About ucsb

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: About ucsb
By Nyapplicant (Nyapplicant) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

really the only reason i applied to sb is because i already had the app done for berkeley and found the pictures of campus to be absolutely beautiful. i've been accepted for electrical engineering and i'm very curious about how anyone familiar with the school would rate it.

i'm a serious student who will work hard but i always want my share of the fun. this seems like the place for it, and barring the unlikely chance at good news from the ivies, my decision will be between umich and ucsb. I know umich ranks very highly for engineering, but the weather is a srong con that umich carries. can anyone please give me more insight into ucsb?

By Daniela5586 (Daniela5586) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

I go to UCSB every summer for ASB camp, and the campus is absolutely gorgeous. The dorms are pretty clean, and the bathrooms are nice and big (that's important for four years, right?). They built a whole new section, which is really beautiful. Also, the food isn't bad. It kind of gets old after awhile, but it's definitely not disgusting. They have salad bars and a deli table if all else fails. Also, it is considered a "party school", but they are trying to get rid of that image. I have two close friends who go there, along with about a dozen acquaintances, and while partying is a big part of campus life, you don't have to be involved. Also, the area is really nice...downtown SB and State Street...lots of restaurants and fun places. There are college students everywhere on the weekends. The campus is easy to get around...walking isn't too difficult. It's also easy to remember. I havenít seen the campus since August, and I could still draw a map of it.

Santa Barbara is highly respected, although it may not be the best school for engineering in California. Cal. Poly. San Luis Obispo is more highly revered for math and science majors (specifically engineering majors). Also, it's not super hard to get into. While a lot of intelligent people do go there, you can't really compare it with UCLA or Cal. Anyway, let me know if you have anymore questions. I don't know if this helped at all...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page