Who are Asians ????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Who are Asians ????
By Ravi-Indian on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 12:52 am: Edit

In a thread ‘AA and Biracial’ it was mentioned that that ‘Pakistani is not Asian heritage’ !!!!!!!!!’
That made me and wonder. Then what is considered as Asian? Only ‘Mongolian / Chinese ’ origin. Then What is Indians , Pakistani’s and Arabs considered as ???
I always thought that Indian sub-continent as Asia , and China , Singapore etc as East Asia or Far East and Arab countries and Mediterranean as Near East.
May I have your comments , especially from any ‘expert’ reading this

By Simple rule of thumb on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 03:33 am: Edit

The only asians who think of Indians as Asians are the Indians themselves. Ask any non-asian about the word Asian and you will get Chinese or Japanese from them.

By 45 on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

India is in Asia, so of course they're Asian. Are they East Asian? No. When you say Asian, do you automatically think East Indian before China? That depends on the person. I heard that British person thinks of the East Indians first, while Americans usually think East Asians.

By smith on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

45 writes like a non US. can I have comments from US residents about this

By Darren on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Asian isn't necessarily a term that can be labeled on every person from Asia. After all, there is no South American race or European race or Australian race.

By AFPB on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

In Britain 'Asian' in the mass media tends to mean Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan or Bangladeshi. People from the Far East are usually described as 'Oriental'.

By .. on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

indians are south asians

By formosa4eva on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:09 am: Edit

Taiwanese are not known as Asians, they are pacific islanders.

By Jiang on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Taiwanese are Asians. 95% of the Taiwanese are ethnic Han who migrated from the Chinese mainland.

By Taiwanese/Chinese pride on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Taiwanese are Asians as well as Chinese. Don't believe me? Hmm 90% of the people in Taiwan are descendants of Han Chinese from the mainland, also the official language is Mandarin.

By Ravi on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 02:29 am: Edit

What are Arabs , Iranians etc ??? Are they considered a part of Asians ????

By Jiang on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:27 am: Edit

Middle Easterners are grouped as "white" for college admissions.

By u on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 05:37 pm: Edit

The word asian is a label to classify people. It depends on what you would like to label a person, so i don't see why it would matter. Think what you think, do what you must. Asian is asian, so i just think of asian as from asia to avoid all this oriental middle-eastern are or are not crap.

By tanya on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 05:52 am: Edit

The Indian subcontinent, the Arabian peninsula, the eastern half of the Turkish peninisula, and much of Russia are part of Asia for those who don't know their geography!Asia stretches from Israel and Turkey to Japan and Siberia. If you are from that huge area, you are asian. I'm a white Russian and technically I'm asian because I come from the Asian part of Russia.

By Abibored (Abibored) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 09:11 am: Edit

Its kinda annoying how they ask for the ethnic background.... They hafta fulfil a certain number of students to be that... HOWEVER, aint there some kind of sterotype of their all being Chinese/Japanese? And, no offense, but the majority of them make amazing grades!!! Which make other people not the 'top' of the category... if u know what I mean.... Aaarrgghh!

By Sar (Sar) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

We just have different priorities, that's all.

By Abibored (Abibored) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 09:57 am: Edit

hehe, yeah I guess.... A friend of mine just said: Yeah, we're asians... who have a social life... AND know how to party... Am not that bitter... Just dont like to be placed into categories.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page