WAS ALL THE WORK IN HS WORTH IT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: WAS ALL THE WORK IN HS WORTH IT?
By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

IN THE UCLA CONVERSATIONS AND IN GENERAL I'VE SEEN SO MANY STUDENTS REJECTED WHO SAY THEY'VE WORKED SO HARD AND FOR WHAT?
MY QUESTION IS, WERE ALL THE EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES AND ALL THE CLASSES YOU TOOK, DONE SO THAT YOU COULD BE ADMITTED OR WERE YOU REALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT WHAT YOU DID?
BECAUSE I'M A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL BUT I KNOW THAT I DON'T TRY TO IMPRESS SOMEONE WITH A LIST OF THINGS IF I'M NOT TRULY PASSIONATE ABOUT SOMETHING. AND IF I'M REJECTED IT WON'T BE A DISAPPOINTMENT BECAUSE AT LEAST I'LL KNOW THAT I WAS BEING TRUE TO MYSELF AND NOT WHAT SOME SCHOOLS WANTS.

By Nikelaos (Nikelaos) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

wow, if that weren't all in caps I'd applaud you for your post which I completely agree with. GPA mongerers who fought for that great-looking 4.0 might have seemed to be "successful" in high school, but in the end, those who wanted the grade for the sake of the grade don't really get much in life... only the satisfation of looking great. What's more important is who you are rather than who you seem to be...

but yeah, you wrote all in caps and that automatically discredits anything you say, in my book. (jk :P)

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Lol, i wrote in all caps because i was too lazy to push the shift button to make bigger the letters that needed to.
But yes you got the point I was trying to make.

By Shahab (Shahab) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

nikelaos, if you think High School is just a lot of kids posturing, wait until you get into the real world. Sadly, the cutthroat skills some learn in high school serve them well in the world outside academia

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

To answer your question...

No

And to supplant this answer..

The work in high school was worth it on a level where you want to acheive personal growth, but concerning admissions...no, because admissions are subjective and random.

This proves why it is not a bad idea to apply to as many schools as possible, regardless of what anyone says.

By Nikelaos (Nikelaos) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

oh shabab, I know that this attitude is not going to magically disappear in the work force, but that doesn't mean that it's not equally as disgusting. I'd honestly take being a more complete, happy human being over monetary wealth any day.

liek- haha, I was just playing with you :) yes, I understood your point and that's all that matters ;P

By Highschoolda (Highschoolda) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Absolutely!!!!!!

I've taken AP chem, AP Bio, AP Physics, AP Physics, AP Psych, AP Calc.

Not only did i get college credit, but i have tons of knowledge which puts me ahead of the game. Knowledge is power.

What;s so special about UCLA. Most of the proffesors do research and don't teach, no parking, and high drop out rate.

Cheer up people, not the end of the world.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

LOL. I think it depends on the person. I mean, the REAL reason why people should take challenging classes like the APs and join the ECs is because THEY they enjoy the experience. My friend got into Harvard after he graduated from my old high school who had NO ecs whatsoever. I can't explain how sorry this school was and I think what got him in was his LOVE for chemistry. I also know another guy who went to Brown with a terrible high school transcript and an average comm. college transcript. He got in because he had a story to tell. We have to understand that knowledge is not measured by numbers...
Remember, people are so caught up in this whole rank, and score thing, that they are becomming just like the next person...Grades and ecs are a factor, but it doesn't measure who you really are.

And with that, just because you didn't get into a school that you wanted to, doesn't mean that all the hard work wasn't worth it... If you had fun doing it,,,then it was worth it.

"Cheer up people, not the end of the world" I couldn't have said it better myself.

By Excusememixed (Excusememixed) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Yep, it was worth it, because I didn't waste my time on things that I thought "looked good." I did things that interested me and challenged me. I made some great friends and had a good time. On top of that, I still managed to get into my top school.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

See that's what I 'm talking about, what excusememixed and yodi said, I believe that's the way it should be not a feigned or tried impression. It should naturally be out of personal interest.

By Sammileah (Sammileah) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

yes

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

My dream school is Parsons School of Design, and it's known as the place to be for fashion design(what I want to do. If not admitted it won't be a deception because if it wasn't meant to be, then it wasn't meant to be. There are other schools that offer my major, a school doesn't make who you become, the person makes the school. If your driven enough to be someone in your career field a rejection from a well known school for a particular major you were interested in, is only a speed bump.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Good lord, I'm getting really upset with people insinuating with that the people who got rejected from UCLA were grademongers and resume padders. I got rejected from UCLA. I took AP classes because I wanted to (and got low Bs). The only time I dropped a class was because I was failing Chemistry (think about having a 35 in that class, yea that's pretty bad), and honestly that is the only time I've dropped a class to save my fricking GPA. Otherwise, I've taken a handful of C's & D's and the like for marking periods (thank goodness they didn't show on my transcript!). I have decent ECs (maybe even on the low side) because I PREFERRED to commit to a few activities instead of many. It was just unfortunate I didn't win any honors, but that doesn't mean I didn't care about what I did. UCLA was a motivator, but it wasn't the only motivator.

