UC Regents scholarship

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: UC Regents scholarship
By Sjparent (Sjparent) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

My daughter got accepted with 4 year Regents scholarship at UCLA. Does anyone know if the regents Scholarship is tranferable? She haa also applied to UCSD and is also invited to interview for the UCSD's combined med program.Aceptance rate is very low. Wondering if she gets selected whether she can transfer the scholarship. Anyone?

By Sac (Sac) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Congratulations to your daughter! I answered this on another thread, but the answer to the question is no. I'd bet she'll get offered a regents at UCSD as well.

By Sjparent (Sjparent) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Thanks Sac. Sorry, I didn't realize this was answered. The reason I asked about this is because she had to write an essay and send in teachers's reccomendation etc. for the UCLA Regents scholarship. From UCSD, she has only received an invitation for an interview for the combinedMD program and an acknowledgment when she submitted the application. Does the UCSD not program have a selection process with and essay or interview?

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

The original UC application is also a scholarship application. Most of the UCs choose the regents scholarship solely from that application, and do not require essays, recs, interview etc. My understanding is that UCSD will choose the Regents Scholars and send them congratulations. I don't think the announcements have occurred yet.

Because UCLA's and UCB's applicant pool is the most competitive of the UCs, and since your daughter was selected at UCLA, I would guess that she will also receive the honor from UCSD.

Of course, in reality anything can happen, because the individual campuses have discretion about which qualities they consider most worthy of a regents scholarship.

By Sac (Sac) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Siparent,
UCSD requires nothing beyond the admissions application in choosing who gets a Regent. No essay or interview. My son who also got the Regent at UCLA and was interviewed for one at UCB, so far has received from UCSD only the invitation to interview for the MD program (not his thing) and a letter from the college he applied to at UCSD about a Scholar's Day for top applicants. Nothing so far from UCSD mentioned a Regents.

However, looking on the UCSD website, the campus seems to have many more merit scholarships than the other campuses. I'd bet your daughter would be competitive either for a Regents or some other merit scholarship at UCSD, given her success with UCLA.

Is she more interested in UCSD?

By Sjparent (Sjparent) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:25 am: Edit

Sac,

My D also received an invitation for the Scholar's Day at UCSD in the mail today.She is only interested in the UCSD MD program. Otherwise she is leaning towards UCLA.The essay based selection process at UCLA threw me off and thought may be she didn't make the cut UCSD.But now I found out each campus has its own selection criteria

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page