I have no way to improve, if i'm rejected, i'm doomed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: I have no way to improve, if i'm rejected, i'm doomed
By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 08:54 am: Edit

my sat score is already 1580 which i can't improve much.

i missed the deadline (march 1st) to find schools to administer my AP exams for me, so i won't be able to pile up my AP grades any more.

sure i can improve the intangibles, but...

any way, if i get rejected this year, i won't have drastic improvements as i had last year.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 08:57 am: Edit

i found my spirit deteriating, quite unlike the Amylase last year.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:28 am: Edit

You could always find a way to write your essays better. Try finding a copy of Harry Bauld's "On Writing The College Application Essay".

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:28 am: Edit

And don't worry! If I remember your stats were quite impressive, and you applied to a lot of schools. They can't all reject you! Have faith!

By Piquant77 (Piquant77) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

Amylase, I realize you probably feel the pain of app season more than the rest of us because of what happened to you last year. However, I'm sure you realize by now that it was basically inevitable and are the wiser for it; you can't apply to just 5 or 6 of the top top U.S. schools, especially as an int'l from China!

I think what's important is that you have learned from your mistakes and have done your best. You worked hard and your improvements are really admirable! Besides, aren't you just a senior this year? It's unhealthy that this is getting to you so much ("spirit-deteriorating"), and this is not the first time; one could tell this was your post before one even clicked on it.

Like I said before, I sympathize because of what happened to you last year. But really, for your own good: Relax. Have fun. Be grateful you aren't in IB. :P What's done is done anyway, and you're sure to be admitted somewhere if you've applied properly (safeties, etc.). Your worth is not based upon which schools accept you.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

AAAAAARGH!!! I want to be the first to express my frustration at your perpetual morbidity. On EVERY forum, it's "I'm DOOMED!!" or "Oh NO, MY REJECTION LETTERS ARE PROBABLY IN THE MAIL!!!"

Stop it! RELAX. Get on with your life! It's not like everyone else is in the middle of a psychological walk in the park. You're NOT going to get rejected by every school that you applied to, unless your essays display the same attitude as your posts on CC. If that's the case, then expect a series of thin envelopes in the mail. Of course, I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to submit an essay that goes "OH NO, I AM NOT GOING TO GET INTO YOUR SCHOOL!!!!" so you shouldn't have that problem.

Don't take this personally. I'm sure you're a nice kid and everything. It's just that YOU ARE DRIVING ME INSANE!!! STOP WORRYING SO MUCH and do whatever it is you do every day.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Icansmile4u (Icansmile4u) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:35 am: Edit

Amylase
I was very impressed with your stats before and frequent useful posts you made previously. But these days, I find your posts more often here and they rather come as big disappointments to me, if you know what I am talking about.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Hi, Amylase,
You sound a bit like me in my more depressed moments. I get bouts of feeling doomed from time to time. When that happens to me, getting out of the house and doing something active helps in the short term (this sometimes takes both my DH and DS yelling at me to get out).

In the long term, trying to look at the situation rationally may help. I haven't been able to find your most recent list of schools that you've applied to - I gather that you should have included safeties in the last go round. If you have safeties now - about all you can do is wait for May - and tell yourself that you've given it your best shot. A friend of mine only escaped the same situation because her mother forced her to apply to her (the mother's) very much less competitive alma mater. It was a stressful few months, but all has worked out well for her in the end. Best wishes and keep posting.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

I think he's kinda annoying. This is the tenth post he's made like this.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

sorry to bother you guys, i won't bother you ever again

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Stop being so melodramatic, shutup

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

lol, amylase is a communist by the way.

By Mrblueskies (Mrblueskies) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

amylase they are just insensitive, dont listen to them.

By Mels (Mels) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

why do you say that lovetheriver?

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

mrblueskies, this is the 10th post he has created having to do with how bad his chances are of getting in. Frankly, nobody cares anymore. He is just looking for attention.

SPAM!

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

what happened to him last year?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Amylase,
While I like you and wish you well, I wish you would confine your private fears of doom to writing in your private diary. I, too, am tired of reading so many melodramatic posts by you.