Look. The fact is rejection hurts. Think about the last time some girl/guy rejected you on a date. Even if you didn't like that person a lot, it's still a blow. You can and try and be apathetic as it you want, but we're not robots. Satin hit it right on the dot in the other thread w/ the same name.

By Myway (Myway) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

no, it wasn't worth it. but i don't regret it, bec i can look back and laugh about it. all of it makes for a brilliant anecdote.

By Highschoolda (Highschoolda) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

One thing, I don't know why
It doesn't even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind
I designed this rhyme, to remind myself how
I tried so hard
(I tried so hard)
In spite of the way you were mocking me
Acting like I was part of your property
Remembering all the times you fought with me
I'm surprised it got so far
(It got so far)

Linkin Park

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Linkin Parks >HYP

They rock in general.
I loved Meteora and can't wait until the next album.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Emyh, I've read enough of your posts to know that you're not a grade-grubber. But if you read through all the UCLA threads, several students said things like "What was the point of taking all those EC's?" or "Why did I work so hard?" I think those are the kinds of posts the OP was addressing. Peace.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

I'm not dissing anyone who did it out of interest and lament it for those who got rejected and weren't trying to make an impression, I'm just asking the people who were trying to make an impression because personally now-a-days how do you really stand out with all these people trying to top each other by involving themselves in more things they don't really care about just so that they can appear like Mother Theresa(or however you spell her name), I've seen it from personal experience, and it shows, and the way I see it, it's a form of bragging.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

BTW what does bump mean?

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Basically all I'm saying is don't b**ch because you didn't get in. If you enjoyed what you did then at least you got pleasure out of doing it, and if you didn't enjoy what you did then I hope you learned to be yourself.
Personally it get's me mad when people put up a front. I'm not saying I've never have, but at least now I know it's better to be real then fake. My respects go to the people who actually love community service, but as a normal teenager I rather hang out with friends and do what I want to do instead of doing something I'm going to hate just so that I can get into that dream school. If someone likes you for who you are good for them, if someone doesn't like you for who you are good for you. Because why should people depend on what people see you as, it's about being true to yourself and not true to someone else.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Thank you Thedad, you got my point. Everyone read Emyh's message then read Thedad, before you actually start dissing me.

By Awesome (Awesome) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

bump = bring up my post

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Lol. I'm funny.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

I don't get it but thanks anyways.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

I don't get it, I still don't know what it means. But thanks anways. Awesome your awesome.

By Lilskeetums17 (Lilskeetums17) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

Everytime you add a post to a discussion it brings that discussion to the top of the page so more people see it

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now I get it, thanks.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now I get it, thanks.

By Die_Emperor_Die (Die_Emperor_Die) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

There is no guaranteed formula for success. I'm hardly a grade grubber...I only took a few AP classes I was actually interested in and I had only a few EC's which I had a lot of depth in. Personally, I don't enjoy having to spend time in school longer than I have to..I view high school as a mere, tiny aspect of my life and prefer to have my own personal time to myself. If that's why UCLA rejected me, then so be it.

I also know a significant of serial-clubbers and grade grubbers who got into UCLA.

By Vigilante (Vigilante) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

ok it's nice to pretend that you really worked that hard for your own development, and you couldn't care less if you get accepted somewhere because in the end you were true to yourself, but seriously anyone who says that is lying. can you honestly say you spent $700 and 90hrs prepping for the SATs for your own enjoyment?
c'mon guys give me a break

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

NO, but I can honestly say I wouldn't pay 700 to up my score and not love what I was doing.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions.
I've been kind of edgy lately.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:40 am: Edit

Emyh, I understand. The stress is...high.

