Admissions REVOKED?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Admissions REVOKED?
By Crazichic98 (Crazichic98) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Rejected: UCLA, UCSB
Admitted: UCD
Pending: UCSD, UCSC, UCI & UCB.

i failed AP CALC and AP CHEM first semester what do i have to do so they won't revoke my admissions? (Both courses are taught by 1st year teachers, my mistake for taking AP courses taught by them... they don't even know what they're doing)

HELP! I don't want any admissions to be revoked, what should i do, what can i do?

Annie
San Diego, CA

By Mstaken (Mstaken) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Ouch. Well, it depends. When you say "fail", is that a C, D, or F? Hopefully, you still kept a 3.0 average, because that's ONE of the requirements, although no D's and F's are another....wish for the best!

By Tennisplayer (Tennisplayer) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

i would call up the colleges you've been admitted to, say davis, like asap, and tell them that you failed some classes and make sure u tell them the whole situation and make sure u get the message clear that you aren't slacking off your senior year or anything, and that you know you worked really hard, and are willing to make it up somehow. I think they will make you take some classes at a local community college or something. good luck!

By Crazichic98 (Crazichic98) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I straight out failed "F". and my gpa was a 2.0 last semester. and now i have a 2.8 overall. im working so hard this semester to prove that im college material

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

I have a question about college revoking...

is it a very rare practice?

and also.. i thought that you have to inform schools that accepted you by may 1st if you are going to attend or else you lose your place in admission... say you commit to a school who than in turn revokes your admission in June.. what happens to the poor student?

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

No. My school had at least ten students last year who got their admission letters revoked because of poor senior grades.

By Emokidsunite (Emokidsunite) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

crazichic, if i were you, i'd let the admissions offices know asap. i don't know how they'll treat your situation, hopefully because they were ap classes they'll give you some leeway.

i1lmatics, i assume that the kids who have had their admissions revoked will have to attend a local cc...

i also have a question related to rescinding admissions. as long as you maintain your contract, there's no way they can rescind your admission right? like if you get 2 c's senior year, ucla won't be able to kick you out...cuz most likely i'm getting 2 c's this year. haha. man i thought senior year was supposed to be easy.

By Ikrnxsam (Ikrnxsam) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

in fact, 10% of all nationwide high school students get their admissions revoked as a result of poor senior grades...

my brother's friend got accepted into uci and then got revoked and went psycho (literally) and he is now in the mental hospital diagnosed as a schizophrenic. He constantly calls our house from the hospital and claims he is "God" or "the one." It is very frightening so whenever we get a collect call we just reject them now.
another one of my brother's friends got accepted into UCI also and got revoked, finding out she got revoked on graduation day. She was almost on the brink of suicide.

I fear these scenarios because I'm kind of slipping in them too. Got a 2.6 UW gpa last semester...was on the brink of 2 D's but my finals brought them up to C's. I need to get a 3.4 UW and that's a pain...especially when it is in my chill-back 2nd semester.

What I hear is that if you call them or write them a letter and have a good reason for the bad grades, they'll let you stay and just make you take the courses over the summer. Talk with your admissions counselor and they'll help you out. But work hard this semester and try to reach the three-o. It will show them you are serious about this matter.

By Ikrnxsam (Ikrnxsam) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

also since they are ap's, i hear if you pass them they will brush off the F's and give you leeway

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

does this 3.0 thing only apply to UC's.. or is it pretty much a nation wide standard

By Omiduc (Omiduc) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

oh man, I've got an F in my AP chem and AP calc this 2nd semester. I plan on getting them up to C's, but I'm not sure if I can get both of them up.

I am trying a lot harder though, I dont want any of that revoking crap.

By Omiduc (Omiduc) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

btw, post back what UCD says to you, because that is my #1 school, havnt been accepted yet, but i plan on going there, and i am almost in the same boat as you, just that my grades are not offical yet.

By Crazichic98 (Crazichic98) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:28 am: Edit

Omiduc what do plan on studying at UCD?

im trying to post wat UCD said but the site said "You do not have any applications to view. "

i think they are updating it.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:25 am: Edit

If you do get rescinded, will you get to go to college? I mean the deadline for submitting deposits is May 1st or something, so it'll be too late to deposit to some state schools that will still want you with your lower GPAs... right?

Is it Community College time if that happens?

By Omiduc (Omiduc) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Crazichic, I want to study engineering @ UCD. my application is still under review last time i saw, it, but right now, the site days there is no application.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

The UC's have a process in place that lets you clear failing grades by re-taking the class over the summer. If you get a C second semester, you will also be OK. Here's the link to the UC site explaining how they handle this - read down under "repeating subjects" Note however that some campuses have individual rules so it's best to check with admissions ASAP.

http://www.ucop.edu/pathways/infoctr/qr/qrf_min_moreschol.html#df

By Nhfrenchie (Nhfrenchie) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

You want to study engineering and you failed AP Calc & Chem? What makes you believe that you'll be getting good teachers in college?

Most 1st year engineering students take calc & chem in large auditoriums with some having smaller breakouts. The Calc requirements for engineering students are heavy. Should you get into a college to study engineering, I strongly recommend that you do take a calculus course/with tutor if required, over the summer to help you get a jump start before starting your freshman year. Your entering freshman engineering class will be full of students who are already proficient to a certain level. If the teacher uses a bellcurve, this could put you at a disadvantage. But that's another story...

I don't want you to take this the wrong way but I'm speaking from experience....Excelling at Calculus will be required in order to succeed at graduating with an Engineering degree. So many other core engineering courses will require that you know your "stuff" in calculus. Whatever the reason(s) why you didn't do well with the AP Calc or AP Chem, you need to evaluate and ask yourself if it was a "bad" teacher or deep down some other contributing factors. Trust me, you will be seeing "bad" teachers no matter where you end up. You have to deal with those properly by taking "proactive" measures such as seeking tutors, spending extra time doing more problems, looking for other books on the subject, etc. etc.

Good engineers love to solve problems. You now have one. I'm sure you'll figure it out.....

Yes, colleges do revoke their offers and getting an F in a "core" for engineering such as Calc can make that happen.

By Crazichic98 (Crazichic98) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

It's an AP class. How do u re-take an AP class. community college? b/c they don't offer AP during summer for those who failed

By Crazichic98 (Crazichic98) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Thank You CAROLYN that site helped a lot!!!

By Tricializ (Tricializ) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

You know, I have to say it. Grow up crazychic. In life you will have stupid bosses, first year customers, supervisors and co-workers. Deal with it. It is ridiculous to blame 2 Fs on first year teachers. Granted, they may not be the best; they may even downright stink. But, to fail takes some effort. Buckle down, call your schools and see what you need to do. The worst thing is to put your head in the sand and hope that nothing happens. Good luck.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

I would think an AP class would be made up at a community college. However, if you read the site I listed above, they seem to say that you only need to make it up if it's a class needed to satisfy the a-g requirements.

By Crazichic98 (Crazichic98) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 04:50 am: Edit

THX for all the help and scrutiny. i love this site and the ppl. The only prob i have is to go to davis or not go to davis... I'm fr san diego...so cow country?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page