No one, no matter how marvelous,is guaranteed of getting into an Ivy. Most people who apply to top schools will get rejected. As a result, wise people find some acceptable safety schools, and also don't pin their self acceptance on whether Harvard and similar colleges accept them.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

I wish I could be as nice as you northstarmom. Thank you!

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I think it would be ironic and strangely satisfying to see Amylase NOT be accepted to an Ivy. I do not quite understand why people become so obessive over such things.

Concern is fine--incessant posting about one's chances is really tedious and annoying.

You have just as good a chance as everyone else--although I, personally, cheer for people whose lives are not so focused on getting that perfect test score.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

someone want to fill me in on what happened last year? lol

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Nothing. He just posts again and again about how pessimistic he is. It's really quite sad.

The kid only wants attention.

By Mrblueskies (Mrblueskies) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I don't think that you guys understand failure...

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Oh? Anyone who really lives experiences failure. Actually, even timid play-it-safe souls experience failure, too, for all their attempts at avoidance. But you should not throw a word like "failure" around loosely. Equating not getting into a particular college is, at best, a narcissitic definition of failure. Though I agree it should probably be giggled at rather than cranked at.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Come on people, cut this poor kid some slack. We all have goals in life and some people are just particularly more goal-oriented.

We are all in this together and I'd be the first to admit that I get depressed when thinking about colleges too. In fact, likely Amylase, sometimes I don't think I will get into any.

It's all part of the process. Not everyone has to be supportive, but let's not deride Amylase.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Oh please, he's just looking for attention. He's gotten our support in the past, but it's getting to the point of being ridiculous.

His posts are clogging up the forum.

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

The ones who aren't stressing are the ones who already got accepted somewhere:/

By Mrblueskies (Mrblueskies) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Amylase got rejected from like 6 colleges last year, not just a particular one, thedad.

Anyway, I don't feel like arguing, I just think that you guys are being a little harsh on him. You can just ignore posts instead of yelling at him.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

He knows the risk he took by applying to all top tier schools. If he wants to go to college, have him apply to a few more realistic choices.

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Why Amylase would be far too good for that!! To waste a near-perfect SAT score on a lower-tier school?? Or, dare I say it, a school in his native country?

Blasphemy!

By Tri_N (Tri_N) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

I don't know. I feel kind of sorry for him. I pity him almost. You know why? It's because he thinks that test scores are the only ones that colleges look for. I just skim through his posts from last year and he has come a long way with his test scores. I have no doubt that he busts his ass on these scores just to improve them. However, I think the problem is that elite colleges look for scholars, not great test takers. His EC contains zip. His writing ability is limited and poor. I hope that the colleges of his choice admit him. I hope that your #1 college admits all of you.

Amylase, if you're rejected this year, maybe you should consider a life or pursue an interest in your senior year. I know your parents threaten to disown you if you don't make it but keep your head up.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Edited. One can comment without cruelty.
Moderator DoveofPeace

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

amylase, are you not a senior, for some reason? wait, so you first applied to colleges sophomore year? why would you do that? oh, and if you're good at test-taking, you should try for chinese universities, since all you do to qualify is take a long long test, right? there's lots of really good chinese universities, like qing hua and bei da. and cheer up! i wish you luck on your mit decision!

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Amylase got rejected last year from Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford and Caltech.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Why didn't he apply to like Penn State or NYU, or some less difficult schools to get in.

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

well thats too bad. perhaps your negative attitude is displayed in your essays. perhaps your frequent posting of your lack of qualification shows a lack of maturity. dude calm down and give it time. you're still a junior, right? end of my junior year i was really uptight and freaking out but now i'm like... ok... things are going well... three weeks and then i'll have a little more hold on my future but i'm still doing pretty well. calm down, take a deep breath, do some yoga, write in a journal, whatever works dude just stop posting this stuff about being inadequate because its clear to everyone that you are not.

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Lots of people get rejected from those. I agree he should have been more realistic.

By Doveofpeace (Doveofpeace) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

I am closing the thread because I don't think that further discussion of this particular issue would be productive.
Moderator DoveofPeace

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page