By Araesova (Araesova) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:56 am: Edit

Ok this is how I feel. I am getting a 94% in my calculus class. "Wow, I could really do this, and I am starting to enjoy it," I say to myself. I start liking the subject, and I begin to consider it as my major. But wait, wtf?!?!? my grade is dropping down to 90%...Now I hate this class...ooooo look at my grade go up 3%. What I am trying to say is that for some reason, I don't know the reason, the high school system does not allow you to enjoy a subject, for my grade always begins to drop when I like a subject. Well this is for me, I don't know if anybody else is like this. Please post addressing your feeling on this matter, I just hope I'm not the only one like this because I really like to learn in school. And please don't assume that if one has a 4.2 GPA they are not possionate about learning. I serve as an example. So what do you guys think, do you start doing bad in a class once you begin to enjoy it? Thnx

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:56 am: Edit

THE SYSTEM IS MESSED UP, SHAHAB, WOULDN'T THE WORLD BE A MUCH BETTER PLACE IF IT WASN'T SO CUTTHROAT. BUT BACK TO GRADES, SURE GRADES ARE SIGNIFICANT TO SOME DEGREE AS THEY SHOW HOW MUCH TIME AND EFFORT YOU PUT INTO YOUR WORK EVERYNIGHT, BUT ON THE SAME TOKEN AS LONG AS YOU HAVE ATLEAST A 3.0, i think YOU CAN STILL BE JUST AS SUCCESSFUL AS THOSE GRADE MONGERS IN THE LONG RUN, AS GRADES DON'T MAKE THE PERSON, MAYBE I'M A TAD BIT BIASED AS I ONLY HAD A 3.3 IN HIGH SCHOOL AND PUT FORTH VERY MINIMAL EFFORT IN THE HOMEWORK DEPARTMENT, BUT WE'LL SEE HOW SUCCESSFUL I'LL MAKE IT, HOPEFULLY I WON'T WIND UP IN A GUTTER SOMEWHERE.

dude but basically what i'm trying to say, if i learned one thing in high school, it would be, just do what you ENJOY, don't do anything for college. If you do what you enjoy and get grades that are satisfactory for the effort you want to put forth than you'll wind up in a college that is made for you and essentially you'll be better suited their anyways and most likely enjoy it more.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:17 am: Edit

I couldn't have said it better myself...good point.
"I want to do instead of doing something I'm going to hate just so that I can get into that dream school. If someone likes you for who you are good for them, if someone doesn't like you for who you are good for you. Because why should people depend on what people see you as, it's about being true to yourself and not true to someone else." --Liek
If you don't mind, I would like to use that quote in an essay I'm doing about the whole admissions process.
Anyway, I applaud everyone for voicing their opinions but the generalization that Vigilante makes is very wrong... "...you couldn't care less if you get accepted somewhere because in the end you were true to yourself, but seriously anyone who says that is lying." How can you say that?
Do you know why people get into Harvard or Stanford? They get in because there is something that sets each INDIVIDUAL apart in what THEY believe is an ideal student. I'm very satisfied with any decision a college sends me. If I don't fit into NYU or UNC Chapel Hill's idea of an ideal student, then so be it. I'm perfectly content with my grades and although I KNOW I can be a 4.0 student, I choose not to because I HATE doing work and studying,,,and I also HATE doing homework. I would never change ANYTHING to fit into "someone elses" image of what a student should be. YOUR "perfect" match will be the college that accepts you because to them,,,you're ideal.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

overall, i think its a persons attitude toward life.

i think my 4 years of hard work were worth it in the sense that i knew i tried my hardest and did my best. there were things i've done that i'm not proud of, but i didnt compromise my own goals and beliefs to try to fit a mold.

in terms of college admissions, i can see how people are demoralized after being rejected. i think most of the people who said they worked so hard for nothing in the UCLA thread just had a natural reaction. they probably dont mean it, but its hard not to feel that way. that was certainly my first reaction when i was deferred Princeton ED.

it's not always a good feeling to watch the grade-grubbers get in to a highly selective school when you are rejected for doing what you liked/enjoyed, but didnt have the stats they did.

sure, schools look at who you are and what you enjoy, and having a list of 29357 activities will obvious show that you are only doing EC's to add to your resume. however, the truth of the matter is that these schools are still looking for people who have top notch grades, GPA's, scores, and extracurriculars to fill their freshman class.

rare to find are those who have done everything for the SOLE purpose of self growth and development, without college in mind.

i can honestly and shamelessly say right now that there are certain decisions i made in high school that were based partly on "looking better" for colleges. however, i personally truly enjoyed taking the challenges and making the decisions that i did. i look back on my past 4 years now and realize how fulfilling they really were and how much i've grown. i dont regret it at all, and i think they were worth it.

even if i didnt get into my dream school, i would still not think i wasted the last 4 years.

i feel sorry for the grade-grubbers who work solely to get into ________(enter college of your choice), package themselves perfectly, pay thousands for prep classes, and end up rejected. those are the people who have truly WASTED the last 4 years, and i hope they learned their lesson.

me? i did take an SAT prep class, but i knew that i had to kick up my score 60 points of so to hit the level i needed to be at for the scholarships i wanted. i've taken certain AP classes that i wasnt greatly enthusiastic about. but in general, high school was such a great learning experience for me, and i wouldnt change it for the world.

in the end, those who shine will always shine, and those who are true to themselves will get the last laugh.

yesterday, i received a likely letter from my top choice school, and i felt like all the work i did in high school truly paid off. would i feel the same way if i were rejected from all of my schools besides for my safeties? probably not at first, but at the end, yes.

