because this website is run by folks from the east coast.(????)

By Haruko (Haruko) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:49 am: Edit

Well put Chochoad.

By Yalebulldog04 (Yalebulldog04) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 08:20 am: Edit

bumpity?

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

1. does it just seem like theres a lot of UC posts because you're all from california? (cause noone i know out here has even heard of most of them-davis, irvine, santa cruz???)

- Yeah the only UCs I've heard of is Berkley and LA.

2. Any east coast or other area ppl know what I'm talking about

- Worddd, I used to live in the east coast (kinda... pennslyvania, Buffalo, NY, Ohio), now I live in the Midwest (uhhhhhgg)

By Kluge (Kluge) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

There's just a lot of posts about the UC schools right now because they're sending out their admissions decisions this month. The number of UC posts will be lower next month.

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

haha it's hilarious if you scroll down the threads... 2/3 are UC__ ones :)

By Yalebulldog04 (Yalebulldog04) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

B to the U
M to the P

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

I think a lot of people from other places around the country consider going out of state a lot more. In CA (i am a senior and of course a UC applicant) almost everybody who is at the top of the class and so on stays in CA. The UCs have such a good reputation and are cheap compared to other privates. I didnt really consider going out of state because of cost mostly and because i am at an advantage being a CA resident for such a good system as the UC that i have no reason to leave.

Besides this is the weather. Most of the UCs are fairly close (or right on) the coast and the weather is awesome. doesnt get too hot usually and never gets very cold. Like winter lows of 45-50 during the coldest part of the year. (just an estimate)

ANd on top of all this CA is the most populous state and geographically its huge compared to East Coast states so people who live in North NorCAl can go to some place like UC Irvine or UC San Diego and its almost like going to a different state anyway.

SO anyways i think the UCs are awesome, but yeah i do wonder who out there really knows about them besides of course UCLA and CAL.

Well good luck all you seniors out there!

By Elzbieta777 (Elzbieta777) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

haha i know exactly what u mean!! it seems like all the posts on these boards are for UCs, most of which ive never heard of!!! God i hope these people never try and get a job outside california cause no one will have ever heard of their schools even though they might be incredible!

By Coureur (Coureur) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

Graduates of UCs have no more trouble getting jobs outside of California than anyone else. To begin with the UCs are the premier public university system in the US and probably in the world. In addition, it's a big system. Depending on how you want to count, there are 8, 9, or 10 UCs. Moreover, in addition to being top undergrad schools they are also powerful engines of research. For example, UC is the only university with elements named after it (#97 & #98) and after one of its professors to boot (#103).

I read a statistic once that said that 20% of all PhDs in the entire US (not just in California) earned their doctorates at one of the UCs. So on average, one in five of your college professors, even those teaching outside of California, will have earned their degrees at a UC.

By Elzbieta777 (Elzbieta777) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

then why have most people on the east coast never heard of them

By Zevdebee (Zevdebee) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Im from New Jersey, and im going to UC Santa Barbara next year, and most people know about them(UC's) in my school at least, yet they dont think about them as much because most people dont go that far away to school. and y think bout them, if its not 1 of ur options?

By Muzicgal04 (Muzicgal04) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

I'm from Ohio, and virtually no one knows about the UC's other than UCLA and Berekly

By Toxicity01 (Toxicity01) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I live in California and I hate the UC system (i kind of like LA). I hate the entire public school system to be honest.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page