This is Odd...UNC ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: This is Odd...UNC ?
By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:24 am: Edit

D. is deferred from UNC. I just checked her status online and the deferral letter is gone..it just says UNC is reviewing app.
Also I looked under her financial status and it says the FAFSA was received in March. WE FILED IT FIRST WEEK IN JAN! So why would it not have been received till March.. OR did they just not bother to pull it till now. We also filed CSS profile and it did get that when we filed.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

Not sure about UNC deferral but often a school upon initial review will defer decision until all applications are in and it knows the quality and number of the whole pool of applicants. As to FAFSA, if you filed on line, and designated UNC, the school is informed of that fact and then it waits to access your FAFSA when it comes time for it to start to make decisions on aid in March and thus it is received in March.

By Patsmom (Patsmom) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Where do you go to look at financial status? S was accepted and they took his acceptance letter off the website, too - I thought that was weird. I would like to check financial status but didn't know we could.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

So Drusba I understand they waited to make a decision on her till they reviewed all apps. She applied EA and was deferred.
But are you saying that they finally accessed her FAFSA because they most likely made a POSITIVE decision on her and want to see what aid she needs..and didnt bother to look at it before cus she was not accepted then?
Or maybe they want to see if she wants aid prior to making a decision on her?
Patsmom I cant remember where the financial place was..next time I visit I will check. I was just looking around at the site and found some place on checking your status.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Patsmom, it was under applicantcentral.unc.edu
let me know what you find there

By Patsmom (Patsmom) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Angst, thanks for the link! I had no idea that page existed. I found the newstudents.unc.edu page, too. It has a ton of good information.

I checked the financial aid area and it said they got the FAFSA in March. I filed mine the first week of January so I guess Drusba is right about them waiting to access the FAFSAs until March.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

right..I just wonder if they access it if student is not admitted..Drusba???

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

does the same thing work for transfers? It says my SID doesn't work...I'll call tomorrow

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:40 am: Edit

Maybe all the FAFSAS get pulled at the same time regardless of admissions.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

Pulling your FAFSA in March probably does not tell you anything as they simply download from the FAFSA site all FAFSAs then for students who have applied.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page