Rejected From UC Davis

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Rejected From UC Davis
By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

Hi people,
Yesterday, I have seen my rejection in UCD website sayin that I am not under eligiblity requirements of UC system or something like this. Actually I am not sad that I have been rejected but the message that they have written indicated that I won't get in any UC schools? Does it mean like that or am I just too paranoic? my dream school is UCB and I know that it's very hard to get in UCB if you even get rejected from Davis?

But still , might there be a little chance or would I been rejected from UCB definitely if I am rejected from davis?

By Reverie (Reverie) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 02:40 am: Edit

You're kinda unclear.

UCD said you are NOT under requirements, or you ARE?

You may still very well get into UCB after getting deffered from UCD. What are your stats? That could help us help you.

By Daonesteven (Daonesteven) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 02:41 am: Edit

pcqo, ill try to be hoenst here

if u didn't qualify for davis, i would think it's going to be tough to make into berkeley, but u know what, you really don't know til the end, so i wouldn't lose hope there. berkeley does seem to be, in my opinion, easier to make than la this year, like really, and they are said to be more compehensive when looking at your stats (not just gpa or sat scores, but you as a whole and how likely you will succeed at ucb) and etc...i don't know that much but yea, hope it turns out for you buddy

By Patito12 (Patito12) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:23 am: Edit

if you DO NOT meet the eligibility requirements for UCD, you wont for any UC either. They all require a certain amount of years in english, math, history, scinces, arts, etc...

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 08:30 am: Edit

Copy and paste the exact text dude

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:31 am: Edit

I have all the requirements for a certain amount of any subject but my gpa and my sats might cause the problem. My gpa is 2.85/4.00 (my highschool is the hardest highschool in the country but they won't understand it ) and my sat is 780m + 480v =1260

I know that it is very unlikely that I can get into UCB but I have many EC's and leaderships . I hope they can help me.

And the exact rejectance is :
"Burak Inceten, thank you for your application to UC Davis for Fall Quarter 2004.
We have carefully reviewed your records and regret that we cannot offer you admission to the University of California, Davis, as you do not meet UC minimum eligibility requirements.

You will receive an official letter of

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:31 am: Edit

because it says: "... as you do not meet UC minimum eligibility requirements. " I am afraid that I am already rejected from UCB too..

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:36 am: Edit

Have you been accepted anywhere else?

Otherwise, I'm certain you have been rejected everywhere else you've applied to.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:36 am: Edit

Did you not know you did?
When you were fillin out the app, didn't you make sure the class counters were all filled up as needed?

Are you instate or out of state? What are your stats, ur classes taken, and your grades? Do you know your UC GPA?

it could be an error if you're sure you were uc eligible..

If you knew you weren't, you wasted a lot of money

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:45 am: Edit

man
I am eligible about everything but gpa. Ofcourse I have checked everything before I applied. But on theirwebsite it was saying that the minimum sat for the eligiblity was 1420. So I didn't take it serious and applied. But as I experience it I believe that they seriously have a gpa boundary. I hope Berkeley doesn't have such a boundary.

I am international and I said that my highschool is one of the most prestigious highschools in my country. The problem is that I am neither a top student there nor in top %25. That might be why they have put a message like that.
And Nmerone yes I have been accepted from Purdue which is a better school for engineering majors. So, dont belittle persons who get rejected from some universities.

By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

The same thing happened to me.........

I've got a 4.5 GPA and a 1400 composite (1350 highest single sitting).....along with SAT II scores of 800 in French, 760 in Math IIC, 750 in Chemistry, and 720 in Writing.......I don't understand..... I met way above eligibility requirements and was accepted into UCSC. I think this is an error.....I'm calling admissions today. I wonder how many others this happened to. I'm in state, too.

~Anna

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

Calculuscrazy)
did u get the same message on the rejectance letter?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

Are you out of state? Because if so, the minimum GPA for UC admissions is 3.4. They do not include all courses in this GPA.

If you're in-state, what are your SAT II scores and what is your exact UC GPA (you can find out which classes are included in this at www.ucop.edu/pathways - also other information about UC minimum requirements.)

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

if I am international I must be out of state..
is it the same for UCB, then am I rejected even without having been read the essays and EC's from Berkeley?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:21 am: Edit

Yes, you are considered a non-resident.

The MINIMUM GPA for non-resident students to even be considered for UC admissions is 3.4. This GPA is computed based only on courses that meet UC a-g requirements and only for courses taken during 10,11 grades. Since I don't know how you computed your GPA, I don't know if this is the problem. However, even if you have the minimum GPA you must then have a minimum score on your combined SAT I and SAT II scores in order to be considered at ANY UC school.

If you don't meet the minimum GPA, then you must have a MINIMUM of 1400 on the SAT I plus a total SAT II combined score of 1850 to even be considered for admission (i.e. "UC eligible)at ANY UC school.

HEre's a direct quote from the UC's web site describing minimum requirements for non-residents - you can access this information (including detailed information on how to compute the UC GPA) at www.ucop.edu/pathways:

"Scholarship Requirement: If your GPA is 3.4 or above, you satisfy the minimum Scholarship Requirement if you achieve the test score indicated in the Eligibility Index under nonresidents.

Eligibility by Examination Alone: You must earn a composite score of 31 or higher on the ACT or a total score on the SAT I of at least 1400. Your total score on the three SAT II: Subject Tests must be at least 1850 with a minimum score of 530 on each test."

Obviously, you fell short on one of these requirements. UC Berkeley will use the same requirements as the other UC's. Sorry.

And note: even if you do meet these eligibility requirements for the UC system, there is no guarantee that any UC will accept you - even if one accepts you it does not mean that others will as well.

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

my gpa for years are :
9th: 2.80/5.00
10th: 3.30/5.00
11th: 4.08/5.00
12th: 4.18/5.00

Sats: 780v + 480m : 1260 (one shot)
SAt2s: 780 m1c
680 German
480 writing
597 toefl

By Chochoad (Chochoad) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Yea dude. One of my friends is in a situation similar to yours. His GPA is a 3.0 and his SATs are around 1300 and SAT IIs are in the high 600s/low 700s. He just got a letter from UC Riverside telling him that he didn't meet the minimum eligibility requirements, so he's going to email the admissions office to see whats up. You should do the same, just to be sure what the deal is over there in Davis. Good Luck!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Pcgo, as I read your stats, I don't see where you're eligible: GPA, SAT I, SAT II. You bomb out on all three.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

9th: 2.80/5.00
10th: 3.30/5.00
11th: 4.08/5.00
12th: 4.18/5.00

Pcgo - is this GPA based on the UC GPA scale? If so, your GPA for sophomore and junior years is 3.6 and you just meet the combined test scores for eligibility for non-residents.

However, I suspect that this is not the case that you are including all courses in the above GPA. Only honors, AP and IB classes are counted on a five point scale by the UC. That is most likely the problem. Go to the web site above and drop out the classes that do not fall into the a-g UC subject areas and recompute your GPA. www.ucop.edu/pathways

In any case, you are definitely not eligible based on examination alone --- that 480 SAT II score immediately disqualifies you, as does not getting above 1400 on the SAT I.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page