WAS ALL THE WORK IN HS WORTH IT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: WAS ALL THE WORK IN HS WORTH IT?
By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

IN THE UCLA CONVERSATIONS AND IN GENERAL I'VE SEEN SO MANY STUDENTS REJECTED WHO SAY THEY'VE WORKED SO HARD AND FOR WHAT?
MY QUESTION IS, WERE ALL THE EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES AND ALL THE CLASSES YOU TOOK, DONE SO THAT YOU COULD BE ADMITTED OR WERE YOU REALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT WHAT YOU DID?
BECAUSE I'M A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL BUT I KNOW THAT I DON'T TRY TO IMPRESS SOMEONE WITH A LIST OF THINGS IF I'M NOT TRULY PASSIONATE ABOUT SOMETHING. AND IF I'M REJECTED IT WON'T BE A DISAPPOINTMENT BECAUSE AT LEAST I'LL KNOW THAT I WAS BEING TRUE TO MYSELF AND NOT WHAT SOME SCHOOLS WANTS.

By Satin94 (Satin94) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

It was a mix of both. I'm sure that although you say that you don't do anything for college, you do. People don't just take AP's because they are passionate to learn advanced physics or calculus, they do it partially for college.

The other thing is that, not to be rude, but I don't think you understand. I didn't think I would be dissapointed a week ago at all. Yet I'm extremely depressed. It's different when you are in the situation. People dream to go to UCLA and work hard for themselves, and internally believe it will help them get into UCLA. It's an indescribable feeling of almost heartbreak when you read that letter saying that they are not offering you admission. Hopefully, you won't have to go through it. But if you do, you'll see what I mean.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Well I was saying that because I've seen other people who have gotten into UCLA, USC, and NYU who haven't forced themselves to take what everyone would consider a prerequisite to think to even apply to those schools and they've gotten in due to pursuing their own interest and not because of their invulicration in AP's and what not.
My dream school is Parsons School of Design, and it's known as the place to be for fashion design(what I want to d0. If not admitted it won't be a deception because if it wasn't meant to be, then it wasn't meant to be. There are other schools that offer my major, a school doesn't make who you become, the person makes the school. If your driven enough to be someone in your career field a rejection from a well known school for a particular major you were interested in, is only a speedbump.

By Satin94 (Satin94) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

I agree with you in a way, I'm sure everyone does because its pretty much logical thinking. However, I still think you don't understand. Nobody understands until they get rejected from a school they really want to go to. Because I was in your position only a week ago before I got rejected from UCLA, saying the exact same thing you are saying.

By Toxicity01 (Toxicity01) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Whoo! I agree. Sports suck. I hate sports.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Go die.

But seriously, sports rock. They help on so many levels. They bring together people. They help colleges and the economy. Without sports, there would be so much less unity between groups of people.

Just look at The University of Florida.

Go Gators!

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

I think Satin is right. High school is simply a stepping stone. I think it is the rare individual that leaves high school able to reminisce on a highly enriching intellectual experience. That's what college is for.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page