Anyone rejected at UCSB, UCSC, or USC yet?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Anyone rejected at UCSB, UCSC, or USC yet?
By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

I'm still pending for the two UC's and haven't heard from USC yet..

I'm just wondering if they've even began telling people of rejections yet?

By Artic (Artic) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

UCSB flat out says "Not Admitted".
Ow, it still hurts a little. I hope I can get some apealing action :(

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

err I meant UCSC, UCI, or USC

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

bump

By Clashkev (Clashkev) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

I have a "still pending" for UCSC. I can't understand why some people got in and others haven't.

I have a "still pending" from Davis as well, which is curious, because I have heard that some rejections have been passed out. I got rejected from UCSB, which is still better than waiting for a rejection.

Does anyone know why a select few got admitted into UCSC?

By Ikrnxsam (Ikrnxsam) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

applied to all three but didnt receive any decision yet.

By Artic (Artic) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

I am thinking it was by major for UCSC. I got in for computer somthingoranother :P I don't want to go but will probly end up there anyways/

By Clashkev (Clashkev) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

I applied for "Undeclared-Human Psych." Did anyone who applied to that major get in alreadly?

By Wandering (Wandering) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

I got accepted at UCSC in the Literature major (with a creative writing concentration). The packet came in the mail on March 1. I wouldn't worry if your admission is still pending; notification takes place throughout March.

By Eliel (Eliel) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

I WAS REGECTED!!!!Oh well, it wasn't any of my top choices, I know the admissions process is mostly RANDOM anyway!!!!

Thank you for applying to the University of California, Santa Barbara. After careful consideration of your application, I regret we will not be able to offer you admission as a freshman for the Fall 2004 term. Admission was very competitive and we were unable to accept many qualified applicants.

Nearly 37,000 students applied for admission for an entering class of 3,950. Your application was reviewed a minimum of two times by trained admissions staff. We looked closely at your grades and course work within the context of your high school, test scores, honors and awards, volunteer and work experience, your leadership and other activities and we read your personal statement. The collective strength of all these factors was highest in those students to whom we offered admission. A detailed discussion of our review process is presented online at http:\www.admissions.ucsb.edu.

If attending the University of California remains your goal, we offer a number of other opportunities for admission. Qualified California residents who are not admitted by any campus to which they have applied may be offered freshman admission by another UC campus. Or, they may receive an offer from one or more campuses to delay their UC enrollment and start their degree at a California community college. These deferred students will have their community college fees waived (subject to state legislative approval) and will be guaranteed a junior transfer space by a specific UC campus. Alternate admission offers will be sent to qualified applicants by the third week in April. To learn more, visit http:\www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/transferoptions.

I want to thank you again for your interest in UC Santa Barbara. I wish you every success in achieving your educational goals.

Sincerely,

Christine N. Van Gieson
Director

By Igjo8 (Igjo8) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

rejected with 3.6, SAT1370,SATII(710,680,650) tell me about randomness, oh well at least its not my first choice, but then again its not a very good omen

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

rejected sb, pending sc, pending davis

By Isaman (Isaman) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

you know, SB's rejection letter reads very much like UCLA's , lol...

By Castudent03 (Castudent03) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

I really think SB is kind of random. I mean, I have a 3.83 GPA , 1250 SAT I .. but I challeneged myself a lot throughout high school. They may look at things like... I have taken a foreign language all 4 years ... taking a number of ap's my senior year etc...

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

I got into SB, still pending for D and I

By Artic (Artic) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

" really think SB is kind of random. I mean, I have a 3.83 GPA , 1250 SAT I .. but I challeneged myself a lot throughout high school. They may look at things like... I have taken a foreign language all 4 years ... taking a number of ap's my senior year etc... "

Nah It is mostly Gpa...
I have taken 4 years french ( in AP this year) and am taking 3 ap classes now ( took 2 last year and got 4's on both) but my gpa was only 3.5
rejected... :(

By Jonathantweet (Jonathantweet) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

my gpa is 3.4 and i got in. i had less than 550 on my third subject SAT II as well. it just goes to show you that they care about your essay and EC just as much as test scores and grades. after all, those are what set you apart from the rest, words are louder than numbers.

or you can say that it was random...but heck that's just not logical.

By Clashkev (Clashkev) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Well, I actually think that they weigh the essay more than anything else. It seems that they're not looking for a stellar student as much as a student they know will pursue a 4 year education without dropping out. I bet that, through their many years of admissions, they believe high GPA's and SAT's are somewhat nebulous indicators of a dedicated student. The personal essay might better reflect a students will to achieve, which is what their really after.

Of course, what they should just completely toss out the window are EC's. I mean, EC's don't show your dedicated anymore; they just show you want to go to a college. Everyone in my school wants to be on the student council because it looks good for college applications. So, if they're trying to measure drive, and college is their only form of drive, it seems to indicate how much a person wants into a college rather than how outgoing they are. Of course, this is just my opinion.

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

I think the things they look at the most is your essay and ECs. I don't think my sister even had 1000+ on her sat, but still got in to ucsb because she had a really good essay and she had A LOT of ECs.

so i'm guessing what helped me was my essay as well. my ECs were ok... sat=1230, writing=720, math ic=600, literature=590, gpa=3.667.

By Jonathantweet (Jonathantweet) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

well there are shallow ECs, and then there are personal ECs. Being on a sports team or ASB or something is pretty typical, and probably doesn't help your chances too much. But doing something unique that ties into your major and essay would surely help.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

So have these schools actually rejected anyone yet?

By Clashkev (Clashkev) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

I'm fairly sure UCSC has not rejected anyone yet. This, more or less, means that its anyone's game.

By Lilskeetums17 (Lilskeetums17) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

I haven't heard of USC rejecting anyone yet

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page