:):)

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

All the crap I did was to get into a good college. If it weren't for college, I would have just been a lazy bum all through high school. Luckily it paid off, I got into my 1st choice ED.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Fwiw, I think hs is the absolute worst: high stress, relatively high stakes, and so little control. Absent something like being in the military, you will never again be in a place where so much of your day is spoken for in a way that's beyond control. Even working a 9-5 job, you can go to the bathroom without getting a hall pass, won't have never-ending amounts of work most nights (unless you're an investment banker or lawyer), etc. etc. etc. etc. Even changing jobs is within your control, which changing schools isn't for most people.

However, Sirm, you're still wrong about the Slacker's Path.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Well I worked really hard up until about 9th grade, if I hadn't worked hard up until then, I would honestly wind up in a gutter. Sometimes I wish I put more effort into my work. In english I read the novels, I enjoyed, and rejected the ones I didn't enjoy. I'm pretty certain I have a pretty severe case of ADD, because I have such a hard time concentrating on something, like whenever I tried to do my math homework it was hellish, I could never get any work done. The only reason I could maintain a 3.3, is due to the fact I didn't take any honors or AP classes, otherwise my GPA would've been in the gutter and I would've had to pick up the slack in a major way. I always tried my hardest to stay focused in class and felt very privaliged to have the oppertunity to learn things in a worryless environment, in other parts of the world, people are struggling to survive from day to day, all I have to do is go to school and broaden my knowledge. It's not that I don't mind working hard, but it seems like I never got in a homework doing groove, due to my ADD and mainly because I played basketball to my death and our practices were somewhat ridiculous, i'd come home without any energy to do anything and would normally just fall asleep really earlier. If I could go back and change things, I would NEVER have played basketball as my coaches were basically drill sargeants (coach was an ex navy seal).

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

The dad if you're a slacker in whatever you're doing in the real world, you won't be successful at it. If you're a slacker in school you won't be successful in school. Although, the real world and school are obviously two different things. I think the reason most grade gubbers and non-slackers are extremeley successful in school and when they get out of school, is because they have an amazing work ethic, and they can apply that to their lives. I worked extremely hard at other things, like surfing, i've become really good at it, because i've dedicated lots of time to it and ENJOY it. The same goes for basketball, it used to be my pride and joy, until it became so overly competitive in high school. I figure, as a moderate slacker, I'll do something I enjoy (like day trading) so I won't have to look at it as "work". School i don't "enjoy" unlike other people on this board, you can't hold it against me.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Actually I do mind Yodi. You can't use it!!!!!!!. No I'm just kidding. Go ahead, I'd feel special

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet"

By Rushzeeman (Rushzeeman) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:49 am: Edit

Well if you read one of my posts it was pretty much similar but to clarify... I enjoyed every single one of the EC's I have done. Track and Field has made me stronger and put me in good shape, debate has made me a better speaker, being president has given the ability to lead people and through the safe school committee and other community services I have been able to improve my school and community. What I was getting at in my post was that UCLA said that they look highly at grades but will also take into consideration if your personal achievements are high too. So the fact that I got rejected initially felt like they really didn't look at everything else I've done, just my grades. I'm over it now though :P

By Emokidsunite (Emokidsunite) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

i think it's a waste if you spend four years of your life doing something you hate just because you THINK it may help you in the future. and even if you do manage to achieve the ends, i really don't think it's worth it. that's four years of your life gone. and life is already short enough as is.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

Well put Emo. Even though you don't seem very EMO.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

Sirm, a tri-athlete can tap strength/endurance pretty much at will. A couch potato can't.

The thing about non-slackers isn't just work ethic, it's the habits of mind. You can't just turn it on when you feel like it.

Also, it's a bad idea to confuse pleasure with fulfillment.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:33 am: Edit

I'd like to think my life is very similiar to the Sinatra song, Born Free.....

Argh. I can't check my APP status for Davis, because I forgot my ID login name, it has been so long since I set it up.

By Emokidsunite (Emokidsunite) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:33 am: Edit

haha, saved, i knew i'd get a little flack for this screenname sooner or later. just didn't think it would take THIS long for somebody to notice...

By Slayer (Slayer) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 06:39 am: Edit

honestly, no. it wasn't worth it. i guess i'm a "grade grubber" like you're talking about, and if i had to do it again i wouldn't have worried and tried so hard in a few classes over the years i struggled in. i'm ending up the same place as everyone else--i just worked a lot harder to get there. but be active in high school.don't do anything for the purpose of "this looks good for college" though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page